Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
v41v4 of the Configurator is out. It allows you to save background images from file formats other than .png and also supports rounding of corners in the generated overlay boxes.

DXFactor said:
Hey guys. I don't seem to ever have any success with downloading boxart anymore. Does anyone know of any URLs we can add to the config.txt that work?
Try using my Configurator, but remove the WiiTDB links from the defaults.

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I make a request for a password prompt when using cheat per game and/or global setting ?
Something like confirmation prompt but with password instead of just press the A button.
The reason for this is so the kids don't use it for online and get my wii ban.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
duy64 said:
Can I make a request for a password prompt when using cheat per game and/or global setting ?
Something like confirmation prompt but with password instead of just press the A button.
The reason for this is so the kids don't use it for online and get my wii ban.
Why don't you just have ocarina switched off for all games by default and only turn it on when you want to use it in the options. Use:

CODEocarina=0
disable_options=1
And you will get your password to enable ocarina right there, as you have to enter it to get to the options to turn on the cheats.

If you still want the kids to be able to cheat, then you probably don't want to set the "ocarina=0", but you can still go and individually configure all your online games to not load cheats by default to use the password feature to play them as indicated above.

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is some games would have a working settings saved.
To enable cheat on those games, I would need to manually set the settings again, as it would reset to default when unlock.
It would be a lot easier if the save game settings doesn't reset all the settings to default when unlock, or have the save game option not to grey out the cheat option.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
duy64 said:
The problem is some games would have a working settings saved.
To enable cheat on those games, I would need to manually set the settings again, as it would reset to default when unlock.
It would be a lot easier if the save game settings doesn't reset all the settings to default when unlock, or have the save game option not to grey out the cheat option.
Now that is a point. That part has always confused me too, and I can't remember oggzee ever giving a reason why the options go back to default when removing the save. Let him know when he gets back from his trip and it can probably be changed.

Profezza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Configurable has steadily become *the* loader. I started using it b/c it had the options required to make rock band and such work, and then it just kept getting faster and adding features at the same time, now, with the music, it has become (in cover flow or other graphicy mode) the main thing in the living room all day every day (except when we are playing gmaes, natch).... Now, that I'm an am an admitted fanboy, can I make a bunch of requests, and if they are pleasing to others they can be inspired, and if they are tre lame, then just forget I was here? some of this stuff might have been added just while I was typing this!
  • An on-screen clock
  • changeable, scalable font(s)
  • file locking, so that manually corrected images (RR2) or code lists (AC:LGttC) don't get updated with bad stuffs, or a local-preferred mode, like the stuff with titles.txt
  • an in-loader configuration
  • start loader on last game selected
  • screensaver-like random game art flipper mode after xx minutes untouched (in graphicy modes), screen dimmer after yy minutes
  • the artist and track tag info at the beginning/end of songs
  • a metadata field that could show the age rating, metacritic score, genre, custom text, description, or something like that, could be internet-magicified?
  • custom image load on game highlight (like a translucent bacground overlaid screenshot or GIANT background coverart when the game is in under the cursor, with transitions)
  • an option where the default controller is held like Super Paper Mario, (NES style) ...then it can go back to pointer mode on the fly if it sees the sensor bar, and 1 & 2 mimic A & B
  • analog scroll speed control with the 'chuk or the CC's sticks
  • disc loader, HBC loader, Channel loaders (like each was a game box)
    smile.gif
  • DVD player (from the same slot as the disc loader)
The things on the above list range from the maybe easy to the certainly difficult, from worthwhile to just silly, I suppose. They are just random brainstorms... The real reason I wrote all this was to request the clock, and then I got carried away. Thank you for all the INSPIRED effort that has already gone into this app. Constantly. I wish the console makers would study this. Not getting off the couch to switch games MAKES the little free time I have so much better!

Can wait to see what happens next!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Profezza said:
Configurable has steadily become *the* loader. I started using it b/c it had the options required to make rock band and such work, and then it just kept getting faster and adding features at the same time, now, with the music, it has become (in cover flow or other graphicy mode) the main thing in the living room all day every day (except when we are playing gmaes, natch).... Now, that I'm an am an admitted fanboy, can I make a bunch of requests, and if they are pleasing to others they can be inspired, and if they are tre lame, then just forget I was here? some of this stuff might have been added just while I was typing this!

Some of your stuff is already in there. The gui font is changeable and scalable via font.png. For file locking, have you tried setting the read-only flag on the files on a PC? I don't know if that'll work, but it's worth a try. Also, oggzee has already announced the wish to add WiiTDB support at some stage, which provides all that metadata info you mentioned.

A few others would cause big problems. Custom game backgrounds is a major one due to limited memory resources. Changing the button configuration simply on holding the Wiimote sideways doesn't work in practice. E.g., sometimes there'll be something obscuring my sensor bar and I'll still want to use the Loader without getting off the couch. Having made the Configurator, I can tell you right now that in-loader configuration would be very annoying to implement. There's over 100 options now and the interaction between them is quite difficult to pin down. I would not want to even attempt building something like the Configurator that would only be controlled by a Wii pointer
wacko.gif

The rest are pretty interesting. I don't know if I'd have a use for any of them, but they seem fun nonetheless.

Edit: Oh wait, forgot to address those other loading options like channels, DVDs etc. While a nice idea, I don't feel the need to have those in a USB Loader. We don't want to spread oggzee and usptactical too thin, so the primary focus should always be on the primary purpose.

Profezza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Profezza said:

Some of your stuff is already in there. The gui font is changeable and scalable via font.png. For file locking, have you tried setting the read-only flag on the files on a PC? I don't know if that'll work, but it's worth a try. Also, oggzee has already announced the wish to add WiiTDB support at some stage, which provides all that metadata info you mentioned.

I was thinking something like drop a truetype font in a folder sort of thing when I posted, but that sounds good and working already!

Dr. Clipper said:
A few others would cause big problems. Custom game backgrounds is a major one due to limited memory resources. Changing the button configuration simply on holding the Wiimote sideways doesn't work in practice. E.g., sometimes there'll be something obscuring my sensor bar and I'll still want to use the Loader without getting off the couch. Having made the Configurator, I can tell you right now that in-loader configuration would be very annoying to implement. There's over 100 options now and the interaction between them is quite difficult to pin down. I would not want to even attempt building something like the Configurator that would only be controlled by a Wii pointer
wacko.gif

Without pigging up all the resources, the best method would probably be to have the pic only show up after a few sec delay, and then be replaced in memory by the next (if any), so there is only one poster on the wall, so to speak. This relies on some nice access times, but I suspect HDD access is a much richer thing to tap than that onboard memory. The metadata sounds mo betta to me, and the pic would get in the way. Speaking of which we really need a network of mirrors fro the Wiitdb, to make it more bulletproof.

I did want to get in to too much detail in that pipe-dream list, but that control setup it is indeed a little complicated. The simplest way I could see it working is that if you put the unit into "NES-like" mode in the config, the d-pad is always off by 90 degrees clockwise. As it is now, I use the D-Pad and the pointer, but not at the same time. Which creates a problem would be what to map the current uses of 1 and 2 too... hmmmmm..... maybe where - & + are. Would require diabling installs or new interface. Bleh.

I agree about the ingame configurator. I knew some of the tasks were much more insane than others. Still fun ideas to imagine. IT does sound too hard with only a Wii pointer-- Make sure to lobby for added controller setups before then inloader config!!
biggrin.gif

A ha! USB Keyboard Support! Jump to starting letter, enter to launch, space for options, cursors to navigate, text entry for the ingame config. Sweet. (I'm kidding, sounds bad.)

QUOTE(Dr. Clipper @ Aug 24 2009, 01:00 AM)
The rest are pretty interesting. I don't know if I'd have a use for any of them, but they seem fun nonetheless.

Edit: Oh wait, forgot to address those other loading options like channels, DVDs etc. While a nice idea, I don't feel the need to have those in a USB Loader. We don't want to spread oggzee and usptactical too thin, so the primary focus should always be on the primary purpose.

There's things I don't use in the Loader now, but I'm using things I didn't know about 1 month ago all the time...

And hey, it's okay to ask for disc/channel/dvd loading--as long as they can be turned off in the config
wink.gif
I'm not the guy that added SD/SDHC loading.... But the name is going to get awfully long eventually!
nyanya.gif

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See response in bold:

Profezza said:
Configurable has steadily become *the* loader. I started using it b/c it had the options required to make rock band and such work...
  • An on-screen clock
    Don't really see the need
    Already have it. Use WiiBuilder to create the fonts.
  • file locking, so that manually corrected images (RR2) or code lists (AC:LGttC) don't get updated with bad stuffs, or a local-preferred mode, like the stuff with titles.txt
    This loader has too many options as it is.
    tongue.gif
    I don't see the new settings screens having much more than what is currently there.
    This is a valid request
  • screensaver-like random game art flipper mode after xx minutes untouched (in graphicy modes), screen dimmer after yy minutes
    This is a valid request
  • a metadata field that could show the age rating, metacritic score, genre, custom text, description, or something like that, could be internet-magicified?
    WiiTDB support is on the list
  • custom image load on game highlight (like a translucent bacground overlaid screenshot or GIANT background coverart when the game is in under the cursor, with transitions)
  • an option where the default controller is held like Super Paper Mario, (NES style) ...then it can go back to pointer mode on the fly if it sees the sensor bar, and 1 & 2 mimic A & B
    smile.gif

Don't see the need for HBC loading
    Use MPlayer

aabbccdd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
usptactical said:
See response in bold:

Profezza said:
Configurable has steadily become *the* loader. I started using it b/c it had the options required to make rock band and such work...
  • An on-screen clock
    Already have it. Use WiiBuilder to create the fonts.
    This loader has too many options as it is.
    tongue.gif
    I don't see the new settings screens having much more than what is currently there.
    This is a valid request
    This is a valid request
    WiiTDB support is on the list
    smile.gif

Don't see the need for HBC loading
    Use MPlayer

A quote monster, but what can you do. HBC loading would be great, that's one of the things why I use USB Loader GX over others, don't have to exit back to system menu and select HBC if I want to boot homebrew. That also eliminates the need for a DVD player, I can select Mplayer from the HBC menu.

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just have a small request to have the SAVE GAME OPTION not to grey out the main options, as some times I just want to make one small change, such as enable cheat. Currently it would reset all the settings if I press 2 to remove the save to make the ONE change, and therefore I would have to re-enable all the settings rather than just the ONE.

HemiSync

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
aabbccdd said:
A quote monster, but what can you do. HBC loading would be great, that's one of the things why I use USB Loader GX over others, don't have to exit back to system menu and select HBC if I want to boot homebrew. That also eliminates the need for a DVD player, I can select Mplayer from the HBC menu.
One of the reasons I quit using GX was because it was getting bloated with unnecessary stuff, some of it causing more problems than it was worth. It is only two button presses max to go from CFG to HBC.

There is some real strengths in the KISS philosophy of programming. Keep It Simple Stupid. This is the best loader out there now and I would far rather see them working on tweaks to make it even stronger in its core applications, than to see them wasting time rebuilding the whole app so it can become the next Windows Vista of USB Loaders.
wink.gif

aabbccdd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
HemiSync said:
aabbccdd said:
One of the reasons I quit using GX was because it was getting bloated with unnecessary stuff, some of it causing more problems than it was worth. It is only two button presses max to go from CFG to HBC.

There is some real strengths in the KISS philosophy of programming. Keep It Simple Stupid. This is the best loader out there now and I would far rather see them working on tweaks to make it even stronger in its core applications, than to see them wasting time rebuilding the whole app so it can become the next Windows Vista of USB Loaders.
wink.gif

Actually, 3 button presses. Home > HBC > Start channel
wink.gif
Anyway, everyone to his own.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It sould be possible to store png into the iso files and the cfg file in the WBFS partition like uLoader?

We won't need a SD card for nothing...

With default mload(cIOS222) option of course.....

PD: can you release source code please? A new echmodule.elf will be released soon (with uLoader 3.0) and I want to test with your CFG USBLoader.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
josete2k said:
It sould be possible to store png into the iso files and the cfg file in the WBFS partition like uLoader?

We won't need a SD card for nothing...

With default mload(cIOS222) option of course.....

PD: can you release source code please? A new echmodule.elf will be released soon (with uLoader 3.0) and I want to test with your CFG USBLoader.
All of this is already covered:

You can store your covers and config files on the USB drive, eliminating the need for an SD card already. You just need a FAT partition.

oggzee's already releasing a version of the loader with default IOS222 in every release now.

To use the new ehcmodule.elf, just put it in the base directory (typically sd:/usb-loader) and rename it ehcmodule3.elf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife