Concerns of core partially melting at Fukushima nuke plant

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The core at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 1 reactor may be partially melting, the nuclear safety agency said Saturday.

Radioactive substance cesium was detected around the reactor, it said.

==Kyodo[/p]

source

here is a second article if anyone wants more info.

another source

I know the news isn't incredibly detailed, but it's not like where sitting there with the scientists.. more information should become available soon, stay posted.

The operation at Fukushima No.1 plant to lower pressure of the containment vessel has been suspended due to high radiation levels at the site.

Pressure of the reactor container is rising as its cooling system became dysfunctional due to a blackout and power generator breakdown. This has raised concern about possible damage to the container.

The power station's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, began to vent air from the reactor container at 9AM on Saturday.

Under the plan, 2 valves close to the container would be opened manually, but radiation level on the second valve was found higher than expected.

The operation has been suspended because of the possibility that workers could be exposed to radiation. The utility is reportedly studying how to open the valve by replacing workers at a short interval, or using electric remote control.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says if radioactive substance is released in the air, safety of residents evacuated beyond a 10-kilometer radius from the No.1 reactor will be ensured.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 13:09 +0900 (JST)[/p]

source

Z

Zorua

Oh my god.......
I just hope this doesn't end up being Hiroshima and Nagasaki #2.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
Oh my god.......

wtf.gif

No...seriously....
wtf.gif

---------------------------------------------

I don't see why this is marked as "URGENT" on GBAtemp, though. Sure, it's potentially dangerous, but it's not like people come here for Japanese safety warnings. Also....a better source would be cool.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit! I knew this was gonna happen.....I hope this isn't as bad as Chernobyl .....last thing japan needs is another nuclear disaster right now....

Z

Zorua

Fear Zoa said:
Damnit! I knew this was gonna happen.....I hope this isn't as bad as Chernobyl .....last thing japan needs is another nuclear disaster right now....

Chrenobyl was in Ukraine.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Zorua said:
Oh my god.......

wtf.gif

No...seriously....
wtf.gif

---------------------------------------------

I don't see why this is marked as "URGENT" on GBAtemp, though. Sure, it's potentially dangerous, but it's not like people come here for Japanese safety warnings. Also....a better source would be cool.

sry about that, I forgot to edit the title... maybe a mod could fix it, my bad.
glare.gif

there was a nuclear meltdown once in texas, if I remember correctly. the whole town was evacuated and it's been abandoned for 20+ years.. I hope this comes out without any more deaths..

edit: let me reword this a little, I was basing my knowledge from the history channel program, life after people.

just looked into it some more, they where talking about Chernobyl, forgive my ignorance.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
Fear Zoa said:

Chrenobyl was in Ukraine.
I worded that funny...I was saying this incident is like Chernobyl.....then when I say another nuclear disaster I was referring to Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiroshima & Nagasaki were bombed.
This is a possible nuclear meltdown at a plant.

Completely unrelated.

You guys. /shakeshead

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhhhhh shit. This can't be good.
Why don't the designers of a nuclear plant on an island take into account natural disasters common to islands? @__@ Nuclear plants on islands should really be tsunami proof. Plants in the middle of the plains should be tornado proof, plants in coastal regions should be hurricane proof, etc.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
this is of concern to me. it will not only kill many people but may cause genetic mutation to those who survived but contaminated. their life would change.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devante said:

Completely unrelated.

You guys. /shakeshead
Both are terrible situations that involve nuclear technology and lots of radiation...... I'd say there related quite a bit....

that and a meltdown has the same effects as a bomb (even the huge explosion)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't make something natural disaster proof. There is no such thing as an earthquake proof reactor, and nothing on this planet could ever be tsunami proof when a big ass tsunami comes crashing down.

I mean, this was an inevitability with a natural disaster of this magnitude.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Fear Zoa said:
Devante said:

Completely unrelated.

You guys. /shakeshead
Both are terrible situations that involve nuclear technology and lots of radiation...... I'd say there related quite a bit....

that and a meltdown has the same effects as a bomb (even the huge explosion)
yeah fear zoa's right, it's the same, inside the power plant, similar effects of nuclear bomb being triggered is what happens. because the blast is so strong that it's much greater force so that power can be generated. that's what i know.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
yeah fear zoa's right, it's the same, inside the power plant, similar effects of nuclear bomb being triggered is what happens. because the blast is so strong that it's much greater force so that power can be generated. that's what i know.
A nuclear meltdown won't yield conventional explosion blast comparable to Atomic bomb, instead it'll yield considerable amount radiation. Think of it as mini-neutron bomb.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
trumpet-205 said:
Narayan said:
A nuclear meltdown won't yield conventional explosion blast comparable to Atomic bomb, instead it'll yield considerable amount radiation. Think of it as mini-neutron bomb.
no not the meltdown. i'm saying what happens about what happens inside a nuclear plant, but yeah you're right. they were talking about meltdown. my bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.