Corruption In Games Journalism, or "Five Guys Burgers and Fries"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing. So-called "real journalism" has long since been sectioned into reliable sources of news (Reuters, for instance) and non-reliable sources of news, such as Chat! Magazine. Video game journalism is yet to be sectioned along these lines, so that we have a clear distinction between what's a The Times equivalent and what's a The Sun equivalent. Anywho, if someone lacks journalistic integrity, said person should be ostracized by the readers/viewers and the industry alike and removed from the "trust circle" - it's as simple as that. Stop visiting content created by those affected by the journalistic leprosy and they'll have to leave, like it or not, as they will become expendable.

That's all well and true - which is what makes news like this so important. It's a clear, appalling example of where games journalism stands, the kind that would motivate even casual observers to take action and/or demand changes.

The more people are aware of what's been going on, the more effective the reaction will be.

Isn't this a serious discussion topic?

I posted here for a few reasons. First, a lot of the subject matter isn't exactly "family friendly." A lot of what's available is dirt, and it's coming out an extremely fast pace, which means there is room for error; it's easier to track all of it in the EoF. As more comes to light, or if a huge new development breaks out, that might be posted elsewhere as well.

Also, more people seem to visit and participate in the EoF as compared to the GGD, so there's that.

You're right, clearly the focus here is that gamers hate women.

PLrhzX8.gif

Reactions: Sterling

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reddit just got very personal.

This shit is absurd on so many levels. Instead of moderating, the mods of r/gaming just set automatic moderation on whole threads, admins are banning whole subreddits, discussion relating to the matter is being deleted.. Holy shit.

The personal attention one person is getting (banging reporters or not, it's partially irrelevant in the aftermath) on Reddit and other sites versus free speech is sad. If discussion forums are being suppressed at this level and doxxing has been irrelevant on 4chan and Reddit before, why the sudden change? Hopefully this gets done with, the people responsible on all sides doing something questionable being dealt with accordingly and new guidelines for gaming news sites, hell even Reddit.

Ps would not give favourable journalism for banging. If someone expected something from sex, it should be mentioned in the article. All freebies should be mentioned in any case in order to inform the reader of bias

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reddit just got very personal.

This shit is absurd on so many levels. Instead of moderating, the mods of r/gaming just set automatic moderation on whole threads, admins are banning whole subreddits, discussion relating to the matter is being deleted.. Holy shit.

The personal attention one person is getting (banging reporters or not, it's partially irrelevant in the aftermath) on Reddit and other sites versus free speech is sad. If discussion forums are being suppressed at this level and doxxing has been irrelevant on 4chan and Reddit before, why the sudden change? Hopefully this gets done with, the people responsible on all sides doing something questionable being dealt with accordingly and new guidelines for gaming news sites, hell even Reddit.

Ps would not give favourable journalism for banging. If someone expected something from sex, it should be mentioned in the article. All freebies should be mentioned in any case in order to inform the reader of bias

How shit, this sounds like complete crazy. What the hell?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Considering he disables all his video's comments, Total Biscuit doesn't seem to have a great grasp on his internet fame in the first place.

That's not posted by or done by him in any way. That was done by a single r/gaming moderator. It was on automatic moderation with all posts being deleted without a second look

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not posted by or done by him in any way. That was done by a single r/gaming moderator. It was on automatic moderation with all posts being deleted without a second look

Oh I gathered that. I guess I should have been a bit more clear on what I was saying.

EDIT: I was more referring to this:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1/?

Reactions: Qtis

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
It's high time for Phil Fish to get hit by a bus and never be heard from again. The majority has long since outgrown his manchild antics and moronic sense of humor.

Reactions: vayanui8

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incompetent ain't the half of it.

Considering he disables all his video's comments, Total Biscuit doesn't seem to have a great grasp on his internet fame in the first place.

To be fair to him, that's only because of the new Youtube comment system, and he links to his own subreddit for discussion.

Anyway, it's kind of sad watching TotalBiscuit get shit heaped on him for urging caution. Even indie developers who he praised and promoted turned on him for daring to not white knight on Zoe Quinn's side, and they're vicious, too. For fuck's sake, when TotalBiscuit is the one telling you to calm down, you've gone off the deep end.

On the bright side, this whole debacle is serving as a great filter for which people/groups/sites to utterly disregard.

Also, food for thought.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Saw various things on this. It did not make it through my wall of indifference but if I can warm my hands/whine extract on some flames, be they flame posts of flames of a burned out site, I am good. I am mainly here to ponder that image just linked. Most of it reads like things you would want but I am not sure about some of them.

"No staff with journalism degrees"
Granted it is not like most of the staff are industry vets or anything (I am not sure most are even ex promoters or anything) so we can not come at it from the equivalent experience angle. However was it not most journalists being nothing but journalists (see also politicians being nothing but career politicos, maybe with a minor sideline in law and recruiters being career recruiters, even if there is some training in the thing they are supposed to be doing in the dim and distant past) that kind of got most news places dismissed for being out of touch? The cynical bastard within wonders if this is a bit of career protectionism at work, think modern equivalent of some of the more fun guilds.

"Always strive for balance and freedom from bias"
The latter is obvious, however balance is an odd one for me. Balance seems to be the giving equal weight to both all sides and given the amount of drivel that causes I am not in such a hurry.

"Always guard against opinion in a news story"
Maybe it is related to me liking to get my news from experts in a field but no thanks. If you want to make it a passive conveyance of information then fine, however if you want to speculate and opine then I see no great issue if it is within your remit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is actually somewhat against English language norms to not give any opinion on the subject discussed.

The general status quo is to:
  • Introduce the subject matter in the introduction
  • Present it in the body
  • Provide:
    • A summary
    • A deduction (based on the body)
    • A comment about how issue may impact the future (some might call it speculation)
    • Additional information for the readers, such as facts, statistics and citations
    • Personal opinion
in the conclusion, preferably a little bit from all of these buckets.

If you are indifferent towards something, you might as well not report about it - indifference creates dry pieces. This is not to say that ranting is encouraged - personal opinions should be limited and contained within the conclusion, but there's no reason why they should be completely excluded from the pieces. This is not an invitation for bias, this is merely an opportunity to comment on given situations.

Imagine the reports with no personal opinions or comments whatsoever: "Shots were fired in Gaza today, your reporter Sahara McSandmouth out!" - well gee whiz, Mrs.McSandmouth, care to tell us the significance of that event or what it means? 'Cause you know, that's a comment, apparently you're not supposed to do that, but it'd be nice.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"No staff with journalism degrees"
Granted it is not like most of the staff are industry vets or anything (I am not sure most are even ex promoters or anything) so we can not come at it from the equivalent experience angle. However was it not most journalists being nothing but journalists (see also politicians being nothing but career politicos, maybe with a minor sideline in law and recruiters being career recruiters, even if there is some training in the thing they are supposed to be doing in the dim and distant past) that kind of got most news places dismissed for being out of touch? The cynical bastard within wonders if this is a bit of career protectionism at work, think modern equivalent of some of the more fun guilds.

Since when was journalists being out of touch the issue?

Protectionism might be at play, I won't deny that, but there's definite merit in having journalists who have extensively studied the practices, history, and ethics of the field. Lawyers might be "out of touch" with the common man's understanding of the law, but when I'm in court, I'd much rather trust the expert than John Q. Public.

"Always guard against opinion in a news story"
Maybe it is related to me liking to get my news from experts in a field but no thanks. If you want to make it a passive conveyance of information then fine, however if you want to speculate and opine then I see no great issue if it is within your remit.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with opinion pieces on their own (and note, the rule doesn't forbid opinion pieces so long as they're not presented as news), but they should be distinguished from news reports; it's the blurring the line that people take umbrage with.

Imagine the reports with no personal opinions or comments whatsoever: "Shots were fired in Gaza today, your reporter Sahara McSandmouth out!" - well gee whiz, Mrs.McSandmouth, care to tell us the significance of that event or what it means? 'Cause you know, that's a comment, apparently you're not supposed to do that, but it'd be nice.

Except detailing context and relevant surrounding info isn't really opinion. I mean, you could split hairs about how "subjective" that is, but the point is to strive for objectivity within the realm of human possibility. There's a clear difference between "Shots were fired in Gaza today, signaling an end to the most recent cease fire. The region has been embroiled in conflict since etc. etc." and "Shots were fired in Gaza today, as the fascist Israeli forces continued to wage war against Palestine and basic decency etc. etc."

The issue isn't that these reporters aren't meeting inhuman standards, it's that they have no standards and aren't trying at all.

Reactions: zeello

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1