legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have decided to start a thread devoted to modding consoles (softmods and modchips), though it will be more about the options available to you than a how-to guide (unless people want that).
There are a huge amount of threads about modding consoles, I'm just attempting to consolidate them all into one large thread.
Please ask questions, if I can't answer them I'm sure someone else will and I will update the first post (this one) with the answer.
Also if you have any suggestions or corrections.
I will get this thread started with two consoles. I will add to and amend this thread on a daily basis.

Microsoft Xbox:

Modchip - Modchips are available for all version Xbox consoles. v1.6 and v1.6b require the LPC on the underside of the console re-wiring before the modchip is installed. Use of a modchip online usually bans your consoles for Xbox Live.

Softmod - There are exploits in three games (Splinter Cell, Mechassault and 007: Agent Under Fire) that allow you it install a new dashboard to the internal HDD. All consoles can run the softmods.

Microsoft Xbox 360:

Drive Flash - Flashing the firmware on the Xbox 360 DVD drive is a fast way to play backups. There are a few limitations with drive flashing including having to keep the firmware up to date if you play online (and restoring it if you need to send you Xbox back to MS), it doesn't allow different region coded games, it doesn't allow unsigned code (such as new dashboards) to be run and not all drives are supported directly (new drives take time to hack). The Hitachi 79 drive requires a passkey device that needs to be soldered onto the drive before flashing.

Modchip - A few modchips exist but are largely redundant due to drive flashing.

-----------------------------------

Nintendo GameCube:

The GameCube uses an 8cm DVD varient for its games and as such full sized DVDs won't fit into a normal GameCube lid, there are lids available that allow full sized 12cm DVDs to fit but the GameCube laser isn't able to read past the 1.5GB (1.37GiB) limit. Also most GameCube's need the POT tweaked before backup discs will run successfully, this involves turning a potentiometer on the underside of the drive unit, there is no magic number to turn it to that works for all units.

Modchip - Modchips for the GameCube come it two types, ones that connect direct to the motherboard and those that connect to the drive unit. The drive unit mod chips are usually cheaper, easier to install but limited to running backups and aren't updatable unlike the more expensive modchips that are installed to the motherboard.

SDLoad - Using an Action Replay and an SD memory card adaptor you can boot a program called SDLoad from an SD memory card. From SDLoad game loaders and emulators could be run, allowing backups to be run.

BBA/Phantasy Star Online - Using a broadband adaptor and a copy of Phantasy Star Online you can stream games over a network to the GameCube. This method was the first be used to play backups but due to the slow speed at which the broadband adaptor worked the results varied from title to title.

Switch - The Gamecube can be modified with a switch to change from NTSC-U to NTSC-J and vise versa. This is only available on NTSC-U and NTSC-J consoles, PAL can't be modded this way. You will need a separate memory card for Japanese and US save games.

Nintendo Wii:

Modchip - A modchip is the only way currently. There are different modchips available for the Wii. The most important factor in choosing a modchip is the drive type your Wii has, although with the current generation of modchips this isn't much of an issue.

Sega Saturn:

Sega Dreamcast:

Out the box the Dreamcast can play backups, you will need either a boot disc (downloaded and burnt yourself) or a self booting game to play backups.
I have heard that the MIL-CD hole was closed for the last batch of US console and there is a way to get around it but I don't have confirmed details on that yet.

Sony PlayStation:

Modchip - Modchips are available for all version PS1 consoles including the PSone.

Swap Disc - Swap Discs are available for all version PS1 consoles including the PSone.

Sony PlayStation 2:

All version consoles are capable of playing backups the methods include:

Modchip - All versions support a modchip. There are many modchips with difference features.

From HDD - All versions can use a HDD, some models don't support internal drives and compatibility on the USB HDD loaders isn't as high.
Japanese models SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000, and SCPH-18000 (v0) can't have an internal HDDs due to the lack of internal bay.
Slimline (aka PStwo) PS2's don't have an internal bay but the SCPH-7000x and SCPH-70001 (v12-v13) can have an adaptor installed to take an internal HDD, there is also a special case to allow this.

Swap Disc - All versions support swap discs and they require another tool for opening the tray or lid without resetting the TOC. They don't work with DL (DVD-9) backups.

Independence Exploit - Doesn't work on Slimline consoles. Similar to the swap disc, you use a PS1 game to boot a special file on the memory card, from there you can boot backups.

Memor 32 - The newly released Memor 32 can be flashed with a 3rd party BIOS called Memento which gives it similar functionality to a modchip and boots backups directly. Currently Memento is only available for in PAL.

Sony PlayStation 3:

Games have been dumped but there isn't currently a method to play backups. You can play PS1/PS2 backups, but it requires soldering a switch into the PS3 and having a disc to load a TOC from (the disc itself doesn't need to be booted, just inserted whilst on the XMB). This method has been confirmed to work up to firmware 2.0.1.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a suggestion, the wiki might be a good place to "consolidate" stuff if this is going to turn out to be a large amount on info.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We can see how it goes here and maybe move to a version on the wiki if it gets too large or perhaps run it concurrently.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Crystal chip is by far the best you can put in a PS2 for hard wire modding. It is loaded with features and has terriffic product support from the manufacturer in form of firmware and software updates. There's a new memory card that came out that requires no soldering at all to boot backups of PS2, that is the easiest route to take these days. Hopefully someone will sell those for cheaps soon.

Gamecube is easy as pie to mod, only what 4 or 5 wires? win. mod chips ship right out of Kowloon with the firmware for running backups already applied too lol.

Also xbox360, all drives are moddable most just softmod with no soldering. Hitachi 079 is the only one that requires a mod chip right now.

Wii hmm lots of wires now, grab yourself a pre-january unit if you want to be sure to use the older yet simple and reliable mod chips.

XBOX soft mods and hard mods available, the hardware mod isn't that difficult to put in as long as you have patience and the right tools.

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm about to mod my gamecube, so its nice to see this section pop up. xenogc 2.0 is only $8-$14

we need more info on here about the different systems. for instance on GC, what media can be used to burn backups.

these are great systems, and modding brings them new life. my boddy has a modded PS2 and lightguns setup in his game-room with a bunch of rail-shooters. the TV is mounted on the wall its amazingly fun.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Suggesting a media for the GameCube is difficult, for me DVD-R Ritek G04, G05 and Taiyo Yuden work fine. Other people find that DVD+R's work.

Where as I can throw anything at my PS2 and Xbox (sans DVD+R/-RW/+RW and CD-R) and it will work.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I completely forgot about that method.

How far back do people want me to go? So far I only have the major 4's CD-onwards based systems, but I can go as far back as is needed.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does anyone want me to pick this up again and continue?
If so I will take suggestions of systems and basic overviews to the methods that can be used.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like you to pick this up. Maybe get it stickied? Also, maybe you should include NDS and PSP. I'm currently thinking about getting a PSP, so I'd like to have as many resources as possible. Maybe you should have some links to the tutorials? I think you did a good job, as it is. It's very informative. A good overview of what options we have.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is stickied, I didn't want to put information about how to mod the consoles, just the options that are open to you. After all there are a boat load of different mod chips for consoles out there.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is also very easy to use the hotswap method to install the softmod to Xbox consoles, no extra hardware or games needed.

(Take your xbox and PC apart, unplug yellow cable from DVD drive, take HDDout (but still plugged in) and turn the console on. As soon as the light goes red, unplug the HDD IDE cable and put it into your PC. (Turning the xbox on unlocks the drive). Then use an XboxHDM disk to backup C: and eeprom, and use it to add the files that the save method would have. It is also very useful for fixing xboxes if you don't have the hdd key.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
You probably already know this but for the Saturn you either need a modchip or the disk swap, the Dreamcast plays CDRs/backups with no modding.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if modingmaniacs.com is a good place to buy from? I want to get a Xeno GC but they're the only place in stock...

hybridkit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
legendofphil said:
Does anyone want me to pick this up again and continue?
If so I will take suggestions of systems and basic overviews to the methods that can be used.

Please do.
grog.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You asked and I listened and decided to update.

How far do you want me to take this? Should I add information about the various switch mods out there, eg 50/60Hz or NTSC-U/J?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD