Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever had a problem with this, and I don't foresee one for me. I can see how it can be a problem for people who want to play titles that are released in one region and not in another, but there haven't been many titles that I've wanted to play that aren't available in my region. If I want to play Japanese titles, I'll wait until there's enough titles warranting the need to purchase another 3DS, but again, I don't foresee many titles that all regions won't get. Maybe a crossover title similar to Namco X Capcom, but that's probably it.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powered_by_tux said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
I don't understand, what are you saying? That nintendo shouldn't try to stop piracy? Why would they do that? Even if it will eventually get hacked, they can at least try and get as many sales as they can in the beginning. And who knows, maybe their security will be so strong that it will last the whole life span of the 3DS. Of course their going to try and to stop piracy, otherwise everyone would do it.

Then, you did not understand what I was saying.

Nintendo has all rights to stop piracy and if it helps them to get more sales, then I am not against it. However, no matter what protection measurements they use, it will eventually be cracked. Don't you think that thousands of crackers will jump on a hardware so much anticipated as the 3DS? It's very unlikely it will last long. Plus, the more obtrusive Nintendos protection it is, the more likely it will frustrate legit users. Pirates will not worry about that, they put the ROMs on their cards and then it just works.

My point is that by using copy protection, you are rewarding pirates - whether you want it or not.

Do you know how messed up your logic is? "It's going to get cracked eventually, nintendo should just give up and let piracy take rule" If they can make a good profit in the begining, then there set. If they however, just let piarcy take over from the start there not going to make any kind of decent profit and developers will eventually go away. And I've never heard of a legit user getting frustrated over piracy anti-measures. (apart from the other os removal)

Also, your last sentence is clearly wrong or why is piracy on the DS so rampant, yet millions of game copies get sold?
Millions of copies sold my arse. Only the really big titles like pokemon or zelda get a million copies sold.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ninten said:
Thank God I'm not planning to buy a 3DS. But this is just ridiculous.
Replace '3DS' with PSP, PSP2, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii and see if you still agree with it.

Region locking is an industry standard. You really expected a 2011 handheld to be region free?

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Midna said:
Ninten said:
Replace '3DS' with PSP, PSP2, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii and see if you still agree with it.

Region locking is an industry standard. You really expected a 2011 handheld to be region free?
PSP, PS3 and 360 are NOT region locked though, and PSP2 probably wont be too. the 3DS is actuallt the first handheld to be completely region locked (with DSI region locking some games), so this is a huge step backwards.

powered_by_tux

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BobTheJoeBob said:
Do you know how messed up your logic is? "It's going to get cracked eventually, nintendo should just give up and let piracy take rule" If they can make a good profit in the begining, then there set. If they however, just let piarcy take over from the start there not going to make any kind of decent profit and developers will eventually go away. And I've never heard of a legit user getting frustrated over piracy anti-measures. (apart from the other os removal)

I have never said that Nintendo should succumb to piracy and do nothing against it, so please stop twisting my words. I DO have said that no matter what they try to do against it, it will eventually get circumvented as has been the case with practically anything since the very early ages of home computing. Your reasoning that profits and the number development studios are declining do not have solid ground, of course, assuming you do not only accept as fact what RIAA, MPAA et al constantly preach. You see, other business are plagued with piracy, probably even worse than the gaming industry, and guess what? They still exist and their profits continue to rise.

QUOTE said:
And I've never heard of a legit user getting frustrated over piracy anti-measures. (apart from the other os removal)

Then you have clearly not heard of Spore, Assassins Creed 2, The Settlers 7, and many many more. That is not just one but thousands of frustated users just because of DRM. I have never heard of a pirate getting frustrated over that anti-piracy measurement, did you?

Only the really big titles like pokemon or zelda get a million copies sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-..._DS_video_games

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powered_by_tux said:
I have never said that Nintendo should succumb to piracy and do nothing against it, so please stop twisting my words. I DO have said that no matter what they try to do against it, it will eventually get circumvented as has been the case with practically anything since the very early ages of home computing. Your reasoning that profits and the number development studios are declining do not have solid ground, of course, assuming you do not only accept as fact what RIAA, MPAA et al constantly preach. You see, other business are plagued with piracy, probably even worse than the gaming industry, and guess what? They still exist and their profits continue to rise.
So wait, you think nintendo should stop anti-piracy measures on their console but still try and fight piracy. OK then. That's like tying someone's legs and telling them to run.

QUOTE said:
Then you have clearly not heard of Spore, Assassins Creed 2, The Settlers 7, and many many more. That is not just one but thousands of frustated users just because of DRM. I have never heard of a pirate getting frustrated over that anti-piracy measurement, did you?
Fair enough, but what about non-PC anti piracy measures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-..._DS_video_games
My mistake, although in my defence most of those are big titles anyhow. And there's only 114 there, out of the many nintendo DS games that have been released, that's only a small fraction.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
_Chaz_ said:
The 3DS is now confirmed a region locked system.

So what?

Europeans are screwed, as are the members who like importing Japanese only games (Such as myself).

Not me, I listened to my instincts and reserved a JP 3DS. If you haven't reserved one yet, I suggest you do the same.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
_Chaz_ said:

So what?

Europeans are screwed, as are the members who like importing Japanese only games (Such as myself).

Not me, I listened to my instincts and reserved a JP 3DS. If you haven't reserved one yet, I suggest you do the same.

I would, but my Japanese isn't good enough for me to go Japanese only. I prefer games in English, and I can only afford one console, so my choice is obvious. I just hope it'll be hacked within a year to allow region free. I'm gonna miss out on the new One Piece game and any future Taiko no Tatsujin game that comes out plus all of the awesome fighting games that are sure to be released. It sucks
frown.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Graaaah.
mad.gif

I hate when handhelds are region-locked. Now, I won't be able to play certain Japanese-only games (Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton). I hope the 3DS is hacked to play games from every region.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
FireGrey said:
WTF GUYS, were you really expecting the 3ds to be region free when the wii and dsi is region-locked...

Region locks were bad there, too. Nintendo of Europe had to deal with massive amounts of people importing Super Smash Bros and hacking their systems by having an official warning on their website about it. DSi is only somewhat acceptable because it involves downloadable titles.

If the 3DS had region locking only on downloadable games, I can get that. Licences directly have a factor there. But being unable to buy a physical object and having it work on my system? That's bullshit.

It was bullshit in 1991, and it's still bullshit in 2011. Even moreso now.

to say the least we may see the 3DS get hacked sooner(I believe its inevitable to begin with).

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Hop2089 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
_Chaz_ said:

So what?

I would, but my Japanese isn't good enough for me to go Japanese only. I prefer games in English, and I can only afford one console, so my choice is obvious. I just hope it'll be hacked within a year to allow region free. I'm gonna miss out on the new One Piece game and any future Taiko no Tatsujin game that comes out plus all of the awesome fighting games that are sure to be released. It sucks
frown.gif

I know right? Watch... JUMP "whatever" stars (3) will be on the 3DS, and we will all get Buttfucked and never get to play it...

powered_by_tux

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BobTheJoeBob said:
So wait, you think nintendo should stop anti-piracy measures on their console but still try and fight piracy. OK then. That's like tying someone's legs and telling them to run.

We are getting there.
smile.gif

There are ways to fight piracy that are not obtrusive and don't affect legit customers. I am talking about rewarding legit customers with bonus content, an example of the near past would be Pokemon HG/SS, which had the Pokewalker. Given the reactions on this and other boards I would assume that a lot of flash cart owners got the real game because of the Pokewalker. A simple, yet very effective measurement that keeps people buying the legit game (10m copies in 13 months seems good).

QUOTE said:
Fair enough, but what about non-PC anti piracy measures.

That's a good point, I cannot say anything about that.

My mistake, although in my defence most of those are big titles anyhow. And there's only 114 there, out of the many nintendo DS games that have been released, that's only a small fraction.

No wonder, given the abundance of crap games released for the DS.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, there should be way more big titles for the 3DS.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
Hop2089 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
_Chaz_ said:

So what?

frown.gif

I know right? Watch... JUMP "whatever" stars (3) will be on the 3DS, and we will all get Buttfucked and never get to play it...

That's exactly the game I was thinking of. Imagine how awesome it would be on 3DS
cry.gif

Kamika

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
DiscostewSM said:
Wasn't Nintendo beginning to make a push to localize games to multiple regions that have been specific to just one?
I seriously hope you're right about this. That would make the region locking at least a little bearable. Europe has been cheated out of many potential awesome games just because they care more about the casual gamer. I don't need more Cooking Mamas or Lauras Passion. I wanna see some srs games out here!

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powered_by_tux said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

We are getting there.
smile.gif

There are ways to fight piracy that are not obtrusive and don't affect legit customers. I am talking about rewarding legit customers with bonus content, an example of the near past would be Pokemon HG/SS, which had the Pokewalker. Given the reactions on this and other boards I would assume that a lot of flash cart owners got the real game because of the Pokewalker. A simple, yet very effective measurement that keeps people buying the legit game (10m copies in 13 months seems good).
Now I see what your getting at. I'm still not sure it would work though. I doubt every game could have an addition like the Pokewalker, and thinking up new bonuses to give would take time.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ninten said:

I second that...I would rather get a droid X or a Bionic
biggrin.gif
..my enV Touch glitchy piece of shit has seen it's better months. (not even years)

the $250 console price and the $70 games is a huge turn off for me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Costco cards are global like if you go to another country and can still use it there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Who needs a passport I got my costco port
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ask yo boyfriend Juan.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's. A Mexico port and I don't want to shop in Mexico
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You don't like donkey hot dogs?
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    What is Costco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wholesale grocery store. Everything is in like 64 packs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ramen bowels are better than ramen cups
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Are those like big sized ramen? Do they look like a
    bowel?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has better girth
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dirt cheap, but its only 5400 rpm. But still be good for music/photo/ etc backup
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My dumb ass was searching for a replacement for my remote using the TVs model number instead of the Model number on the remote still fuck TVs that don't work with universal remotes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    To be fair this seller listsed it working with that TV model
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 I typically just recommend those cheap Nippon America universal remotes, unless the TV isn't a well known brand
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Or try get the OEM remotes from the TV supplier
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I was already wondering where you have been
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and its almost time for me to sleep
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I fell asleep lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm currently servicing my Toshiba Armada 1750 by swapping it out with an 11GB HDD and installing W98SE.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, so you are a vampire?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wake up.... Its time for bed.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: LOL