Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
what? Gateway is $100 and R4i3DS is roughly $66? where did you see? it is so impossible. which one do you want to buy? the price in this website is very fair. but i cant link to you. you can search prima-module.com in googel. good luck.

Its a local store here in the Philippines. Well, I already ordered online via nds-card.com and its also amost $100. 80 for the gateway and 18 for ems shipping. Hoping our customs won't tax me. Nds-card said they will just declare $10 as the price for the item.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its a local store here in the Philippines. Well, I already ordered online via nds-card.com and its also amost $100. 80 for the gateway and 18 for ems shipping. Hoping our customs won't tax me. Nds-card said they will just declare $10 as the price for the item.
Wow, in some countries the prices are ridiculous high. Normal price would be somewhere between $60 and $70 if i am correct, and very often shipping is free.

meineliebe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
$100. 80 for the gateway and 18 for ems shipping.? it is really so expensive。 i think that round 90$ is fair. because i have bought by Euro on the prima-module.com. i think the quality is very good. and it is not so expensive like you bought.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I apologise for the n00b questions, but I have a couple:

Can a flashcard be used to backup a 3DS, a bit like a system transfer?

Also, can you backup a system with games installed on it and install the settings onto another 3DS, thus 'cloning' it? (As opposed to a system transfer which deletes data on the other 3DS)?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I apologise for the n00b questions, but I have a couple:

Can a flashcard be used to backup a 3DS, a bit like a system transfer?

Also, can you backup a system with games installed on it and install the settings onto another 3DS, thus 'cloning' it? (As opposed to a system transfer which deletes data on the other 3DS)?
.....sort of, you can set emunand up then back it up onto the PC and do a system stransfer, after the transfer has finished, you can restore your emunand and SD contents and the content will be back on the original console too........this is limited though, as once you connect to the internet the 3DS will see that it's not supposed to have the games installed and delete them again, so you couldn't use it to clone the games properly as you would have to keep the system offline, or keep restoring your SD contents all the time

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.....sort of, you can set emunand up then back it up onto the PC and do a system stransfer, after the transfer has finished, you can restore your emunand and SD contents and the content will be back on the original console too........this is limited though, as once you connect to the internet the 3DS will see that it's not supposed to have the games installed and delete them again, so you couldn't use it to clone the games properly as you would have to keep the system offline, or keep restoring your SD contents all the time

OK, thanks - so cloning isn't a realistic option - but I CAN back up my system? I want to transfer my installed games to someone else, but not yet as they don't have a 3DS. However, there are other games that I wish to buy and install in the meantime but keep, so I have 3 addiional questions:

1) Can I back-up my 3DS to my PC to install on someone else's 3DS in the future, and then wipe my 3DS and install other games on it to keep?

2) Just a random thought - with a flash card, can I install any ROM/piece of software, therefore making the e-shop irrelevant anyway? Are there any drawbacks, e.g. no online play?

3) Oh, and from what I gather all cards are a clone of one of them so rather than trawling through the reviews, can I ask what the recommended flash card is, what size and type of SD card I should get for it and is there a 'best' one like there was in terms of read/write when I got one for my old DS?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
OK, thanks - so cloning isn't a realistic option - but I CAN back up my system? I want to transfer my installed games to someone else, but not yet as they don't have a 3DS. However, there are other games that I wish to buy and install in the meantime but keep, so I have 3 addiional questions:

1) Can I back-up my 3DS to my PC to install on someone else's 3DS in the future, and then wipe my 3DS and install other games on it to keep?

2) Just a random thought - with a flash card, can I install any ROM/piece of software, therefore making the e-shop irrelevant anyway? Are there any drawbacks, e.g. no online play?

3) Oh, and from what I gather all cards are a clone of one of them so rather than trawling through the reviews, can I ask what the recommended flash card is, what size and type of SD card I should get for it and is there a 'best' one like there was in terms of read/write when I got one for my old DS?
1) you can only resore your back up to your specific console
2) some eshop content is already available on the gateway card, not all but i expect the list will grow now that its possible.........although online play is not allowed for any illegitimate content,(i.e roms/eshop dumps)
3) Gateway is the original innovator and has the best compatibility, it now also has multi rom menu so you can copy several games to the SD at once, so the bigger the SD the better, just be sure to make sure you dont get sold a knock off card test it with h2testw if you buy it online

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) you can only resore your back up to your specific console
2) some eshop content is already available on the gateway card, not all but i expect the list will grow now that its possible.........although online play is not allowed for any illegitimate content,(i.e roms/eshop dumps)
3) Gateway is the original innovator and has the best compatibility, it now also has multi rom menu so you can copy several games to the SD at once, so the bigger the SD the better, just be sure to make sure you dont get sold a knock off card test it with h2testw if you buy it online

Thanks again for the swift reply. Can I ask how to find out which menu version I have? Also, could I do the following?

1) Backup my console, then wipe it and install the other games that I want to keep
2) Then when I want to transfer the old backed-up data to the other 3DS, backup my new current stuff that I have on the 3DS to my PC...
3) Then load the old games and stuff back onto it in order to transfer to the other 3DS?
4) After that, restore the backup of my new stuff that I backed-up in step #2?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks again for the swift reply. Can I ask how to find out which menu version I have? Also, could I do the following?

1) Backup my console, then wipe it and install the other games that I want to keep
2) Then when I want to transfer the old backed-up data to the other 3DS, backup my new current stuff that I have on the 3DS to my PC...
3) Then load the old games and stuff back onto it in order to transfer to the other 3DS?
4) After that, restore the backup of my new stuff that I backed-up in step #2?
go to system settings and your FW version is wrote on the bottom right hand corner of the top screen.
if your FW is above 4.5 you will not be able to use any 3ds flashcards
yeah that should work fine, just be sure you only update emunand to get your new content, if you update the system nand there is no way to downgrade, unless you made a nand dump while your where on 4.x and can solder

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks again, I eventually figured out the menu anyway, but unfortunately it's version 7.1.0-16U - the very latest one!

I wanted to buy Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies then sell it on after playing it, but it's download only and there's no replay value, so I would have used a flashcard to play it instead (I buy all of my other games as I keep them forever, this would be the exception) - looks like I can't do that though, gutted. Guess I'll have to begrudgingly buy the bloody game. >: (

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not really practical, I only recently got it, and it's A Link Between Worlds themed one. Plus I had to import it from the States (I live in the UK) - all of the hassle to sell it and get another one isn't worth it.

Karze

Trophies
XP
Country
Go for it, the sooner the better!

I myself have had no problems, after buying from a official reseller in my region.
My expectations from FW v1.2 to v2.1 have been more than fulfilled with latest features (ie multi-rom).

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would you guys reccomend me? :) i'm thinking to buy Gateway from the start. what is your personal opinion? :)

Please, advise me

(Money is not the object, only quality is!)
If money is no object, then a) gimme $1 million, and b) get Gateway. At this point in time, it is by far the best flash cart out there. 3 months from now? Who knows.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
If money is no object, then a) gimme $1 million, and b) get Gateway. At this point in time, it is by far the best flash cart out there. 3 months from now? Who knows.

haha nooo 1 milion is nothing..how about 2? xD

Ahhh im only concerned about bricking thing :/ i heard its best if you want to avoid diagnostic checking ON firmware that bricks..i cant remember what fw that is... and since OMEGA supports multirom, is there someone that has reported that omega bricks consloes?

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha nooo 1 milion is nothing..how about 2? xD

Ahhh im only concerned about bricking thing :/ i heard its best if you want to avoid diagnostic checking ON firmware that bricks..i cant remember what fw that is... and since OMEGA supports multirom, is there someone that has reported that omega bricks consloes?
To my knowledge, there is no reported bricking from Gateway 2.1. If there was, I'm sure people would be screaming in this thread, the others, and on the front page. The diagnostics reportedly causing the bricks was from the previous firmware, and while you're never completely safe when dealing with hacks, exploits, and the like, you shouldn't worry about bricking. I use multirom every day, and I've only had one crash, but that was probably because I hit the power button. (:

Reactions: cloud1250000

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
To my knowledge, there is no reported bricking from Gateway 2.1. If there was, I'm sure people would be screaming in this thread, the others, and on the front page. The diagnostics reportedly causing the bricks was from the previous firmware, and while you're never completely safe when dealing with hacks, exploits, and the like, you shouldn't worry about bricking. I use multirom every day, and I've only had one crash, but that was probably because I hit the power button. (:

I had a lot of crashs on PSP, PSX, PC, Wii... etc. but that's not the same as brickiing :O brick is the worst animal :3

And... "power button"??

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a lot of crashs on PSP, PSX, PC, Wii... etc. but that's not the same as brickiing :O brick is the worst animal :3

And... "power button"??
Well, I spent much more time on my DS than I have with my 3DS, so sometimes without thinking I hit the power button because it's now where the DS's start button use to be. This was while playing a game, and I'm not sure if it's repeatable or not, but I'm definitely not going to try and find out,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Well, I spent much more time on my DS than I have with my 3DS, so sometimes without thinking I hit the power button because it's now where the DS's start button use to be. This was while playing a game, and I'm not sure if it's repeatable or not, but I'm definitely not going to try and find out,

so..to close the game you exit from home menu? how does that work on GW i wonder :/
With legit cart i eather turn off the power or home than close, or just close the lid or... is there some special way to turn off 3DS with GW and NOT crash it? :P :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU