Hacking Configurable USB Loader

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried 3 different Windows (x64) WBFS managers and still cannot get my drive visible. I'm looking to duplicate the drive so I can move it to a SSD. Please Help. WBFS Manager ; Wii Backup Manager ; another that failed. School me please:teach:
Wii backup manager is the best way to go.

Visible where? on your PC? or on the software?

Reactions: cvskid

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a very annoying problem here. :/

When my Wii U HDD (with only Wii U stuff, no GC/Wii games) is plugged in the top USB port on the back, CFG Loader freezes at the boot screen with the logo and I have to pull the power plug of the console.
It launches fine when the HDD is in the bottom USB port.. but the thing is, I'm using a LAN Adapter to connect to the internet and when it's plugged into the top port, CFG Loader doesn't recognize it and can't establish any connection (to download covers etc.) and also no connection ingame (Brawl + Wiimmfi patch). vWii and other homebrew do have a connection when using it in the top port, it's just the CFG loader.

So basically:
LAN adapter bottom / HDD top = freeze
LAN adapter top / HDD bottom = no connection

I'm using the latest build I could find, from here: http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/trac/CfgUSBLoader/
But I also tried the newest version from here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads (GC games won't load with this build, btw)
Same problem all the time. :(

Is there any chance this could be fixed?
CFG USB is the only loader that, aside from this problem, works flawlessly on my setup. I wanted to try others but I'm using a SD card for my GC/Wii games and USB Loader GX doesn't even support loading from SD. Wiiflow has some other issues and loads very slow...

I would really appreciate it if anyone has a solution.

CGarces

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.

What are the requirements to compile CfgUSBLoader from source code?
I need an specific version of DEVKITPPC?

Probably my environment not is ready to be used with DEVKITPPC

Thats is my current output.

Code:
$ make

/media/hdd/Wii/CfgUSBLoader
/bin/sh: -c: línea 0: error sintáctico cerca del elemento inesperado `('
/bin/sh: -c: línea 0: `echo Building cfg70r78.11 -DVERSION=70r78.11 -DDEVKITPPCVER=powerpc-eabi-gcc (devkitPPC release 29-1) 6.3.0 -DCCOPT=\"-Os\"  '
Makefile:158: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 1

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

Code:
$ make

/bin/sh: -c: línea 0: `echo Building cfg70r78.11 -DVERSION=70r78.11 -DDEVKITPPCVER=powerpc-eabi-gcc (devkitPPC release 29-1) 6.3.0 -DCCOPT=\"-Os\"  '

Where did you get the source? devkitPPC was recently updated to a much later version of GCC and the source might need some fixes. There are at least 3 different branches of CFG and only one is still being actively maintained.

CGarces

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where did you get the source? devkitPPC was recently updated to a much later version of GCC and the source might need some fixes. There are at least 3 different branches of CFG and only one is still being actively maintained.

Hi.

I'm using http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/svn/CfgUSBLoader/

The initial error was caused by an error in the makefile fetching the version number of devkitPPC

After fix some compilation errors, and install the portlibs this is my current status

Code:
Building cfg70r78.11 -DVERSION=70r78.11 -DDEVKITPPCVER=29 -DCCOPT="-Os"
libOGC Release 1.8.16
linking ... cfg70r78.11.elf
/home/carlos/devkitPro/devkitPPC/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/6.3.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lgrrlib
/home/carlos/devkitPro/devkitPPC/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/6.3.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lntfs
/home/carlos/devkitPro/devkitPPC/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/6.3.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld: cannot find -lext2fs
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
/home/carlos/devkitPro/devkitPPC/wii_rules:24: recipe for target '/media/hdd/Wii/CfgUSBLoader/cfg70r78.11.elf' failed
make[1]: *** [/media/hdd/Wii/CfgUSBLoader/cfg70r78.11.elf] Error 1
Makefile:160: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2

Any ideas?

Last edited by CGarces,

nitraiolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi.

Code:
$ make

Yes, under /lib there are the binary build of needed libraries under <library name>/lib<devkit version> and at the moment the supported devkits are 17,22,24,25,26 and 27. Next release will be ported to the lastest devkit. If you want to do it by yourself, you have to build with the new devkit every library under /lib and put it in the right folder before trying to build Cfg.

Last edited by nitraiolo,

fisbanregner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have a place to ask config questions, im having issues with a basic config using only config.txt and theme.txt causing the menu under quit to be all deformed. the buttons all stack up at the bottom of the page and i didn't think you con't configure the individual menus
Code:
theme = Eve
music = sd:/usb-loader/music
device = usb
partition = NTFS1
widescreen = 1
gui = start
gui_transition = fade
gui_style = carousel
gui_rows = 2
ntfs_write = 1
covers_path = sd:/usb-loader/covers
covers_path_2d = sd:/usb-loader/covers/2d
covers_path_3d = sd:/usb-loader/covers/3d
covers_path_disc = sd:/usb-loader/covers/disc
covers_path_full = sd:/usb-loader/covers/full
install_partitions = 1:1
clock_style = 12am
Code:
background = bg.png
wbackground = bg_w.png
background_base = bg.png
wbackground_base = bg_w.png
background_gui = bg.png
wbackground_gui = bg_w.png
layout = large3
covers = 1
covers_coords = 471,102
console_coords = 38,40,354,402
preview_coords = -1,-1,0,0
gui_title_area = 100,350,440,30

gui_clock_pos = 15,400
console_color = 14,0
color_header = 10
color_footer = 10
color_selected_fg = 10
color_selected_bg = 0
color_inactive = 13
color_help = 11
console_transparent = 1
cover_style = standard
wcovers_coords = 508,102
wcovers_size = 130,225
wconsole_coords = 37,40,356,402
wpreview_coords = 508,102,130,105
gui_text_shadow = 007300FF
gui_text2_outline = 00A400FF
gui_text2_shadow = 007300FF
gui_text_outline = 00A400FF
coverflow_reflection = 0,0
gui_text_color = 00FF00FF
gui_text2_color = 00FF00FF
gui_bar = 0
gui_button_main = 10, 430, 110, 30, 00FFFFFF/00CCFFFF/007CB4FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_settings = 360, 430, 110, 30, FF8000FF/BE5A00FF/8C4600FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_quit = 520, 430, 110, 30, 00FFFFFF/00CCFFFF/007CB4FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_style = 175, 430, 110, 30, FF00FFFF/CC00FFFF/7C00B4FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_view = 10, 20, 110, 30, 00FF00FF/00A400FF/007300FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_sort = 175, 20, 110, 30, 00FFFFFF/00CCFFFF/007CB4FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_filter = 360, 20, 110, 30, FF8000FF/BE5A00FF/8C4600FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_button_favorites = 520, 20, 110, 30, FA00FFFF/CC00FFFF/7C00B4FF, button.png, button, 10
gui_text_color_menu = 00FF00FF/00A400FF/007300FF
gui_text_color_info = FF8000FF/BE5A00FF/8C4600FF
gui_text_color_title = 00FFFFFF/00CCFFFF/007CB4FF
gui_text_color_button = 00FF00FF/00A400FF/007300FF
gui_text_color_radio = 00FF00FF/00A400FF/007300FF
gui_text_color_checkbox = 00FF00FF/00A400FF/007300FF
gui_window_color_base = 00FFFFFF
gui_window_color_popup = FA00FAFF
I am using a all 3 font files and latest version of cfg loader
all files are stored in default locations on sd card and games stored on ntfs usb drive

Last edited by fisbanregner,

JohnnyOak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just spent the entire afternoon rehacking my Wii, setting things up and adding games. I'm using Nintendont, which loads GameCube games fine, but CFG does not. Is the newest version incompatible? Should I use something else? I've been looking for answers online but all of them are dated.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

JohnnyOak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I also cannot get WiiWare titles to run. I've used Wad2ISO and followed the instructions, it still says it cannot find Loader.dol.

Finally, is it possible to tell the Wii to boot directly into CFG? I though Priiloader would do that, but I'm not so sure. And can I change the CFG opening screen to something else?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a very annoying problem here. :/

When my Wii U HDD (with only Wii U stuff, no GC/Wii games) is plugged in the top USB port on the back, CFG Loader freezes at the boot screen with the logo and I have to pull the power plug of the console.
It launches fine when the HDD is in the bottom USB port.. but the thing is, I'm using a LAN Adapter to connect to the internet and when it's plugged into the top port, CFG Loader doesn't recognize it and can't establish any connection (to download covers etc.) and also no connection ingame (Brawl + Wiimmfi patch). vWii and other homebrew do have a connection when using it in the top port, it's just the CFG loader.

So basically:
LAN adapter bottom / HDD top = freeze
LAN adapter top / HDD bottom = no connection

I'm using the latest build I could find, from here: http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/trac/CfgUSBLoader/
But I also tried the newest version from here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads (GC games won't load with this build, btw)
Same problem all the time. :(

Is there any chance this could be fixed?
CFG USB is the only loader that, aside from this problem, works flawlessly on my setup. I wanted to try others but I'm using a SD card for my GC/Wii games and USB Loader GX doesn't even support loading from SD. Wiiflow has some other issues and loads very slow...

I would really appreciate it if anyone has a solution.

Just out of curiosity, what if you plug the adapter into a front USB port? Not ideal to have it hanging off the front, I'm sure, but if it works... and if not you have another data point for troubleshooting.

JohnnyOak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So after much research and tries, this is what I got:
- My GameCube games dumps work fine after updating everything several times. My GameCube downloaded ISOs do not work and the same error keeps popping up. I believe this happens because the "sys" folder is missing on those. I tried copying it from the dumps, but that doesn't seem to work either.
- WiiWare games seem to need to be installed, which is my own fault for not reading the entire post about it. Now I need to find a way to install them on my HDD instead of the Wii or the SD.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi I just tried booting up CFG loader and it hangs on startup. it just has the splash screen with the version number and "auto", and then stays there forever until unplug my Wii U. I swear it was workign before so i don't know what the fuck is going on and launchign HBC and Nintendont works fine.

Is there a way to reset it to defaults? Otherwise what's the simplest alternative that will read Wii games off a SD card?

EDIT: Redacted. Looking at the thread history led me to try plugging my Wii U's hard drive into the other back USB port, which worked perfectly fine.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

JohnnyOak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Managed to get GameCube games to work fine after much fiddling. Pokémon XD and Star Fox Assualt freeze on startup. They're highlighted with a dull red on Nintendont. Anyone else has problems? What does it mean?
Star Fox Adventures isn't even listed at all.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think red means the game's MD5 hash is invalid? You can test them with the tool in my signature. Drop the ISO on the tool's window and if it says "found" when it's finished it's a good disc image.

rebelsst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am currently using Configurable USB Loader mod (latest version, cfg70r78.11) on my Wii U's vWii to load Wii and GC games off of my SD card (my HD is being used for Wii U games). So far everything is working great. What I would like to do is also run WiiWare games from an emuNAND on my SD card. Is this possible? I believe it has to do with the mighty plugin which I have downloaded from within the Updates section of the loader (mighty.dol is currently in my usb-loader/plugins directory on my SD card). How do I activate the mighty plugin? How do I configure it to look at my emuNAND (currently NAND directory on my SD card)?

Thanks!

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just out of curiosity, what if you plug the adapter into a front USB port? Not ideal to have it hanging off the front, I'm sure, but if it works... and if not you have another data point for troubleshooting.

Just tried it. No connection in CFG loader when using the front ports. It seems like the loader only recognizes the bottom port on the back for internet connection...
I suppose the other issue is, that the upper port on the back is the only one that's being recognized for HDD storage but due to the fact that it's a HDD with a Wii U file system it tries to read it and hangs. It is also the only port where I see the HDD LED flashing during CFG boot screen.

This is probably easily fixed by either making it possible to deactivate the USB device check, or by somehow adding support for network connections to the other USB port.

Who is maintaining this loader nowadays? The most recent build is here and it was even updated this year: http://cfgusbloader.ntd.homelinux.org/trac/CfgUSBLoader/
But where can we post issues and suggestions?

Therion28290

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I have gamecube games working perfectly from my external HDD on my Wii in .iso format when I launch them from Nintendont, but when I try to launch a game from cfg Loader it just freezes to a black screen, then I have to hold the power button down for a few seconds to turn it off. I have read guides and googled for an answer, but can't find one. It seems like maybe I have to do something to get cfg Loader to use Nintendont to launch the games?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy