Complete backup solution without root?

beikenson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like the title says, what is the best backup solution without root currently? It is so hard to root a phone since Android 7.0.

amserask

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't mean you are the only one who has this problem , the root program is complex and dangerous .
But some backup software doesn't ask you to root your phone like this program.

Last edited by amserask,

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What phone do you have? Most Android phones can be rooted, regardless of the Android version installed.

Once your phone is rooted, you can use a custom recovery called TWRP to make a complete backup.

Last edited by ry755,
Reactions: yuyuyup

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
rooting a phone usually wipe it entirely !
if you want to backup a phone you already used, recommending rooting is maybe not advised as he will lose everything and will have nothing to backup anymore.

of course, then he can make full rom and user data backup, but I suppose he wants only backing up his data.
some manufacturer might have tools to backup (sms, contact list, photo, etc.) to computer. if not enough, you'll have to use a program but most will need root to backup also your settings and savegames for example.

you can also use adb command line interface (it's an android developer tool) on your computer, but you have to learn how it works and which command to type to do backups of everything, or single app, etc. adb might not backup everything as some programs are protected.
there are GUI or layer to use with adb, like titanium backup.

I never use it, but based on all the reading I did, I'd recommend Titanium. It's using adb to do the backup without root.
you can also make a backup, root (will wipe your phone !!), and restore backup to get them back on your now rooted device. if you don't do that you'll lose everything when rooting it.
https://www.titaniumtrack.com/lates...supports-backups-from-non-rooted-devices.html

Last edited by Cyan,

hobojoe551

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ry755 said:
Once your phone is rooted, you can use a custom recovery called TWRP to make a complete backup.
You do not necessarily need to root to install TWRP. As long as you have unlocked your bootloader it is possible. The only problem with this is that in order to unlock bootloader your phone will wipe. I would recommend backing up with titanium using adb like @Cyan mentioned and then install TWRP. Afterwards you can restore your titanium backup and have TWRP. TWRP can be very useful especially if you somehow brick you phone or get stuck in a boot loop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.