Hacking Clearing up some questions regarding backups and HDD's

TheRenegadist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, in the process of getting a 3.55 OFW CECHA01 from a friend and I had a few questions before I make the final purchase. I've attempted to ask several people in the PS3 scene these questions and haven't had any responses as of late, I'm hoping GBATemp can help me here.

I'm mainly looking to get a system that can play PS1, PS2, and PS3 backups off of an external drive. Over the last few days of researching the subject I've found several things that I need explained, below are those things.

1. It seems that PS2 games can't be played on an external drive but can be on the internal drive, does that still hold up today or can PS2 games now be played on an external drive?

2. There also seems to be two sides of information on formatting an external HDD, some say that you can play games/ISO's just fine off of an NTFS HDD and some say you have to format the HDD to FAT32. I'd like to be able to keep it NTFS so I can play PS3 games (and PS2/PS1 games if they now work externally) but I'm not sure if that works or not.

3. People are also saying that if you format the external drive to FAT32 you can split the larger games up and still play them, then, others say splitting them makes them unplayable. Which is correct?

4. Some people have stated that in order to play games off of an NTFS HDD you have to have a Cobra CFW, if you can play games via an NTFS drive can it also be done with Rebug?

5. Can Multiman create ISO's onto external drives, many users in threads have been saying it can only create an ISO to the internal drive.

6. Can Multiman successfully extract the files from PS1 discs since they are made up of different files? (.ecm, .bin, etc.)

Will have more questions for sure, these are the big ones.

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1. It seems that PS2 games can't be played on an external drive but can be on the internal drive, does that still hold up today or can PS2 games now be played on an external drive?
PS2 games must be Internal for be played. When you try to run a PS2 game webMAN and multiMAN will copy the game to internal.
Not all Ps2 games runs. At least with my PS3.

2. There also seems to be two sides of information on formatting an external HDD, some say that you can play games/ISO's just fine off of an NTFS HDD and some say you have to format the HDD to FAT32. I'd like to be able to keep it NTFS so I can play PS3 games (and PS2/PS1 games if they now work externally) but I'm not sure if that works or not.
PS3 is far my best know system. I meaning, the CFW system i most had playing with and i'm not talking about gaming.

Here is my tip for you.
HDD > External
FAT32 64K Cluster

Game Type : forget about "folder games" best option for playing game it's ".iso". No you didn't read wrong. FAT32 + .iso, the very best!
How? splited .iso

When my home PC i can explain with details and prints.

FAT32 + .iso, will work amazing with webMAN, sMAN or multiMAN with CFW HABIB 4.81

FORGET ABOUT NTFS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT! BELIEVE ME!

3. People are also saying that if you format the external drive to FAT32 you can split the larger games up and still play them, then, others say splitting them makes them unplayable. Which is correct?
FAT32 + ISO (Splited) + webMAN and sMAN

Will work for PS3 ISO GAMES and BLU-RAY .ISO.
For PS2 games 4GB+ you will need split too, but with another tools to webMAN or multiMAN can join files while copy Internal.

5. Can Multiman create ISO's onto external drives, many users in threads have been saying it can only create an ISO to the internal drive.
multiMAN can't creat .iso 4GB+ into external Hard Drive if it's FAT32. I don't think it's has option to split .iso

6. Can Multiman successfully extract the files from PS1 discs since they are made up of different files? (.ecm, .bin, etc.)
webMAN or multiMAN will run PSX games only if it's "bin + .cue"

Well i can give you more details about what i said. Just let me know what you didnt get until now!

TheRenegadist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people are saying that splitting ISO's doesn't work as the PS3 will merge them anyway onto the internal drive or they will not play when split.

And it seems that the best thing to do is get a 1TB drive for PS2, PS1, and PS3 applications/homebrew and get a external drive for PS3 games?

What is the biggest external drive you can get that will work with the PS3 and will any drive work?

Would that be the best way to go about it, an external drive for PS3 games and an internal 1TB for the rest?

Last edited by TheRenegadist,

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Most people are saying that splitting ISO's doesn't work as the PS3 will merge them anyway onto the internal drive or they will not play when split.

And it seems that the best thing to do is get a 1TB drive for PS2, PS1, and PS3 applications/homebrew and get a external drive for PS3 games?

What is the biggest external drive you can get that will work with the PS3 and will any drive work?

Would that be the best way to go about it?

Forget about people saying. What im saying its what i do use everyday.

There are 2 split situation
1. For merging. Used with .pkg and ps2 games.
2. For mouting. Used with PS3 .iso and Bluray .iso

WebMAN has a mouting function. Doesnt mess thing. Mouting and merging are diferrent things.

Like already said. HDD FAT32 + .iso its best and perfect so far. All games will work right from external.

webMAN will mouting a splited .iso will not need for merging internal.

I know what im talking about.

And i know about max HDD support too. This is another complicaded history.

For actual HDD External. PS3 will support only MAX 2Tb.

But there is special case you can use 8Tb or 10TB. I alredy tested 8Tb at my PS3.

Ill help you and ill try to explain what you gonna need.

Last edited by Redirr,

TheRenegadist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying that I can have all my PS3 games on an external HDD, split into multiple parts, and they will play just fine without having them be transferred to the internal drive? People have mentioned that not all PS3 games will play once split up into separate parts.

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, I think the highest an internal can go is 1.5 TB's, not too sure.

Yes....

I have tried a 2TB HDD (internal) on my PS3. It couldn't recognize the drive.
For internal 1.5Tb Seagate far i can get to work with mine.

My PS3 didn't accept my 2Tb Seagate and Samsung.

Today i do use 1Tb Seagate. But back in days i used to use my 1.5Tb Seagate.

Today i use mu 1Tb Seagate becouse its SSHD 8Gb SSD Cache.

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So what's the deal with people mentioning that not all PS3 discs will play once split?
First of all, forget about "people saying"

For starting, what you gonna need.

1. A HDD External "FAT32" 64K Cluster. (up to 2TB) don't botter trying 3TB+
2. A CFW with Cobra 7.50. My favority it's
"4.81 STARBUCKS (+ COBRA 7.50) v1.02 CFW by habib"
3. webMAN Mod installed (Lasted Version)
Right now
webMAN MOD 1.47.05 at github
https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases/download/1.47.05/webMAN_MOD_1.47.05_Updater.pkg

TYPE : After Install webMAN_MOD_1.47.05_Updater.pkg with "*INSTALL PACKAGE FILES" you need to run
webMAN_MOD_1.47.05 from "GAME MENU" in PS3 XMB holding "L1". After that. Your PS3 will restart.
A new option called "MY GAMES" will appear at PS3 XMB MENU "GAMES" if not just restart again your PS3.
There you can run your games without needed for multiMAN!

4. optional you can or not install multiMAN (I only use multiMAN for internal and external Browsing files)
5. PS3 ISO TOOLS 2.2 (google it)
6. External HDD folders. (see folders.jpg file)
folders.JPG

PS3ISO (for .iso or splited .iso)
GAMES (for folder games)
PS2ISO (for PS2 .iso)
PS3 (for CFW intallation or SAVEDATA)
PSPISO (for PSP .iso)
PSXGAMES (for PS1/PSX .bin + .cue)
ROMS (for roms)
BDISO (for BD-R .iso or BD-R 3D .iso)

Converting a "FOLDER GAME" or a ".iSO 4GB+" to a Splited .iso (mouting format)
Open PS3 ISO TOOLS 2.2
ISO TOOLS1.JPG

For "FOLDER GAME" use "Create ISO(s)
For already ".iso game" use "Split ISO(s)"

For "FOLDER GAME" use this settings
isotools2.JPG

I do prefer "use 'makeps3iso" instead "use'genps3iso"
With genps3iso option some games just wont run like Bayonneta and crysys 2 and 3.

TYPE : IF YOU HAVE TEAMVIEWER INSTALLED, JUST CLOSE IT. OR WILL PS3 ISO TOOLS CRASH!

Example :
god of war.JPG

All splited files goes to my folder :
God of War III (Dublado PT) - BCES00510

My folder "God of War III (Dublado PT) - BCES00510" goes to "PS3ISO"

For best cover ever. You can install my Beta Cover pack.
https://mega.nz/#!n9ATCBYI!-N4KsDwwbsufWixKzm0j5EhVcyVilh-GVUmFmNCL3ZE

But it's has only 926 Covers so far becouse it's meet my PS3 collection and games ID. So you can create your own Covers pack!

Last edited by Redirr,

TheRenegadist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why make an external folder for PS2 ISO's when they can't be loaded externally? What are my options with REBUG which is what I'm most likely going with?

aytug25

Trophies
XP
Country
First of all, forget about "people saying"

For starting, what you gonna need.

1. A HDD External "FAT32" 64K Cluster. (up to 2TB) don't botter trying 3TB+
2. A CFW with Cobra 7.50. My favority it's
"4.81 STARBUCKS (+ COBRA 7.50) v1.02 CFW by habib"
3. webMAN Mod installed (Lasted Version)
Right now
webMAN MOD 1.47.05 at github
https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases/download/1.47.05/webMAN_MOD_1.47.05_Updater.pkg

TYPE : After Install webMAN_MOD_1.47.05_Updater.pkg with "*INSTALL PACKAGE FILES" you need to run
webMAN_MOD_1.47.05 from "GAME MENU" in PS3 XMB holding "L1". After that. Your PS3 will restart.
A new option called "MY GAMES" will appear at PS3 XMB MENU "GAMES" if not just restart again your PS3.
There you can run your games without needed for multiMAN!

4. optional you can or not install multiMAN (I only use multiMAN for internal and external Browsing files)
5. PS3 ISO TOOLS 2.2 (google it)
6. External HDD folders. (see folders.jpg file)
View attachment 104245
PS3ISO (for .iso or splited .iso)
GAMES (for folder games)
PS2ISO (for PS2 .iso)
PS3 (for CFW intallation or SAVEDATA)
PSPISO (for PSP .iso)
PSXGAMES (for PS1/PSX .bin + .cue)
ROMS (for roms)
BDISO (for BD-R .iso or BD-R 3D .iso)

Converting a "FOLDER GAME" or a ".iSO 4GB+" to a Splited .iso (mouting format)
Open PS3 ISO TOOLS 2.2
View attachment 104246

For "FOLDER GAME" use "Create ISO(s)
For already ".iso game" use "Split ISO(s)"

For "FOLDER GAME" use this settings
View attachment 104247

I do prefer "use 'makeps3iso" instead "use'genps3iso"
With genps3iso option some games just wont run like Bayonneta and crysys 2 and 3.

TYPE : IF YOU HAVE TEAMVIEWER INSTALLED, JUST CLOSE IT. OR WILL PS3 ISO TOOLS CRASH!

Example :
View attachment 104248

All splited files goes to my folder :
God of War III (Dublado PT) - BCES00510

My folder "God of War III (Dublado PT) - BCES00510" goes to "PS3ISO"

For best cover ever. You can install my Beta Cover pack.
https://mega.nz/#!n9ATCBYI!-N4KsDwwbsufWixKzm0j5EhVcyVilh-GVUmFmNCL3ZE

But it's has only 926 Covers so far becouse it's meet my PS3 collection and games ID. So you can create your own Covers pack!

hello, my ps3 is 4.81.2 rebug 7.52 cobra, i am using 1 tb external fat32 hdd for games and i put another hdd 1 tb ntfs for split files games but sometimes i am getting freeze error and i guess it is because of using ntfs and fat32 hdd same time, i'm not sure about that is the reason or not.
should i convert my iso games to split iso games with fat32 hdd ?
will it work same with webman ?

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why make an external folder for PS2 ISO's when they can't be loaded externally? What are my options with REBUG which is what I'm most likely going with?
For webMAN see it and copy it easy to internal. You copy your PS2 game to PS2ISO folder. Then plug HDD PS3. It will appear at PS2ISO option when you try run webMAN will copy it to internal.

REBUG OR HABIB will works fine. Just need to be with Cobra 7.50+ feature.

Its cobra 7.50 that make webMAN read and mount .iso

hello, my ps3 is 4.81.2 rebug 7.52 cobra, i am using 1 tb external fat32 hdd for games and i put another hdd 1 tb ntfs for split files games but sometimes i am getting freeze error and i guess it is because of using ntfs and fat32 hdd same time, i'm not sure about that is the reason or not.
should i convert my iso games to split iso games with fat32 hdd ?
will it work same with webman ?

Well. I dont like ntfs becouse its has a lot of limitations.

Do split your .iso and use fat32.
If you have a CFW with cobra 7.5+ feature. webMAN will run and mount fine splited. Iso.

I only use ntfs when i want play my bluray movies in BD-R .iso. for gaming best option its splited.

Last edited by Redirr,

aytug25

Trophies
XP
Country
For webMAN see it and copy it easy to internal. You copy your PS2 game to PS2ISO folder. Then plug HDD PS3. It will appear at PS2ISO option when you try run webMAN will copy it to internal.

REBUG OR HABIB will works fine. Just need to be with Cobra 7.50+ feature.

Its cobra 7.50 that make webMAN read and mount .iso

Well. I dont like ntfs becouse its has a lot of limitations.

Do split your .iso and use fat32.
If you have a CFW with cobra 7.5+ feature. webMAN will run and mount fine splited. Iso.

I only use ntfs when i want play my bluray movies in BD-R .iso. for gaming best option its splited.

thanks for all information :)

bosinator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so glad that I found this article. I have been searching the internet for what seems like forever trying to figure this out. Thank you so much for this information.

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. This thread helped me out tremendously. For those of you wondering... why not ntfs? Because the drive needs to be MBR formatted as well as NTFS - and that combo from what I understand limits you to 2TB max on NTFS. Whereas there are some tricks that allow MBR fat 32 to get as high as 16TB partitions. Split isos are ultra easy to make and a small price to pay for larger storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE