Hacking Cyclo is bad buy afterall?

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

At the cyclods forum and also over here I read of cyclo owners corrupting their micosd card (even to the point that formatting isn't possible anymore).
I just bought a Cyclo in order to replace my R4 which I now regret.... I never have the R4 failing on me but can I trust the CycloDs now?

Are those people just unlucky or is there something wrong with the CycloDs (hard- and/or software)?

Rugapand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They must be very unlucky because in the 6 months orso I've had my cycloDs evos they haven't screwed up my micro sd/sdhc cards.

lurbi

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lafleche said:
At the cyclods forum and also over here I read of cyclo owners corrupting their micosd card (even to the point that formatting isn't possible anymore).
I just bought a Cyclo in order to replace my R4 which I now regret.... I never have the R4 failing on me but can I trust the CycloDs now?

CycloDS is together with SCD1 the best and most reliable flashcart there is.

Buying it is definitely not the wrong direction.
Especially if you exchange a R4!

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I heard the MicroSD reader/writer that comes with the CycloDS can corrupt MicroSDs, but this is the first time I've heard of the CycloDS itself corrupting MicroSDs...

I'm using a Hama multi card reader I've bought for ~5 bucks years ago, never had a single problem with my CycloDS so far...

Just backup your saves every once in a while if you fear your MicroSD might get corrupted, is it really that big of a deal?

JPdensetsu

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Taiwan
I already ordered one at Dealextreme ...

Nu ben ik aan het twijfelen ma how zeg
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

platypusrme427

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The cyclo team is constantly putting out new firmwares, and any beta firmware is called BETA for a reason. There can be issues such as the slight possibility of corrupting your card. The cyclo team is so quick on releasing the final firmware that these issues are pretty much nonexistent.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vater Unser said:
I heard the MicroSD reader/writer that comes with the CycloDS can corrupt MicroSDs, but this is the first time I've heard of the CycloDS itself corrupting MicroSDs...

I'm using a Hama multi card reader I've bought for ~5 bucks years ago, never had a single problem with my CycloDS so far...

Just backup your saves every once in a while if you fear your MicroSD might get corrupted, is it really that big of a deal? I have heard this as well. My cyclo reader (silver, non-branded) worked for about 2 days and then wouldn't recognize cards anymore. Ah well it was "free" in my mind.

QUOTE(Keviii94 @ Jul 11 2008, 11:49 AM) But some say that somethingswrong with the sring slot
tongue.gif
Maybe the problem is, it doesn't exist. (No spring anyways.) uSD cards have been known to "stick out" slightly from newer Cyclos.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The problem most likely liews with cheap microSD adapters/readers, I don't think the CycloDS is any more likely than any other flashcard to randomly corrupt the microSD beyond usability.

gratefulbuddy said:
xblackoutx said:
unlucky people stop complaining so this guy will stop bad mouthing the legendary cyclods

spoken like a true fanboy
rofl2.gif

Gamesphere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've had my CycloDS since earlier this year(March), It has never corrupted anything or not supported any game or card I have. I must recommend it. Easily, one of the best cards on the market.

NYCvinster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had mine since release & i've updated the firmware regularly & use the included reader without any problems

klown07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4 and although I like it, i do plan on replacing it with a CycloDS Evo. I heard as well that the card reader that comes with it is no good, and someone gave a link with a very CHEAP card reader but works perfectly. Can't remember the post, but anyways I'm going to buy one with no regrets and no worries.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The microSD corruption WAS a problem but with only 1 firmware (can't remember which).
Team Cyclops quickly fixed the firmware and it doesn't corrupt microSDs. But the included reader can corrupt it, in face any included microSD readers have a high chance of failure.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Corrupt MicroSDs are caused by the card reader and/or your computer, or even the MicroSD itself if it's of bad quality; not the flash card. The first batch of Cyclos came with a very bad MicroSD reader that bricked some people's MicroSDs. This was not the fault of the Cyclo team as they did not manufacture the readers. Also, other flash cards included the bad reader as well because the teams had no idea that the card readers were faulty. However, the current reader (silver Transflash with a black cap) is of very high quality and will not brick your MicroSD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Slappity slap slap