Hacking Could Adrenaline run emulators faster than real PSP?

D

Deleted User

@yifan_lu Will you write some blog post about how the vita emulate the psp? I would love to know how it work :) Just to know, do you think it is possible to the vita apps to access the psp cpu to offload some work ?
Thanks you

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Making it portable isn't a problem... the problem is making it pocket sized. Trying to make a miniature ps2 is quite the undertaking, also heating issues. The thing would fry itself if it wasn't tablet sized.

Just look at any portable gamecube, they're always quite bulky and would need a bag to carry around.
It's more to do with costs, miniaturisation and power consumption.

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more to do with costs, miniaturisation and power consumption.
You're right, I forgot that. In order for this beast to run for more then 3 hours it'd need a 4000+ mAH battery. As for costs... I can't see people forking over 300$+ for a system that runs 15+ year old games.

Last edited by ishygdaft,

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Really interesting ! I thought it was software emulation too. I known that first PS3 model was having hardware emulation on it but not Vita.
How else do you think the "pspemu" handles every single mips instruction (including undocumented ones)? Why do you think all Kirk commands are accepted?
In fact the vita even has a psp IPL and pre-ipl (pre-ipl is not in ROM and instead is stored in the compat secure module, it gets mapped to the reset vector and the Allegrex R4000 jumps to it)

While you cannot overclock the CPU per se, other things can be done to improve the state of the psp "emulation" such as allocating more memory (although no psp software currently uses more than 64MB at this point) or having the PSP hardware use the vita hardware for specific tasks through Kermit (which is, for exemple, how the audio is processed for ps1 games, since on the original psp this was done on the Media Engine, which doesn't exist on Vita) (yes, the ps1 games on vita actually run through a pops variant on the psp hardware)

P.S. On a sidenote, the PS3 both has a PS2 hardware and software emulator (well, 2 software emulators in fact) depending on which model you use (only the very first ps3 model has the full EE+GS chips on board), it also uses software emulation for PSP software (Minis).

Last edited by mathieulh,
Reactions: Kleyon

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Nothing about the word "emulator" indicates software. Wiktionary defines it as "A piece of software or hardware that simulates another system." and indeed hardware emulators are commonly used in the VLSI industry.
True that.

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(the most current release of adrenaline fixed the slowdowns in Intelligent Cube for ps1 and other games.................Colony Wars 1 for example still has slowdown when a lot happens on screen at the same time..................Some games are poorly designed to begin with, and gave the ps1 engine trouble to handle, I don't think the vita's emulator has been designed better then the original software, it is only designed to emulate it, so badly programmed games will still have choke points and hiccups)

(all that is true, I understand some of what's been going around is just an assault on the developer's hard work in fixing real issues, that seem to be all fixed now with the ps1 emulator.................some plugins don't work but that is a different issue....................the psp vita has more memory to handle emulation so it should and it does run ps1 and psp games more smoothly given the increased amount of options and other stuff)

(the PSP VITA is the best console on the market, and the best one so far, the second best is a hacked ps2, and the third best is a hacked xbox....................at the same time, we are getting less and less from other hardware developers and everything costs more and more, and that statement includes old games, ten plus year old games with their copyright licenses expired, you are asked to pay top price for LMAO)

(Hacks/Piracy/Emulation, encourages ingenuity and improvement..................recycling a copyright for retail distribution with no legal basis in the copyright law..................that is their legal right to do so under their licenses, but we don't have to put up with it, you don't have to buy their product or shop at the stores that sell their product, all you need to do is ban together and eliminate the problem)

Reactions: ishygdaft

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This thread should be read by everyone, so pump it up.
Thx to yifan and cia for explaining this to the fullest.

Now I do believe that The_Flow will surprises us with Adrenaline with native resolution on september.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Please add in Adrenaline the feature to set savestate folder in ur0 instead of ux0; in ur0 the writing/reading speed is much faster than Vita memory Card, and doing a savestate of psp game require over the 10-15sec :O

@mathieulh : you are the same mathieluh which said Dreamcast emu possible on psvita? It is really possible?

Last edited by Lord M,

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
How else do you think the "pspemu" handles every single mips instruction (including undocumented ones)? Why do you think all Kirk commands are accepted?
In fact the vita even has a psp IPL and pre-ipl (pre-ipl is not in ROM and instead is stored in the compat secure module, it gets mapped to the reset vector and the Allegrex R4000 jumps to it)

While you cannot overclock the CPU per se, other things can be done to improve the state of the psp "emulation" such as allocating more memory (although no psp software currently uses more than 64MB at this point) or having the PSP hardware use the vita hardware for specific tasks through Kermit (which is, for exemple, how the audio is processed for ps1 games, since on the original psp this was done on the Media Engine, which doesn't exist on Vita) (yes, the ps1 games on vita actually run through a pops variant on the psp hardware)

P.S. On a sidenote, the PS3 both has a PS2 hardware and software emulator (well, 2 software emulators in fact) depending on which model you use (only the very first ps3 model has the full EE+GS chips on board), it also uses software emulation for PSP software (Minis).

I don't really think about this kind of things cause I don't have much technical knowledge. I was just supposing it was software emulation cause I never heard about hardware emulation on PSVita. Anyway you took time to answer me, including technical details so thanks for that !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ