Hacking Could the vWii mode be hacked to recognize the Wii U controller as a classic controller?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been thinking about this a lot, and I really want to know, could this be possible? I recall long ago someone saying long ago that the Wii U game pad could never interact with the vWii mode, yet Nintendo made it able to display everything thats displayed on the tv as well. So that person's argument to me no longer holds water.

What you might argue is, if Nintendo could, don't you think they would? My answer is simply no, and here is why. All the vc games you bought on the Wii and transferred over to the vWii will not be able to be played with the gamepad's buttons, but if you pay a small (and certainly arguably reasonable) price, you'd upgrade to the Wii U VC version which has this kind of functionality. In other words Nintendo is making extra money for a feature you may not even have to pay for.

I dunno, what do you think?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it because apparently the gamepad uses wifi to communicate with the Wii u rather than Bluetooth, so unless you could change that input I doubt it will happen. Might have to wait to see hacking on the Wii U side rather than the v-Wii side before this could happen

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Basically, the thing is that the Wii U software doesn't even know that the WiFi adapter for the gamepad exists. What it sees is an extra screen connected to the GPU and a bunch of USB devices (controller, camera, etc)
BUT
When you go into vWii mode, those USB devices act like they've been unplugged so you can't get at them.

For this to work you would need 2 things.
1. Patch the IOS so that it filters out JUST the Bluetooth commands that want to go to a classic controller and redirects/translates them to the right USB requests (which would be a lot of work but technically possible)
AND
2. Convince those USB connections to act like they've been plugged back in.

#2 Is the real hard part. We only have anything showing up on the GamePad screen because Nintendo was nice enough to make the option to NOT turn it off while STILL in Wii U mode. Once in vWii mode the commands they used to turn off the Wii-U-mode-only stuff (like the gamepad) is blocked and doesn't respond anymore and no one has figured out another way to try to turn it back on (and it may not exist).
SO
We'd either have to have a Wii U mode exploit to do that ourselves BEFORE going into vWii mode OR wait for Nintendo to do it for us like they did with the screen (which isn't likely to happen because if they did that they would have to re-write all the IOS themselves AND risk breaking some Wii games and they're probably not willing to go through that effort or take that risk just for a few more features on a backwards comparability mode. Using the screen in vWii mode was a far easier fix than the controls would be.)

tl;dr
It would be cool but don't hold your breath.

chaotix000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a possibly retarded idea.

Solder cables from a wii classic controller's internal board to the board in the gamepad and have a wiimote near to connect it all to. Just to make the buttons on the gamepaf mirror the ones on a classic controller.

I just thought of this...the gamepad might still display the little message about not being able to use the gamepad as a controller.

IMAG0575.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: