Converting 3D videos to .moflex

Hey,
here's a little tutorial on how to use the Mobiclip Multicore Encoder to convert 3D videos (from YouTube etc.) to .moflex (to inject them in .cia files and view them in 3D on your 3DS)

Requirements:
  • Mobiclip Multicore Encoder (either be an accepted Nintendo developer or find it somewhere else)
  • A Side-by-Side OR Top-and-Bottom 3D video, there is a lot of 3D content on YouTube (like for example trailers) which can be downloaded with jDownloader or any other video download software
First, here is an image of a graph I used to convert a video:

E8ViA9E.png

Now, here are the exact steps:

1. Get 3D video from YouTube (I used this german avatar 3D trailer) Optional: increase sound volume of the video with another application, it seems that when converting videos with specific audio codecs, the sound volume will be a lot quiter after encoding
2. Start Mobiclip Multicore Encoder
3. Input Filters -> Video Files, double click, browse for your downloaded file. When it shows up in the file list, do NOT tick 3D-Interleaved.
4. Preview your downloaded video in VLC. If the images are
  • left and right, add 3D Filters -> Split Side-by-Side, then double click on the filter, select "Left-eye image is on left half" (or the other way round, but normally that is the case), then "OK"
  • on the top and bottom, choose 3D Filters -> Split Top-and-Bottom, then double click on the filter, select "Left-eye image is on top half" (or again the other way round, depending on the video), then "OK"
This step basically splits the image in half and creates an interleaved video stream that we can already use to convert. However, if you click preview while selecting the filter you will see that the aspect ratio is not right anymore, this is why we need to use
5. Geometric Filters -> Crop and Resize to stretch the image to fit the 3DS screen (double click on filter, tick "resize" -> manual, 400x240). If you click preview now (while the Crop and Resize filter is selected), your parameters should look roughly the same, with the correct width and height, as well as 3D set to "Yes":

e5tUwE0.png

6. Audio filters -> Convert Audio, double click, I set everything to "No change" there. I don't know if this filter is really necessary but I always add it, just to be sure.
7. Last but not least, Encode Filters -> Mobiclip Encoder. Double click it to bring up the final settings and leave everything as it is, but only choose your output directory. If you already changed something, these are the default settings I always use to convert:

wABpYY5.png

8. At the end, make sure you connected all filters correctly (all should be green) and click "Queue Job", change to tab "Job Queue" and click "Start Queue". Follow the progress in the "Progress" tab.
After it is done converting, replace the moflex in another app, edit the movie name and rebuild it as .cia (or .3DS) to install with your preferred cia installer.
There are several tutorials on unpacking and repacking cias, and @TheGreek Boy has just recently released an easy method to inject .moflex files into cia here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-cia-video-injection.434051/

If anything is unclear just ask.

Greetings,
juli299

Kapeas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much. I have been searching for this info for a while. Have failed in many attemps to convert sbs .mvk file to cia with VCC. Will try ASAP :D

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't get it to start the queue. It just stays on "waiting". Any ideas?

Edit: okay it works now, I restarted the program and redid everything. Not sure why it didn't but last time but oh well

Last edited by sniper_x002,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ugh, I can't find the Mobiclip Multicore Encoder anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction or PM me? I would be ever so grateful!

Meeg85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there steps for creating a regular 2d video? Edit* Nevermind, The regular steps work just fine for a 2d movie.

Last edited by Meeg85,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the tutorial.
For me, an easier way to watch the videos is by installing the movie player included in the mobiclip package. You will need to activate the Dev Mode of Luma to install the .cia. But when it is installed, you can just de-activate it and still be able to boot it in regular Luma mode. Then just place the moflex files on the root of your SD card and voila, you get a list of all your 3D converted videos.
I noticed though that the samples videos might crash your CFW. But I haven't experienced any problems so far with my own converted videos.

So now I can just copy new videos to my SD,start the movie app and watch some 3D videos :)

kallek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tutorial.
For me, an easier way to watch the videos is by installing the movie player included in the mobiclip package. You will need to activate the Dev Mode of Luma to install the .cia. But when it is installed, you can just de-activate it and still be able to boot it in regular Luma mode. Then just place the moflex files on the root of your SD card and voila, you get a list of all your 3D converted videos.
I noticed though that the samples videos might crash your CFW. But I haven't experienced any problems so far with my own converted videos.

So now I can just copy new videos to my SD,start the movie app and watch some 3D videos :)

Cool!

I have always converted movies to mjpeg and used the build in player, but the movies are stuttering and the audio is not so good.

Last edited by kallek,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cool!

I have always converted movies to mjpeg and used the build in player, but the movies are stuttering and the audio is not so good.
This method still has low volume audio sometimes, but I think it's just much easier than installing every movie or video on it's own :)

NEKpewar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
What time I have to wait to convert to .moflex? I'm waiting 2 hours and still yet "In Progress" and the the duration of the video it's 1m and 30 seconds, the extension it's .avi and it's a 2D video

Last edited by NEKpewar,

Berserkr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a way to choose between 2 audio streams ?
when I convert movies it always uses ther first audio stream but sometimes I want the second one.
how can I change that ?

and some 3d movies are crashing. maybe they are not encoded properly. got it from a friend.
When I reencode them again it works.
just for you to know if somebody has crashes after clicking on queue job.

Luanon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bitcloud.org.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After it is done converting, replace the moflex in another app, edit the movie name and rebuild it as .cia (or .3DS) to install with your preferred cia installer.

i see no need to turn the videos to cia..... that way you overpopulate your menus.... its as easy as downloading 3d movie viewer cia and place all movies on the root............
It doesn’t matter if we talk about movies or classic games, converting to .cia is ALWAYS the worst option compared to emulators and video players...

DaMegaTaco

Trophies
Website
nookazon.com
XP
Country
United States
I am having issue with this program where everything works fine until it gets to 99% of the last step where it seems to just stop there and doesn't want to finish converting. I don't know if it is doing something without saying it is or not as I tried converting a movie (Antman and Wasp) twice now where the second time it is a larger file, but when I try to play it in the video player on the 3DS I am unable to fast forward. The first file I made seemed to cut out halfway through, but I don't know if it was because it wasn't a completed file, or if it was because I hit something on the DS and it ended up starting again. Does the converter and/or the player usually have issues with large files or am I just doing something wrong?... The part of the movie that did convert came out really well as far as the 3d where I just need to get a program to modify the audio so it isn't as quiet without creating a watermark.

Edit: Nevermind... Apperently it does process things for a bit without acknowledging that it is as one of the tasks finally finished after letting it convert over night. Hopefully it fixes the issue with being unable to fast forward.

Edit 2: Yay! The time bar does work and I can fast-forward with a completed file. Now I just need to fix the audio. I recommend that anyone who wants to watch a 3D movie on the 3DS should try this. They come out really good and have better 3D then the theaters!

Last edited by DaMegaTaco,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Focolee

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
my English isn't that good but hey, at least we share the same love for homebrewing but...
Hello people!
Hoping you're having a good day. I'm having this situation that I let the software run and do their process to convert a movie, I normally leave the laptop all night, all fresh and cool to avoid any random shutdown due to heat but, even that, the Encoder get stuck on 99%. Kinda weird bc the encoder allows me to check the queues, the current task and even change the settings for the current conversion. Any idea on what could it be? any assistance will be highly appreciated.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
my English isn't that good but hey, at least we share the same love for homebrewing but...
Hello people!
Hoping you're having a good day. I'm having this situation that I let the software run and do their process to convert a movie, I normally leave the laptop all night, all fresh and cool to avoid any random shutdown due to heat but, even that, the Encoder get stuck on 99%. Kinda weird bc the encoder allows me to check the queues, the current task and even change the settings for the current conversion. Any idea on what could it be? any assistance will be highly appreciated.
Unfortunately, Mobiclip isn't always perfect, sometimes the file hangs (this happened to me with Avatar.) Even during being stuck at 99, it produced an unfinished file which still worked on my 3ds, but the unfinished file did not allow scrolling the time forward/back, so no rewinding etc. A few movies I couldn't get working at all.

In addition to the tutorial, here's more info: You don't have to turn the .mobi into a .cia, there is an official "movie player" 3ds app that you can find. You can just directly load the videos from the root of the SD.

You will find the audio in your .mobi video to be very quiet. You can fix this by 1st amplifying the audio before turning the mkv into mobi. load the mkv into audacity, highlight the audio, raise the gain, and then "remux" the audio into the mkv using MKVtoolNix, THEN convert the mkv.

Finally, I suggested the software "audacity" but they were bought out by a bad company to harvest data. Use the older version if you want to use Audacity, 3.0.2 or below, not 3.0.3.
HTML:
https://www.reddit.com/r/audacity/comments/ohfwah/psa_audacity_which_versions_to_use_without/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn McDonald's ice cream machine broken