Homebrew cxitool -- convert 3dsx to cia directly

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been trying to figure this out, but I cannot manage to change anything about an existing .3dsx (banner and icon) when converting it to a .cia. (Also, I was initially confused by the original post here which said "cxitool game.3dsx game.cia" instead of "game.cxi" and also this guide for makerom that uses .bin files for banner and icon files). Here's the workflow I used, feel free to find its flaws:

1) User 'bannertool.exe makesmdh' to make a smdh icon file.

2) Use 'bannertool.exe makebanner' to make a bnr banner file.
--I noticed that it would inform you when pointing to a smdh file or a bnr file if the file wasn't the right size, but it listed no limits for the sound file. When I made a custom VC inject for Sonic 3 Complete, I remember the requirements for the sound jingle being strict, but there is no information listed here. It even fully accepted a full length song I was testing.

3) Get the 3dsx file (I am using OpenLara for 3DS)

4) Use cxitool.exe to convert the 3dsx to a cxi
--Here is an opportunity to choose the banner file, but not an icon file. I noticed that if I skip choosing the banner file here and instead try to choose it with makerom.exe, the file size for the final cia doesn't reflect the added size of the bnr file, meaning it looks like makerom.exe doesn't even add the bnr information into the cia file.

5) Use makerom.exe to convert the cxi to cia
--Here you can choose the bnr file and the smdh file, but like I said before, if I do it now, it doesn't seem to actually add it to the final cia's file size.

6) Install the cia on the 3DS with FBI
--Here I can see that, no matter when I inserted the bnr file, neither the bnr file or the smdh file actually apply to the cia. It still has the default black and white Lara Croft icon from the 3dsx file, no banner, and no sound jingle.
You also need an rsf (use its template). I've never used the app of this thread though.
Post automatically merged:

BTW, you may need the elf as I don't think 3dsx can be used.

Last edited by godreborn,
Reactions: PandaPandel

PandaPandel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to this, at "Creating RSF files", "CIA/CCI can be created without using a RSF file, but default settings will be used."
Do you happen to know where RSF files go?

I've been stuck for days trying to add a banner to a 3dsx. App I converted to CIA.

You all seem to be the closest I've seen to figuring out exactly why. Any help would be so appreciated.

Last edited by PandaPandel,

PandaPandel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AD

AD
Advertisement

So I've been trying to figure this out, but I cannot manage to change anything about an existing .3dsx (banner and icon) when converting it to a .cia. (Also, I was initially confused by the original post here which said "cxitool game.3dsx game.cia" instead of "game.cxi" and also this guide for makerom that uses .bin files for banner and icon files). Here's the workflow I used, feel free to find its flaws:

1) User 'bannertool.exe makesmdh' to make a smdh icon file.

2) Use 'bannertool.exe makebanner' to make a bnr banner file.
--I noticed that it would inform you when pointing to a smdh file or a bnr file if the file wasn't the right size, but it listed no limits for the sound file. When I made a custom VC inject for Sonic 3 Complete, I remember the requirements for the sound jingle being strict, but there is no information listed here. It even fully accepted a full length song I was testing.

3) Get the 3dsx file (I am using OpenLara for 3DS)

4) Use cxitool.exe to convert the 3dsx to a cxi
--Here is an opportunity to choose the banner file, but not an icon file. I noticed that if I skip choosing the banner file here and instead try to choose it with makerom.exe, the file size for the final cia doesn't reflect the added size of the bnr file, meaning it looks like makerom.exe doesn't even add the bnr information into the cia file.

5) Use makerom.exe to convert the cxi to cia
--Here you can choose the bnr file and the smdh file, but like I said before, if I do it now, it doesn't seem to actually add it to the final cia's file size.

6) Install the cia on the 3DS with FBI
--Here I can see that, no matter when I inserted the bnr file, neither the bnr file or the smdh file actually apply to the cia. It still has the default black and white Lara Croft icon from the 3dsx file, no banner, and no sound jingle.
Same Exact issue im losing sleep over this and the only thing that makes sense is the ELF file, and also the RSF file.

I think if our 3dsx does not spit one out we somehow have to provide it. I found a Dummy RSF file but I have NO idea where it goes.

I think for this to work, we have to somehow get it into the CXI that is being converted into CIA because I am so confused. I spent a day or so looking at .bnr and .icn files. And the ones that I made def have data in them according to 3DSexplorer.

I was however able to inject my own icon into the file, but I almost think its because it previously had one.

but since the 3dsx file never had a banner. It feels like it wont just accept one, no matter how many tutorials I follow.

but the 3dsx had a smdh file/icon which then I was able to swap out with whatever I wanted.

For some reason I think this is for real the RSF missing or ELF because the RSF tells the 3DS what developer its from, and alot of information that seems necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol