Hardware Classic Controller & GC Controller support

chickenlips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First, I ask a theoretical question to all of you:

For any game that supports the Classic Controller, shouldn't it be 100% capable of supporting the GC controller as well?

It basically has the same buttons, right? (except ... the Home button?) So if a game supports classic controller but not GC controller, does that make any sense? For example MegaMan 9, or Samurai Shodown Anthology.

All the buttons on the Classic Controller can be mapped to the GC controller. So why do some games support Classic but not GC? Yes I admit, the feel is a little different, and the cross-hair layout (X, Y, A, B) of the SNES controller is slightly compromised. But I can play the VC Street Fighter II or MegaMan 1-6 with GC controller, and it works just fine.

I chose a GC controller over the classic controller. I like the feel of it a little more, and I thought that compatibility wouldn't be an issue. In theory, it shouldn't, right? But now it turns out that I have to use the Wii-mote for Samurai Shodown and MegaMan 9. I think it's very silly. And I already bought 2 wii-motes, nunchuks, 2 gamecube controllers. I don't want to pay for a classic controller, after all that. These games ought to support GC controllers.

Any game that supports Classic should support GC controller. Do you agree? Am I missing something?

One more question. Is there any sort of patch available to use GC controller for these silly games? (maybe an adapter, but I truly would feel like a heel paying for another controller peripheral)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it is not as simple as you think.

Supporting GC controller is actually more difficult than Classic controller. For Classic controller since it is attached to Wiimote, it is treated more like an addon to it. GC does not attach itself to Wiimote, meaning that new codes must be written to utilize Gamecube features within the Wii.

If you want a GC controller feel then get a Classic Controller PRO.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trumpet: Actually.... no... no you're quite wrong. This is not the same thing as wii functions in GC mode... The GC hardware is fully accessible at all times by the wii and wouldn't require (much) extra programming. The Wii SDK contains all the necessary libraries to easily add different controller mechanisms... wouldn't even take a single programmer an afternoon to get GC controller support up and running.

The real reason is simply because there are millions more wii owners than there ever was GC owners... While it may be a nice feature to have, it could confuse new customers or it could just simply not be stream lined enough (simple is better is the slogan of the wii). Even with that said, a very large chunk of classic controller games DO support GC controllers (Dokapon, Smash brawl, Muramasa: The Demon Blade... just to name the first 3 that game to mind)

(edit) To expand onto my original point.... It doesn't matter whether you have a device hookup to the wiimote or the GC controller point from a programming perspective (beyond setting up the proper libraries, which again are included in the SDK. No game developers ever have to write their own code to handle controller inputs, only how those inputs act with their games
wink.gif
). You still have to have a proper software library for the classic controller just like you would for the GC controller.

chickenlips

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You still have to have a proper software library for the classic controller just like you would for the GC controller.
[/quote]

Yep, I guess that's the bottom line. I am happy with my library - Smash Brothers, Contra Rebirth, Mario Kart, Castlevania Rebirth. I'm happy that many games use the GC controller. Just wish those other few did - Mega Man 9 + 10, Samurai Shodown ... oh well.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk