OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good day everyone,

I've decided to put the patch online with a Dropbox direct download link, considering things are moving fast on Twitter, and that I want to communicate about this release before things go south (if they ever do).

Should Romhacking decide to accept the patch on next week, I'll just update the link to redirect people to Romhacking instead of Dropbox.

If it happens and you already have downloaded the patch, I'd really much appreciate reviews, since I won't be able to appreciate the patch's popularity using the counter (it doesn't work on Romhacking with external download links).

Anyway, the link is available in the Youtube description of the trailer, which is now on 1st page of this thread: kind of an unapologetic way of making people watch the vid... :blush:

Thank you everyone for your messages and patience: this year has been a long run, and I can only hope the patch will meet your expectations!

Retroshaffer

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Screenshot (13).png

Post automatically merged:

is this ok?

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good day everyone,

I've decided to put the patch online with a Dropbox direct download link, considering things are moving fast on Twitter, and that I want to communicate about this release before things go south (if they ever do).

Should Romhacking decide to accept the patch on next week, I'll just update the link to redirect people to Romhacking instead of Dropbox.

If it happens and you already have downloaded the patch, I'd really much appreciate reviews, since I won't be able to appreciate the patch's popularity using the counter (it doesn't work on Romhacking with external download links).

Anyway, the link is available in the Youtube description of the trailer, which is now on 1st page of this thread: kind of an unapologetic way of making people watch the vid... :blush:

Thank you everyone for your messages and patience: this year has been a long run, and I can only hope the patch will meet your expectations!
As the one who begged for it more than a year ago: Merci beaucoup!

Reactions: Brand Newman

Mikef1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works great!! Like the father says in the game, So COOOOL! :bow:

I took a short-cut in copying your patch files.
Wit.exe can dump wbfs files, so I didn't need to convert to ISO first.
I used an older version v2.29a r5186 for wit.exe

Now back to the game.... Thank-you!!!!
Michael

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your work on this, I can't wait to play it once my retail copy comes in!
I'll be letting everyone know how it goes with playing this as well on Wii U through vWii too since it seems to be an issue only I have to deal with it seems haha, though I don't mind doing this while finding a way to fix my original Wii. (Though hopefully it works through vWii.)

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Someone at Romhacking finally took the time to tell me what was "wrong". Below is their answer:
"The problem with your submission is that it is not a patch to be applied to a ROM image. It contain several instances of copyrighted materials. You submission will continue to be rejected until you present us with a patch file that includes ONLY your changes."
But what if literally to do it so?
There are 44 files in the patch. I mean the CHIBI_eng folder.
For each file you do something like "xdelta3.exe -e -s JAPfile ENGfile filename.DIFF"
The result is a 44 files (filename.DIFF) of a smaller size, they only have a difference (i.e., it’s your changes (as in Romhacking's request))
Size will be ~ 5Mb (i've checked).
(You can write windows portable batch script, with 44 lines like "xdelta3.exe -d -s JAPfile filename.DIFF ENGfile"
Here you'll have to figure out how to place files for processing, temp folders, etc. But I don't think it's necessary. Also, not everyone uses windows.)
You do not add anything else to the archive, no utilities, programs. Nothing.
Only read.me file. Pure .txt with basic instructions and info.
And in that read.me file you also post link to where the full archive can be obtained.
Kinda like so.

Update: just like here (for example): https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6717/

Last edited by r1vver,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, XDelta requires you to have the exact same file as everyone else and modifies your files. A riivolution file is the best (even works with Dolphin now), it allows you to keep your original game copy pristine. The fact Romhacking is pushing back against it with the release (without any concrete justification) is frustrating.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, XDelta requires you to have the exact same file as everyone else and modifies your files. A riivolution file is the best (even works with Dolphin now), it allows you to keep your original game copy pristine. The fact Romhacking is pushing back against it with the release (without any concrete justification) is frustrating.
Would Riivolution patches not be the like, definitive way then to ensure no copyrighted material other than the mod/translation person/teams content is uploaded?

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would Riivolution patches not be the like, definitive way then to ensure no copyrighted material other than the mod/translation person/teams content is uploaded?
I'm not an expert here but Riivolution patches are not deltas but actually the full file to be modified.

So Riivolution files are potentially worse in that they could include copyrighted material if the new file's content isn't completely owned by the mod creator.

Last edited by wiiAdventurer,

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not an expert here but Riivolution patches are not deltas but actually the full file to be modified.

So Riivolution files are potentially worse in that they could include copyrighted material if the new file's content isn't completely owned by the mod creator.
Hmm, I don't quite get the difference though. wouldnt the delta patch have the files too?

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't quite get the difference though. wouldnt the delta patch have the files too?
Sorry, I don't want to derail Brand's topic any more. Brand will decide on how they want to distribute the content. If you're curious about the technical details, I'm sure you can find more details online. Both xdelta and Riivolution are fairly well documented.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to say, great work on the trailer Brand and congrats on another translation done. Your initial screenshot on your translations video is getting a little crowded now :lol:

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good evening everyone,

Sorry I went a little bit silent the last few days, but I wanted to know whether Romhacking would accept my patch or not before I decided what my next move would be.

Good news, the direct download link got accepted, and the patch is available at this address!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6722/

(I updated the link in the video description on Youtube.)

If you've already downloaded it, don't bother doing it again, as it ultimately points to the same dropbox file.

But I would appreciate a positive review if you don't mind... :P

It seems that the download counter is working, which is weird (maybe the site got updated?), but that would be good news, as I believe people would get suspicious with a patch that registers zero download (hence me asking for reviews).

Anyway, we don't have to debate about making a bunch of xdelta files and/or providing the riivolution patch somewhere else anymore, which is good, and cuts an extra step for people who just want to play their retail disc on a modded Wii.

Thank you very much for being the firsts to download my patch, I remain at your disposal if you meet any issue, and please come and visit this thread sometimes!

Yours truly.

UPDATE : apparently the patch is hosted on Romhacking after all? Ah, all's end that ends well!

Last edited by Brand Newman,

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, thank you for your work, and I'm glad it got accepted to romhacking!

Edit: @Brand Newman YO that screenshot on Romhacking with "spilling the tea"... I LOVE YOU JUST FOR THAT ALONE. Hahahah
No spoilers, but, are there more updated like memes like that in it?! Because AHHHH (idunno why this makkes me happy, i guess the newer translation is just making me feel like THIS IS A NEW GAME!)

Last edited by RetroNerdGamer,

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
YO that screenshot on Romhacking with "spilling the tea"... I LOVE YOU JUST FOR THAT ALONE. Hahahah
No spoilers, but, are there more updated like memes like that in it?! Because AHHHH (idunno why this makkes me happy, i guess the newer translation is just making me feel like THIS IS A NEW GAME!)
Thanks, that's one of the very rare occasions where I actually added some humor of mine to the original dialog (she was merely saying that tea tasted better when you had company in Japanese, which international version translated into "tea always tastes better when you have someone to talk to.")

I don't know if it's meme material, but I also added a reference to "A streetcar named Desire" with Dinah's dialog (international version made her an old south belle instead of a "Oba-Chan", which I found very clever) : if you agree to do her a favor, she says "Always rely on the kindness of strangers", instead of just rejoicing.

The final example I can think of is the ladder Utilibot, who Telly calls a "fine lad(der)" in my translation. But that's actually very close to the Japanese version, which calls him "child", and "Mr Upper".

There might be other little things, but overall, I tried to stay very faithful, except for the names of the characters, for which I kept the international version because they were already known under them.

• Love
Reactions: ChibiMofo

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that's one of the very rare occasions where I actually added some humor of mine to the original dialog (she was merely saying that tea tasted better when you had company in Japanese, which international version translated into "tea always tastes better when you have someone to talk to.")

I don't know if it's meme material, but I also added a reference to "A streetcar named Desire" with Dinah's dialog (international version made her an old south belle instead of a "Oba-Chan", which I found very clever) : if you agree to do her a favor, she says "Always rely on the kindness of strangers", instead of just rejoicing.

The final example I can think of is the ladder Utilibot, who Telly calls a "fine lad(der)" in my translation. But that's actually very close to the Japanese version, which calls him "child", and "Mr Upper".

There might be other little things, but overall, I tried to stay very faithful, except for the names of the characters, for which I kept the international version because they were already known under them.
I'll admit, I really hope nothing was literally translated as a result of "staying faithful".

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Just wanted to note, Mr. Newman that your patch let's me exit to Wii Menu from the Home Menu. I don't know why it bugged out for you but I figured I'd note that it works just fine!

Mikef1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to thank Brand Newman for an excellent translation.
I've seen Telly's concert and the credits; now I'm collecting the lego blocks and frog rings again... Everything's been in English so far, except the credit names.
I guess the game is done when all stickers are received??
Again great work,
Mike F

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste