Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey just a quick question...In the compat file it shows Pilot Wings as a green title. I have noticed a few hitches with this game. One being that the sound is a bit off, and there are a few bugs with shadows and objects etc. In the first jetpack level you can see alot of graphical issues happening. Just curious if this is something that is wrong with the rom or on my end in some way? Or if anyone else has noticed this as well. Also, thanks so much for this amazing software!
It's hit and miss on the roms working without hitches. A lot of them work very decently well though.
When I tried Diddy Kong Racing I had tons of graphical issues xD

(late response i guess :P)

Loker0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hello, im new in this. I saw that there is a list of metapacks, but for the master quest debug rom is missing. How can I create my own metapack?

fromcaneof

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@DarkAkuma I am trying to install a rom hack of Paper Mario through CaVE but I don't have a .dtz for it. On your website in the post "Release: CaVE Database Manager v1.3" it was mentioned that one of the first .dtz meta packs made for the Switch Online N64 was for Paper Mario, but at this point it is no longer linked on the compatibility spreadsheet (presumably because Paper Mario is now a built in game in the expansion pack). Is it possible I can still access that .dtz somehow? It's possible this is a waste of time because I would need a new .dtz for a romhack anyway, so I'm hoping that isn't the case! if it is, then sorry for yet another question requesting .dtz files from someone who doesn't understand .dtz files.

Reactions: nWo

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma I am trying to install a rom hack of Paper Mario through CaVE but I don't have a .dtz for it. On your website in the post "Release: CaVE Database Manager v1.3" it was mentioned that one of the first .dtz meta packs made for the Switch Online N64 was for Paper Mario, but at this point it is no longer linked on the compatibility spreadsheet (presumably because Paper Mario is now a built in game in the expansion pack). Is it possible I can still access that .dtz somehow? It's possible this is a waste of time because I would need a new .dtz for a romhack anyway, so I'm hoping that isn't the case! if it is, then sorry for yet another question requesting .dtz files from someone who doesn't understand .dtz files.

You would have had to extract the dtz yourself. But I uploaded a dtz to the sheet. Its based off the official one.

I'm willing to do that here and there based on individual requests, for that exact reason.

That said... it might be a waste of time. I have no clue how much a unknown ROM hack may change the game. The idle addresses may be different. Some setting may or may not be needed. I included the uncompiled lua script too, which is likely base ROM specific. But that would be up to users to edit.

Reactions: nWo

fromcaneof

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You would have had to extract the dtz yourself. But I uploaded a dtz to the sheet. Its based off the official one.

I'm willing to do that here and there based on individual requests, for that exact reason.

That said... it might be a waste of time. I have no clue how much a unknown ROM hack may change the game. The idle addresses may be different. Some setting may or may not be needed. I included the uncompiled lua script too, which is likely base ROM specific. But that would be up to users to edit.
I played through a good chunk of the first chapter and it seems to work perfectly. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wanted to share a few issues I had with the cave manager.

I updated my n64 database with the new manager, and when I tried to add the stock game for Wave Race 64 it crashed the program. The others worked.

Second issue is that Diddy Kong Racing doesn't show up in the program. It still shows on the switch, but I wanted to remove it but it just doesn't show up to be removed.

And last thing is just the same as before where if I remove too many games the UI doesn't line up correctly when loading on the switch, not showing the games, or this time it showed half of them.

Other than that was able to make it work ok. But thought to mention those.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi. I wanto to use some DTZ's from example, from Banjo Kazooie, Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64, to name a few, to use with a couple of pretty good and classic rom hacks. Thing is, I don't know how to extract them or what to do about that.

Also, I still pretty darn want to be able to play the CastleVania games. I would love to see some "second wind" to this incredible app, that has already gave me so many hours of fun and happy times remembering my childhood. Thank you.

Tibolegends

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Quite disappointed after Nintendo did not announce BT and DK64 yesterday, I am amazed to discover this tool. That sounds amazing, I'll set it up later today. Thanks a lot for sharing that with us !

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my n64 database with the new manager, and when I tried to add the stock game for Wave Race 64 it crashed the program. The others worked.

I probably fixed that in the Beta build. I have been putting off updating the public Release build, as feedback here tends to be terrible and demotivating. I tend not to even check this thread regularly anymore. I know I have addressed issues with each NSO update since the last public release. But felt that there were no major issues requiring an immediate update.

I guess I'll just have to get around to releasing v1.4.1 soon. It's a big update! One of those that... if/when almost nobody seems to care when it is posted... will kind of sour the project for me. Thats what happened with CaVE v1.2 back in 2020. So to get ahead of it, I've been trying to shift focus to the beta where feedback is... slightly better.

Second issue is that Diddy Kong Racing doesn't show up in the program. It still shows on the switch, but I wanted to remove it but it just doesn't show up to be removed.

And last thing is just the same as before where if I remove too many games the UI doesn't line up correctly when loading on the switch, not showing the games, or this time it showed half of them.

Those... are new issues I have never heard of before. Thus, im guessing they are related. And probably something like being a result of manually editing the lclassics.titlesdb files.

Quite disappointed after Nintendo did not announce BT and DK64 yesterday, I am amazed to discover this tool. That sounds amazing, I'll set it up later today. Thanks a lot for sharing that with us !

Why would they? Those would be massively overshadowed by Goldeneye. Nintendo has adopted a slow release strategy. 1 N64 game a month or so. And they are working through the low-effort WiiU release catalog first.

---

Anyway. For everyone else... While I have not been active here lately. I have still be working on CaVE. I just shifted focus to the private Beta build. Going forward, that will be my focus, and I will only update the Release build if there is a major issue that needs addressing.

That said, yea. Things are nearing a point where I will need to post the next Release version here soon. And until then, I won't be posting the database update for the recent NSO Gen/MD v2.3. Doing so would just lead to people reporting some obvious issues I fixed. Nothing major still, but enough.

The brief rundown for the next CaVE release (v1.4.1) is:
  • Hovercraft support (Self contained apps using Super Mario 3D All-stars SM64 emu).
  • ZebraEngine support (Self contained apps using the Saturn Emu from a few games).
  • Feature to automatically download and install the update json's.
  • Of course, all the NSO updates since the last Release version will be included by default.
  • And a ton of fixes to various things.
When it is posted... please check it out and respond! It helps more than you would think at staying interested in working on this.

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I probably fixed that in the Beta build. I have been putting off updating the public Release build, as feedback here tends to be terrible and demotivating. I tend not to even check this thread regularly anymore. I know I have addressed issues with each NSO update since the last public release. But felt that there were no major issues requiring an immediate update.

I guess I'll just have to get around to releasing v1.4.1 soon. It's a big update! One of those that... if/when almost nobody seems to care when it is posted... will kind of sour the project for me. Thats what happened with CaVE v1.2 back in 2020. So to get ahead of it, I've been trying to shift focus to the beta where feedback is... slightly better.

Those... are new issues I have never heard of before. Thus, im guessing they are related. And probably something like being a result of manually editing the lclassics.titlesdb files.

Why would they? Those would be massively overshadowed by Goldeneye. Nintendo has adopted a slow release strategy. 1 N64 game a month or so. And they are working through the low-effort WiiU release catalog first.

---

Anyway. For everyone else... While I have not been active here lately. I have still be working on CaVE. I just shifted focus to the private Beta build. Going forward, that will be my focus, and I will only update the Release build if there is a major issue that needs addressing.

That said, yea. Things are nearing a point where I will need to post the next Release version here soon. And until then, I won't be posting the database update for the recent NSO Gen/MD v2.3. Doing so would just lead to people reporting some obvious issues I fixed. Nothing major still, but enough.

The brief rundown for the next CaVE release (v1.4.1) is:
  • Hovercraft support (Self contained apps using Super Mario 3D All-stars SM64 emu).
  • ZebraEngine support (Self contained apps using the Saturn Emu from a few games).
  • Feature to automatically download and install the update json's.
  • Of course, all the NSO updates since the last Release version will be included by default.
  • And a ton of fixes to various things.
When it is posted... please check it out and respond! It helps more than you would think at staying interested in working on this.

I wanna say I appreciate very much your efforts.
The issues I found aren't a huge problem since I can just leave the games in the database and nevermind those. I just thought I'd mention the ones I noticed. I didn't edit any files so I don't know, I pretty much just went to the new version of cave and updated the database and i think that's it.

I'll be good with what i have for now so it's all good.

Previous News (09-20-22)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CaVE Database Manager has been updated to v1.4.1.0!

You can find it, the release post, and the change log over on my website like normal.

The brief rundown is... Hovercraft (The Super Mario 3D All-stars N64 emu), and ZebraEngine (SEGA Saturn Tribute emu) support. The latest NSO databases included by default. And a automatic update feature, to automatically download and install future NSO database updates.

---

This update is one I have been working on, on and off for a while. The bulk of it has been done for a couple months now. I was just giving it time to be tested. Sadly, I only had a handful of people test things. So I can't say how confident I am in there being no issues.

I was also slow to release it because I shifted to a Beta release focus. That being for me, where I can release smaller updates more often, and get better feedback. As I mentioned... In 2020 I learned that when I put a bit of effort into this at the wrong times, it can be demotivating to not see much of a response. Generally the extent of a response here consists of clicking the like button, and that's it. If even that...

I did switch to the mentality of making this for myself more last year, which does help. And for that I wouldn't completely abandon this or anything. I enjoyed working on this update... for myself. But I could do that only in my Discord and be happy. Thats why my focus has been there. For me to keep bothering to post here, or care about the public release, I do still require support here too. So please, speak up when you like something! I appreciate it, and it helps!

Anyway. Yea. Hovercraft and ZebraEngine support.

Those made sense after Hiyoko and Sloop. And I tried real hard to make them so good and easy to use that there no point using other options like manual setups or clunky batch scripts. Like Hiyoko/Sloop, they use a simple strait forward Wizard style setup, that anyone with any computer experience should understand.

Hovercraft setup uses DTZs, even though it technically does not support DTZs since that format was created after SM3DAS. This is just to make things simple and seemless with the current NSO-N64 compatibility list. Bot v1.0.0, and v1.1.1 are supported. v1.1.1 is recommended for the better button mapping options.

ZebraEngine supports either of the original 3 titles, or the 3in1 package. But still outputs a single app NSP. It does not support the update or Layer Section/Galactic Attack, as I had no luck decrypting the files.

With these done... I might consider other things. Like Mega Man Battle Fighters for NGP emulation... but that would take some research work first.

War Destroyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often, after updating something on my switch, my NES/SNES online just freezes at start up or freezes when I try to load a game.
I have custom games in both.

Does the atmos firmware, system firmware, and database version need to be in a perfect alignment for this to work? If so, what needs to be adjusted to make my current build work?

Currently on Switch fw 14.1.1 atmos 1.3.2, with latest databases

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does anyone know how to fix the issue where Injected SNES games just flash and blink but don't actually start. All the games I injected have this issue (none of the stock ones do though) and I did enable the SNES Online Full Unlock patch.

SNES-Fan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sound
Does anyone know how to fix the issue where Injected SNES games just flash and blink but don't actually start. All the games I injected have this issue (none of the stock ones do though) and I did enable the SNES Online Full Unlock patch.
Sounds like full unlock not working.
Perhaps wrong location or wrong version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy."...