Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my opinion, Gateway just gave too much information to please the people, look at the clone cards and MT, they only communicate on their website if they have something out..i guess GW learned from this and keeping a media silence now untill they actually have something to show.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Let me guess - MT card owner - doesn't have a clue who is actually behind GW

You know why GW didn't go ahead and add a bank switching hardware method to switch ROMs. Because they knew from the outset, further work into the 3DS firmware would make basically a custom firmware possible with all these features. It just wouldn't be immediately because it actually takes WORK (work that MT card or any other team has no clue about).

Sorry but i think creating a kernel mode hack for 3DS from scratch is infact 'much better' than ripping off someone else's kernel hack and adding a switch on the hardware.
I own both, a MT and a GW. You can see the names of the games on the SD card at the MT menu, too. It's not just a hardware switch!
We don't know where Gateway got the kernel mode hack from. They could have found it but they could also just bought it from Neimod or someone else.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks to the OP for the comprehensive overview. I was thinking of selling on my old DSi card and upgrading to a 3DS card but given the incapacity to run homebrew and the potential risk of the 3DS firmware being damaged I'm going to have to wait quite a while until they're out of their infancy.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to the OP for the comprehensive overview. I was thinking of selling on my old DSi card and upgrading to a 3DS card but given the incapacity to run homebrew and the potential risk of the 3DS firmware being damaged I'm going to have to wait quite a while until they're out of their infancy.

Anytime! :) You might be waiting a long time though so please keep that in mind. :P

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Just thought you might have missed a point. Depending on where you're located, the longer that you wait for a 3DS. The chances of it being exploitable decreases. But this is subjective to the discovery of new exploits.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks, but if it can only be used to play ROMs then I'm not that interested - although I'm sure that I read somewhere that they can be used as cheat devices as well?. It's a new 'A Link Between Worlds' US 3DS XL (I'm in the UK but imported) by the way.

I know that as time goes on, Nintendo may get better at blocking these cards unless we act now, but what if one of their updates bricks a my 3DS?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks, but if it can only be used to play ROMs then I'm not that interested - although I'm sure that I read somewhere that they can be used as cheat devices as well?. It's a new 'A Link Between Worlds' US 3DS XL (I'm in the UK but imported) by the way.

I know that as time goes on, Nintendo may get better at blocking these cards unless we act now, but what if one of their updates bricks a my 3DS?
you couldn't really get bricked by an update from nintendo....because to use the 3ds flashcards.....you don't update.

i doubt nintendo could really legally brick peoples consoles, and the 3ds flashcards only change the system in memory, they don't really make any modifications to system files which would go bad with an update...the only area that is changed is the profile area, and simply running a standard DS game removes that anyway, if you where super paranoid, you would simply format your 3ds and run a ds game and the console is back to stock

you can use the MT firmware to just play other region retail games if you have no interest in running backups, you would still need a 3ds compatible DS card and a 3ds on 4.x though

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the R4i Gold Deluxe and 3DSLink cards officially dead?
Because they haven't released anything lately? If that's the case, Gateway is too. /boom

No one knows, really. Sometimes clones come, make a quick buck, then leave. Sometimes they last for a long time.

pavlos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
quick question cause i m confused : which 3ds flashcart supports online gameplay ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't count that as "3ds flashcard online support".
maybe that was the answer they where looking for though:lol:
None with roms
all with classic mode and genuine games
they did say they where confused it just clarifies why some people are playing online whilst still being able to use a flash card

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUESTION:

Do any flashcards enable you to rip a save from a game installed on your 3DS system and put it onto a legitimate game card, perhaps with the use of a PC? I was able to do this using the wireless network on my old DS (from one card to another card). I want to get a physical A Link Between Worlds copy basically 'cos I'm a lame person who has to have the physical media if possible in my collection, but already have it on my 3DS and would like to transfer said save when I get the physical copy down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that new Pepsi lime it just taste like pepsi
  • DTApple @ DTApple:
    With lime, right?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just pepsi lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's D-Days 80th anniversary today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I drink the Coke with lime all the time, in my Spiced rum (Captain Morgans) I hate pepsi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably better just to jizz a lime squeeze inside it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    volvic > anything else
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My piss is water
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That looks like the router i just got from microcenter. Spectrum wanted to charge me $7 a month for a wifi router, so I said no thank you and just bought one, I paid like $65 tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Linksys?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea its Linksys, but not sure if same model, has 4 antennas
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6gbps and two usb ports that supports ntfs is pretty solid dont care if it's reconditioned for $55
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just trying to figure out if it's vpn supported
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could probably set it up like a nas device
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    TP your router
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unless @Psionic Roshambo can convince me to spend $100 on a better option I'm probably going with it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Works great for me, all i need. Can go way back on edge of property and still get 3/5 bars. And it let me setup IP Vanish on it no problem.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google fibers router sucks keeps randomly blocking websites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it say "Unexpected Database Error"?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Might as well 403
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I yell at my isp like listen if I get a virus that's on me stop trying to protect me
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i just scratched my leg again, this time fortunately the only thing that came out was the itch
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and i just scratched my leg again, this time fortunately the only thing that came out was the itch