• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The fox news article only references the nypost article. There is no real source at the bottom here. Even the axios article says that the numbers were not publicly released. There is no public source claiming 3/10.

Last I heard the U.S. government still has yet to push Covid vaccine mandates. They've pushed mask mandates, but unless I've missed something only companies, the private sector, are pushing mask mandates and weekly viral testing. So, maybe complain about that instead?

Originally, businesses were not allowed to open unless they followed social distancing and mask "guidelines".
Businesses complied because they didn't want to close down.
Recently, Biden made an executive order that OSHA must force businesses with 100+ employees to screen for vaccination.
If they aren't vaccinated, they must be masked and segregated from other employees.
The private sector does not push these guidelines because it costs them time and money to implement.

You're absolutely right. So far, though, I'm vaccinated and... I'm doing pretty good. I also got all my other vaccines too. Haven't mutated or been violently tracked either.

That's anecdotal evidence. I know people who have had adverse reactions the vaccine. Those experiences don't make either of us right/wrong.

God you're smart. You must be thinking the Covid vaccine is like the polio vaccine. You come across as someone who would refuse the polio vaccine and then get polio, and then blame science again. I hope I'm just reading what you've written wrong.

This is a strawman. You're pretending I'm anti-vaccination. I'm anti-vax mandate for untested vaccines.
In 10 years, when these various COVID vaccines have been studies and approved (not by emergency) then I won't mind getting it.
To pretend that COVID vaccine is as safe or well understood as a vaccine that has been around nearly 100 years is intellectually dishonest.

Uh huh. The Covid testing and mask mandates are the way to go for social division. Not civil rights, education, economy political affiliation, stuff like that. The government is using masks to divide us.

All of the above.

You got that from Wikipedia, didn't you? No, but really. Any, every virus that has run rampant over the history of mankind has had government intervention at some point. If they didn't, we'd probably still have Polio. Or the Bubonic plague.

Again, I'm not anti-vax. This is a strawman.

Yes, because big businesses have politicians in their pockets and vice versa. That's why some companies still have monopolies, which are technically outlawed. That's an unfortunate side effect, but not necessarily derived because of. Small businesses couldn't survive because of larger corporations providing convenience of things like delivery during the shutdown, something mom n pops style businesses couldn't compete with. Maybe instead of blaming the government, you should look at companies like Amazon that carve themselves such an edge that they freely dominate thousands of other start ups. Why didn't Amazon donate to keep these businesses open would be a better question to ask in the face of closing businesses during the pandemic.

Why would I blame Amazon for operating as usual?
Amazon is popular because they offer a good service.
They were already taking a lot of business away from brick and mortar stores.
You expect them to counter act government overreach and prop up their competitors?
Only the government can force businesses to close by fiat.
Amazons only guilty of providing a good service to people who had few options.

Thanks for that. Despite knowing what the actual quote referred to (it's actually part of my job to know stuff like), I was going in a different, more condescending direction. As far as showing my true intentions? I've never tried to hide my intentions. I think I'm pretty clear: hypocrisy is annoying, and some people just aren't fit to live in a progressive society. Anything else you think I'm hiding?

No, this is a lie. If you had understood the original phrase "tip your hand" you would not have replied "I tip my hat too".
You clearly misread what I wrote and didn't understand that your response didn't make sense.
This was a good opportunity to show good faith and be sincere. Unfortunate.

Actually you're putting way too much into the effort I may or may not have in wanting people to actively die. I really don't care who lives or dies outside of my loved ones; at the end of the day, it's ultimately your choice whether you want to contribute to a better society or to just die off at the back of the pack. But I'll make sure my kids and loved ones get vaccinated and stay safe; if you and yours die off before you've really experienced the majority of your life, so be it.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. I literally can't wait for your response.

"if you and yours die off...so be it."

Thank you for proving my point.

Last edited by elk1007,
Reactions: BitMasterPlus

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Your actions and words have stated otherwise that you care about people, You don't and only care if you're right and to force other people in your twisted ideologies. When people say they care when it's shown the exact opposite, it completely disgusts me.
Aha... well I guess I'll just live rent free then

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fox news article only references the nypost article. There is no real source at the bottom here. Even the axios article says that the numbers were not publicly released. There is no public source claiming 3/10.

Never said it was a public source, just that a couple articles referenced it.

Originally, businesses were not allowed to open unless they followed social distancing and mask "guidelines".
Businesses complied because they didn't want to close down.
Recently, Biden made an executive order that OSHA must force businesses with 100+ employees to screen for vaccination.
If they aren't vaccinated, they must be masked and segregated from other employees.
The private sector does not push these guidelines because it costs them time and money to implement.

None of which are mandates requiring people to get vaccinations. The guidelines in question was an appropriate response to trying to get businesses reopened based on the uncertainty around how many people were affected. If everyone had gotten tested and followed the procedures, I very much doubt we'd be in the state we are now. Additionally, if the private sector did not want to comply, why did they? More than likely so they can keep making money. How is that, in basic argument, any different from just wearing a mask or getting vaccinated so you can go back to a normal life?

This is a strawman. You're pretending I'm anti-vaccination. I'm anti-vax mandate for untested vaccines.
In 10 years, when these various COVID vaccines have been studies and approved (not by emergency) then I won't mind getting it.
To pretend that COVID vaccine is as safe or well understood as a vaccine that has been around nearly 100 years is intellectually dishonest.

I don't think there are too many arguments where people are saying it's 100% safe or even remotely understood, however a lot of people have seen that those who first got the vaccine are safe, and are falling in line, which gives it the appearance of such. If you've noticed, people closest to the source of the vaccine got vaccinated, and then it rippled outward from there. Enough people are getting to the point where enough people for their satisfaction are doing just fine, so why not? In reference to a previous statement from you, the same works for those who don't take the vaccine too well. With them, it's a matter of understanding and time served, neither of which might be in immediate view.

Again, I'm not anti-vax. This is a strawman.

I apologize. Based on how you argue and what you've written, I assumed the wrong thing. In that sense, I understand your position a little better, and have a little more empathy and understanding. Thank you for clarifying.

Why would I blame Amazon for operating as usual?
Amazon is popular because they offer a good service.
They were already taking a lot of business away from brick and mortar stores.
You expect them to counter act government overreach and prop up their competitors?
Only the government can force businesses to close by fiat.
Amazons only guilty of providing a good service to people who had few options.

I wouldn't blame Amazon for business as usual, but they're a lot more to blame for small businesses not being able to survive the shutdown than just the government. It's regrettable that many businesses didn't survive, but unfortunately that's what happens in a capitalistic society when rampant viruses have a field day on the population.

No, this is a lie. If you had understood the original phrase "tip your hand" you would not have replied "I tip my hat too".
You clearly misread what I wrote and didn't understand that your response didn't make sense.
This was a good opportunity to show good faith and be sincere. Unfortunate.

You're still not quite getting it. I'd rather agree to disagree on this one since it's already getting away from the topic.

"if you and yours die off...so be it."

Thank you for proving my point.

If your point is that I'm unsympathetic when it comes to people not making educated decisions, I never tried to disprove that. I'm glad I proved it? Just please don't assume I speak for anyone other than myself in your attempt at validation; I do not.

Last edited by SyphenFreht,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your actions and words have stated otherwise that you care about people,
Do you care to be specific? Because I'm unaware of how anyone could reasonably look at my words and come to the conclusion that I "don't care about people." I wouldn't be a proponent of the vaccine, masks, etc. if I didn't care about people.

Reactions: Dakitten

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany

Deleted member 568468

State of dormancy
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Wishing that people die because they don't believe in mandating brand new vaccines is immoral.
Wishing death on people is immoral.
Also, unvaccinated are not dying in any significant numbers. It's clear you wish that on them, however.
immoral, but it isn't really genocide. don't conflate the two dude, anti-vaxxers aren't fucking martyrs of some regime oppression

and, for the record, unvaccinated doesn't necessarily equal anti-vax. if you can't get a jab because of medical reasons // your parents being anti-vax dumbheads (applies to underage users), then that's okay.

but if you don't want the jab because you're on some conspiracy hype train, then congratulations on losing yer marbles completely. at least i hope you don't purposely infect others who have more sanity than you

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was on the fence and leaning towards NO for getting the jab, but have since changed my mind and my family who lives with me, my first Pfizer jab will be next week.

Politics and conspiracy theories aside, if it can somewhat reduce the illness and hospitalization and reduce spreading covid, surely that is a good reason to get the jab?

Deleted member 568468

State of dormancy
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I was on the fence and leaning towards NO for getting the jab, but have since changed my mind and my family who lives with me, my first Pfizer jab will be next week.

Politics and conspiracy theories aside, if it can somewhat reduce the illness and hospitalization and reduce spreading covid, surely that is a good reason to get the jab?
Some people don't take the jab because they consider vaccines some miracle cure for the disease, which is a nice but untrue fairy tale.
Maybe time for them to get out of this mentality of "it doesn't cure covid so what's the point"

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
im suprised so many say they dont want the vaccine, considering this forum is very liberal i expected more than 69% to say yes to the vaccine

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What? Did you also feel this way during Trump's administration when they were blatantly pushing nonsense?
Of course not, especially when Trump have proven he take facts from Twitter.
That's why I check the sources they provide. Same as this slide did. If they don't show sources. I don't trust it.

Do you think I trust everything my government say blindly? No. It's always good to be critical. But dismiss it totally is just dumb.
This graph I shown took sources for CDC and the Hospitals. As any government should do.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Lacius,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im suprised so many say they dont want the vaccine, considering this forum is very liberal i expected more than 69% to say yes to the vaccine

I received the vaccine as soon as it was available to me. As did my wife and daughter.

And I lean rather conservative (particularly on fiscal) and voted for Trump over the trainwreck people both times.

But if I had actually, knowingly had Covid19, and had recovered from it in fine health, I would probably be one of those people refusing to be vaccinated. Why should a person subject themselves to an experimental palliative if they already have natural immunity that is much better than any vax can give?

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: elk1007

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why should a person subject themselves to an experimental palliative if they already have natural immunity that is much better than any vax can give?
  • The amount of protection from "natural immunity" is unclear.
  • The amount of protection from the vaccine is more clear and more controlled.
  • Vaccination increases protection even if you’ve already had COVID-19 and have "natural immunity."
  • Vaccination appears to offer more protection than "natural immunity."
  • The vaccine is not "experimental," nor is it "palliative."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Of course not, especially when Trump have proven he take facts from Twitter.
That's why I check the sources they provide. Same as this slide did. If they don't show sources. I don't trust it.

Do you think I trust everything my government say blindly? No. It's always good to be critical. But dismiss it totally is just dumb.
This graph I shown took sources for CDC and the Hospitals. As any government should do.
I mean, you literally said the Whitehouse is one of the best sources in the US so perhaps you shouldn't have said that if you didn't mean it.

Reactions: elk1007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o