Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
From what I understand, Steam OS is basically debian with some tweaks and steam pre-installed. So it'll probably take no effort to get it working on other derivatives (ubuntu and mint, mostly).
And thus it wouldn't take all too long for some cleaver guy to come up with the solution to put it almost on anything that contains penguin logos.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And thus it wouldn't take all too long for some cleaver guy to come up with the solution to put it almost on anything that contains penguin logos.
Erm...that's like saying it would take a clever guy to make a windows 95 game working on windows 7.
Granted, the linux distributions vary more than the windows'es, but I bet it'll be mostly getting your hardware recognized and having the correct packages for steam.

I may be missing some fine lines, but I get the idea that some think that steamOS will get some exclusive games over other linux'es, and I don't believe that (besides...it'll be pretty tough, considering the open source nature of most components).

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
Erm...that's like saying it would take a clever guy to make a windows 95 game working on windows 7.
Granted, the linux distributions vary more than the windows'es, but I bet it'll be mostly getting your hardware recognized and having the correct packages for steam.

I may be missing some fine lines, but I get the idea that some think that steamOS will get some exclusive games over other linux'es, and I don't believe that (besides...it'll be pretty tough, considering the open source nature of most components).
No, thats making a program for a stone age computer work on a modern day computer (wich gives a lot of trouble if I take what I read on forums serious).
I believe that making it run on a whole bunch of differant versions of Linux would be easier because (please correct if wrong) they all run on exactly the same basis.
I don't actually see the point of a SteamOS, if one Linux distro can do it then it can be implemented in all the other ones too.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For a tech-savvy user, there probably won't be much of a point to switch to steamOS, especially if you already have a decent PC with steam (either windows or linux). It's a different situation for those steam machines, though. Since the hardware producers obviously have to ship it with an operating system, the question is which one. Sure, valve could cook up a debian fork with some extra driver tweaks and a different default interface...but from there, why not go a tiny bit further and call it your own OS?

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i had this experience with anno 2070.
when a game shifts from medieval to futuristic, i feel the 'taste' and beauty of the game is kinda dissipated. There are so many things to anticipate when you have a 1700s environment or earlier v a time that is just imagined and not seen.

the simplicity of the tech is more interesting than the futuristic components coming thereof like flying skyscrapers, hovercrafts and ships, energy reactors etc.

I am not sure if moving immediately to a futuristic scale would attract or rather repel players.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
For a tech-savvy user, there probably won't be much of a point to switch to steamOS, especially if you already have a decent PC with steam (either windows or linux). It's a different situation for those steam machines, though. Since the hardware producers obviously have to ship it with an operating system, the question is which one. Sure, valve could cook up a debian fork with some extra driver tweaks and a different default interface...but from there, why not go a tiny bit further and call it your own OS?
Yeah, I guess they need to leave their piss-mark on it and rub it in people's faces...
Politics and companies, ugh!

I am not sure if moving immediately to a futuristic scale would attract or rather repel players.
One of the reasons I like SPORE so much (besides it being the only one of its kind out there; SPORE is very lacking).
As much as I like sci-fi, it would be totally awesome to get there the long way round by starting at the stone-age.
But everything seems to be either history or future, but never one that flows to the other.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
well not that much but it went future-like on earth
Well thats a start at least.
So was SPORE. Sure Spore wasn't/isn't as great as many hoped but why not go further with something like that? Improve the mistakes it made?
Not just go like "ah well, that was that then" and forge about it.
I love sci-fi rts/tbs but when it comes down to it, whats the differance to any "normal" rts/tbs that focuses on the middle ages or wwi/wwii?
The only differance I see is instead of a catapult there's the panzier, instead of the panzier you have the plasma-tank. The only way you can make the star-trooper with its proton rifle feel advanced like it should be would be to compair it to a muskat-man in the same game.

Reactions: shakirmoledina

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I recall a few scenarios over the various games that start with that very scenario -- they played much the same but winning the space race was now not an option.

Mmm, I think they had it in Civilization Revolution (only played the DS version though). This time around, it's actually properly sci-fi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ