Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
So I have the following mother board.
AAAAAuk2GRwAAAAAAKPlpA.jpg

My CPU fan is extremely large, and I had to tilt the fan from the North Bridge a little bit in order for me to install the fan...

I took a few shots of the fan on the north bridge, and I was wondering if it is ok to do this... I have a Q6600 quad and 4 gigs of 800HMz RAM.
dsc00631vv6.jpg

dsc00632ol0.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without seeing myself I am not willing to say definitively yes but you should be fine (fans on the northbridge are a fairly new thing).

However for such a new machine there should be a northbridge temperature readout from which you should be able to get temps (make sure to get them from a stress test and if overclocking after (if) you raise the voltage)

Failing that you should be able to buy a polymer tunnel (that fan looks to be a common size) and the stock CPU fan should be fine (if a shade noisy) until you do.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I attached it only using two screws...
Now I have another question... the mobo has an 8pin 12v connector, my powersupply only has a 4pin 12v connector. What am I supposed to do?
NVM- it said that 4 pin will work too, but 4pin is not as good as 8pin?

Tripp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
I attached it only using two screws...
Now I have another question... the mobo has an 8pin 12v connector, my powersupply only has a 4pin 12v connector. What am I supposed to do?
NVM- it said that 4 pin will work too, but 4pin is not as good as 8pin?

If the two screws were a forced/hacked install make sure to use canned air to get rid of metal filing and you are good.

As far as 4 pin being not as good I would say it is not because you are drawing the 12 volts off of one rail as oposed to 2 seperate 12 volt rails.

Read here for more info. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnector...ors.html#4into8

Hope this helps...
biggrin.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Guys, thank you so much for the wonderful tips. I have fully installed, with one exception... my mobo only has 1 IDE serial port, which means I can use only 1 of my 2 hard drives, along with one optical drive. My optical drive is also serial... The obvious solution is to get a new DVD-drive that supports SATA... Stupid compatibility issues makes me want to throw a gamboy advanced SP...
hate2.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Sick Wario said:
obviously you OC that Q6600 (hoping its G0 stepping) so can i ask what you're running it at? vcore etc
blink.gif
blink.gif
I didn't understand a thing you said... I use windows XP, so I think the 3 other cores will go unused...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Apr 22 2008, 06:19 PM) Can you not just internalise a USB/firewire port and get an adapter?
I believe to a computer idiot like myself, it's much easier to just buy a SATA DVD drive, lol

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
8800gt will work very well, i have 2 of these cards in my system, and very happy about it.
To use all 4gb of memory you need to run windows xp 64-bit edition.
normal windows xp can only use 3,2gb max.

ps.
I use the Scythe Infinity cooler, it's very good cooling for overclocking quad-core processors
smile.gif

scythe-infinity-tn18.jpg

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
lenselijer said:
8800gt will work very well, i have 2 of these cards in my system, and very happy about it.
To use all 4gb of memory you need to run windows xp 64-bit edition.
normal windows xp can only use 3,2gb max.

ps.
I use the Scythe Infinity cooler, it's very good cooling for overclocking quad-core processors
smile.gif

scythe-infinity-tn18.jpg
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
You are right... only 2.75 gig is recognized...
I really want to use the 4gigs without having to install X64... I heard it is crap...

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gamers either use XP 32 or Vista x64, the support for Vista x64 is very good. I used it for 8 months with 0 problems. (Except a BSOD because of Creative's shitty drivers)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: