Homebrew Convert GC Twilight Princess Save to Wii?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right so I've been wanting to play LoZ:TP for quite some time now, and despite owning it since it came out, I've never actually had the willpower to beat it due to the shitty inconvenient (and terribly inaccurate) controls.

Well I also know that it was released on GameCube too (and Hyrule isn't flipped around), so I'd prefer playing the GameCube version; however, my question is: Is there any way I can convert my GameCube Twilight Princess save to work with my original Twilight Princess for Wii Disc? I've got HBC installed as well as Multi Mod Manager, etc.

So is this possible or are the differences between the games too significant?

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe, you could try your hand at comparing the two with a hex editor and replacing accordingly
yupp, get yourself some savegames (gamefaqs?) from same situations (like... at final boss with all items) and compare them

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
It'd be better to compare two new savegame files, made under the same circumstances.

Actually, it's better to make 2 or 3 fresh savegames of each game (deleting the file from the wii menu) in order to locate and discard things like hour of creation of the savegame, etc. If the games are equal at gameplay level (there are no extra things on wii or gamecube) it may be possible.

It's interesting and I'd like to take a look at it, but I only have TP for wii. If you can upload freshly created savegames (gci for gamecube and extracted with savegame manager for wii) I'll take a look in the hex editor and see if there's luck

Reactions: 1 person

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
I've got my hands onto the GC game and I tried it.

It's really simple, the savegame is exactly the same for gamecube and wii.

The wii savegame is at nand:\title\00010000\525a4450\data\zeldaTp.dat and it is 0x4000 bytes (16384 bytes in decimal)

(you can use dolphin to extract it from a .bin savegame extracted with the wii's system menu)

The gamecube savegame is a bit trickier. It is 4 blocks long (16384*2 bytes). I found the savegame at the last 2 blocks (the last 16384 bytes), but many gamecube savegames had at leas a backup of the savegame, so the last savegame can be in either the first 16384 or the last 16384 bytes.

So, if you have a gamecube savegame file in gci format you'll have:

64 byte gci header
16384 byte ???? --> I don't know what is this, I guess it has the icon and banner, but I don't know why it uses 2 blocks for that... It isn't the savegame anyways.
16384 byte savegame

To transfer from wii to gamecube just put ZeldaTP.dat two times.

To transfer from gamecube to wii copy the last 16384 bytes of the gci file to a new file and rename it to ZeldaTP.dat.

I tested it both ways in dolphin (I downloaded from gamefaqs a gc savegame and loaded it with wii's TP; and I downloaded a wii's savegame and loaded it with GC's TP).

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: added mirror in gcmm site - http://code.google.com/p/gcmm/downloads/detail?name=ZeldaTPConverter.rar

I made a simple windows app that automates the process of inserting the wii save into a gci file (needs command line) or extracting the save from a gci (just drag and drop the gci to the exe)

It seems that twilight princess is "region free", I loaded a ntsc-u save on my pal game withouth problems (in both wii and gamecube)

http://www.mediafire...vz2j565xtv67kat

---------------------------
Zelda Twilight Princess
Save converter 0.1 by suloku 2012
---------------------------

This program will either extract a Zelda Twilight Princess GameCube savegame from a GCI file or insert a Wii savegame (zeldaTp.dat) to an existing Zelda TP gci gamecube savegame

Usage:
Extract GC savegame for wii: zeldaTPconverter.exe zeldagamecube.gci
Insert Wii savegame to gamecube GCI: zeldaTPconverter.exe zeldaTp.dat zeldagamec
ube.gci

Note: always have a backup of your savegames, never use the original files!

Note 2: the program doesn't mind the region of the savegame, it has been tested and works with PAL and NTSC-U savegames, so you can put your gamecube NTSC savegame into your PAL Wii Zelda Twilight Princess.

-------------------
Extract GC savegame
-------------------

When zeldaTp.dat is extracted from a gci file put it in dolphin or substitue it in an existing Savegame Manager extracted savegame to install on wii (or directly copy it to emulated nand if you know the savegame path)

These are the paths:

PAL save path: nand:/title/00010000/525a4450/data/zeldaTp.dat
NTSC-U save path: nand:/title/00010000/525a4445/data/zeldaTp.dat
NTSC-J save path: nand:/title/00010000/525a444A/data/zeldaTp.dat
NTSC-K save path: nand:/title/00010000/525a444B/data/zeldaTp.dat

-------------------
Insert Wii savegame
-------------------

When inserted a new gci file is created, then put it in dolphin with the memory card manager or insert to memory card with GCMM 1.2d, CTR-GCS 0.3b or original CTR-GCS over BBA

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
@suloku , wow, this is awesome stuff! Thanks man!
You might wanna start a thread for that. I think this'd be pretty handy for a good amount of users on here.

Feel free to post it wherever you like, I don't really know in which section it should be so more users see it.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
I made a simple Batch UI for the ZeldaTPConverter it is called MidnaUI and im sure it will help a few Users.

You can find it on Filetrip. ^^

http://filetrip.net/...-11-f30953.html

Nice, it really makes it easier for the user!

I checked it out and I think you are using a hard coded gci file (at least the first 2 blocks) to generate the gci, but you are still missing the GCI header.

It would probably be wiser to hardcode the GCI header+first 2 blocks of a savegame of each region (JAP, USA, PAL) and prompt the user for the region after zeldatp.dat is dragged to the window. You can get the GCI files from gamefaqs, there's a save for every region.

note: probably you would only need 1 gci header + 2 first blocks of a save of any region, then change the "region letter" of the gamecode, but I guess it is safer to use a save of each region for that and hey, having the 3 saves there only takes 48kb, which for a pc app is meaningless.

aluckymuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I decided to create an account here just so I can hopefully get an answer. I've been trying to get this converter to work for the past half hour.
I extracted my wii save from my physical wii, converted it with Dolphin to a dat file, downloaded a gci zelda file and have been trying to get the conversion of wii save -> gamecube save to work.
I tried out the original converter, but I couldn't understand the instructions I guess since the files never changed. Tried to follow the MidnaUI instructions, dragged and dropped the dat file in when it asked but then it just said the conversion was complete....it didn't even ask where the gci file was that it was supposed to use....and again the files remained unchanged. Am I missing a piece to the puzzle here? I even tried both programs in administrator mode.

Coflash

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

I have a Wii save game of TP and I'm trying to convert it to a usable GC save... I've had no luck so far and I've spent hours on it.

I tried the Batch UI version and my friend tried the original converter. With my attempt I got "Imported file has invalid length". With my friend's conversion I get the follwoing:

corrupted.png

With each attempt I try the save games on Dolphin 4.0, 3.5 and 3.0. I have also tried both NTSC and PAL versions. Still... nothing works.

I don't know what else to do at this point so I'll ask here. Below is the save game, it is from the European Wii version of Twilight Princess,

http://www.coflash.com/stuff/525a4450.zip

Thanks for any help... I *really* want to get this sorted so that I don't have to start the game over for a 4th time. Thanks.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, this should work for both of you, this is a command prompt application, and for wii-->gamecube conversion it should be run as in the following image:

wii-gc.png

BTW, midnaUI had some errors, I reported to the creator but he never responded, so I recommend using the command prompt version.

ps: coflash, i've sent you an email.

cybrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I make a request that someone write a Wii homebrew app that will transfer the save back and forth between NAND and GC memory card, please? It'd be awesome for when you play both copies on the same Wii.

Alex Youngquist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So um I recently bought a gc copy of tp and wanted to transfer my save files but have no clue what im doing would someone mind explaining in great detail?

35c

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this should work for both of you, this is a command prompt application, and for wii-->gamecube conversion it should be run as in the following image:

BTW, midnaUI had some errors, I reported to the creator but he never responded, so I recommend using the command prompt version.

ps: coflash, i've sent you an email.

I'm sorry to Necro but I saw this and needed to post. How does this command prompt work? The instructions included with it are so vague and confusing I have no idea how it functions. I tried "clicking and dragging" both a .gci file and a zeldaTP.dat file into it, and nothing happens. It just lists the paths to it.

And what does "needs command line" mean? That is even more vague, there are a massive number of commands that could be entered into the command prompt, but the ZeldaTPConverter only gives the option to Exit, and when trying to use the command line "start ZeldaTPConverter.exe" in the actual command prompt it cannot be found.

Thanks for the tool, it worked well and saved me quite some time. :)

If the tool worked well, could you please possibly enlighten others who are having issues?

m8re

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there, I'm wondering if you cold help me out. I've spent the past hour trying to convert a save file from Wii to Gamecube to use in dolphin emu. I've gotten as far as to create the DAT file however I can't figure out how I get the DAT file into something that you are able to import into the gamecube save manager in dolphin. I've also tried the tool by Yoshi9288 (which is meant to convert the .dat into .gci) however I just get an error stating that it can't read the .dat file.

This is the file I'm trying to convert (Sorry I can't upload the .dat file myself but GBAtemp dosen't allow me to upload files ending with .dat extension)
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/save/legend_of_zelda_eu.bin

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by m8re,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1