Changing MAC address?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago, I realise I could change my IP address by turning on and turning off my modem and I could go back on it without any problem. Sadly, I said wrong words to site I went to and instead of receiving a normal IP ban, I got a MAC ban which meant that although I can't go on with my laptop, I can still go on my desktop PC.

This got me wondering about MAC addresses in general and I was wondering if I tried to change it, is there a specific pattern it has to be in? I did try out a MAC changing program but when it says, "what would you like to change it to" I got stumped at that point.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Use a software called a-mac which changes the MAC of the NIC card on your computer. If that doesn't work, then they blocked the MAC address of your router, which can not be changed unless you have your own knowledge in that area, and your ISP agrees that you changed the MAC address of that particular router.

Here is the link:
http://amac.paqtool.com/

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Westside said:
Use a software called a-mac which changes the MAC of the NIC card on your computer. If that doesn't work, then they blocked the MAC address of your router, which can not be changed unless you have your own knowledge in that area, and your ISP agrees that you changed the MAC address of that particular router.

Here is the link:
Sorry. I should've mentioned that was the exact program I was using to change the MAC address. Hence why I'm asking if there is a specific format to the MAC address I can change to or can I bash in any old number and it'll work?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Harsky said:
Westside said:

Here is the link:
Sorry. I should've mentioned that was the exact program I was using to change the MAC address. Hence why I'm asking if there is a specific format to the MAC address I can change to or can I bash in any old number and it'll work?
MAC address is in Hexidecimal, and yes, you can bash in any old number and it will work. However, there is a chance that you may end up with the same MAC as someone else across the planet.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Harsky said:
Hmm. I typed in any random number and it seems to not connect at all.
Well, it could be your ISP then. Your ISP could be restricting your MAC address to use only the one that is provided by the manufacturer.
To be honest... how did they ban a mac address? I must say that I am impressed...

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Westside said:
Harsky said:
Hmm. I typed in any random number and it seems to not connect at all.
Well, it could be your ISP then. Your ISP could be restricting your MAC address to use only the one that is provided by the manufacturer.
To be honest... how did they ban a mac address? I must say that I am impressed...
Maybe so but somehow, I can get past the ban if I use the browser on my Wii. It's just my laptop which seems to not able to get past the ban. I was giving serious consideration to seeing if I can find a cheap wifi card and seeing what that will do then I learnt, "is it really that much bother for a website ban?"

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Chances are, they banned the MAC address of the modem provided to you by your ISP. The only way to change that would be to swap the modem for a new one. Either way, all of this is way too far to go for a ban from a website.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JKR Firefox said:
Chances are, they banned the MAC address of the modem provided to you by your ISP. The only way to change that would be to swap the modem for a new one. Either way, all of this is way too far to go for a ban from a website.
I got lucky since my next door neighbor has the same exact wireless modem as me which I helped him set up. It's a netgear and he kindly agreed to let me borrow it to test out if I can connect to it to bypass the ban.

Nope. Still no dice.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Harsky said:
JKR Firefox said:
I got lucky since my next door neighbor has the same exact wireless modem as me which I helped him set up. It's a netgear and he kindly agreed to let me borrow it to test out if I can connect to it to bypass the ban.

Nope. Still no dice.
Then it is your NIC adapter, buy a new one. It's about $5 at a local computer liquidation store here, which is about 2.5 pounds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y