Capcom for sale

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is funny to do it from time to time. It is usually only when people get defensive when people suggest the N64 might have been a failure or we get threads like "OMG only 7/10 for [less than great handheld entry in a less popular Nintendo series that had a good game on the NES/SNES]" that it gets ugly.

Few would argue that Nintendo did not make good games at one point in time, or at least did not provide an environment in which good games could happen and there may even still be lessons to learn from that era (not many as game design is rapidly evolving into something respectable but hey). Being fans of that is fine, it is the full nostalgia goggles (including nostalgia for an age that never existed*) bit that grates.

*other than the N64 my favourite is when people try to claim third parties are not needed, because that basically never happened (certainly not on the NES, SNES, GBA or DS, not even really on the GB/GBC) and in this multimillion selling world that could ever happen again.

The N64 didn't really have that great of third party support either.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The N64 didn't really have that great of third party support either.

Indeed it did not and if it was not implied in that then hopefully it could have been inferred; lack of third parties and/or the exodus to the PS1 being one of the main reasons it failed (or at the very least cost Nintendo its industry leading position and that is as good as failing).

Reactions: Foxi4

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would hate it if Nintendo took over Capcom - the company has many mature IP's like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry etc. which would fall into the realm of obscurity or misuse with Nintendo's PC-friendly management looming over the developers.

Yes, because Monolithsoft has clearly suffered under Nintendo's heavy hand.

And has it occurred to you that they wouldn't buy CAPCOM unless it meant exploiting those franchises properly? CAPCOM has a billion-dollar market cap--they would not buy them and then bury or minimize the only reason you'd actually buy them, which would be the 'mature' titles they possess, i.e. ain't nobody buying CAPCOM for hundreds of millions to get Megaman and then jettisoning RE and co. in the process.

Furthermore, considering Nintendo's lack of bandwidth to pursue such games in-house, CAPCOM is a much more sensical buy than it would be for MS or Sony, who both have such games in *droves* and would stand to gain far less in the transaction than Nintendo would.

Reactions: chavosaur

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If only game retailers felt that way.
Around here, provided you have the parent's permission, you can purchase any video game, even if you're a minor. I think that's the way it should be. The only reason why stores can't sell "mature" games to minors is that the clerk has to be sure the parent is okay with it.
Yes, because Monolithsoft has clearly suffered under Nintendo's heavy hand.

And has it occurred to you that they wouldn't buy CAPCOM unless it meant exploiting those franchises properly? CAPCOM has a billion-dollar market cap--they would not buy them and then bury or minimize the only reason you'd actually buy them, which would be the 'mature' titles they possess, i.e. ain't nobody buying CAPCOM for hundreds of millions to get Megaman and then jettisoning RE and co. in the process.

Furthermore, considering Nintendo's lack of bandwidth to pursue such games in-house, CAPCOM is a much more sensical buy than it would be for MS or Sony, who both have such games in *droves* and would stand to gain far less in the transaction than Nintendo would.
When was the last time you've played a good Camelot game? Do people even remember that Camelot is a developer? They used to make Shining Force games on an almost yearly basis, guess how many Shining Force games they made since they were acquired by Nintendo? Provided anyone even remembers what Shining Force was.

Acquisition of a company doesn't mean that the IP's will be "exploited" by proxy - often times there are long-term license agreements that prevent that from happening. It's quite a complicated matter, which is why it would be best if Capcom remained a third-party developer.

Reactions: Dark S.
D

Dork

Around here, provided you have the parent's permission, you can purchase any video game, even if you're a minor. I think that's the way it should be. The only reason why stores can't sell "mature" games to minors is that the clerk has to be sure the parent is okay with it.
It's annoying in U.S. territories as they are always asking for ID. Even if you clearly are over 18 they won't sell you the game unless you can prove it. It's a pain in the ass, I wish they would just leave it to parents. Not that I care that much anymore since I just buy shit online, the only reason I go to Gamestop is to get a steam giftcard.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did everyone completely forget that Resident Evil revelations was originally a 3DS exclusive? And Arguably one of the best Resident Evils we've had in a long time in the franchise, and Nintendo has almost no hand in censorship or making the title lackluster. The dialogue was as cheesy and ridiculous as ever, the deaths were still graphic and the horror was not worried down by any means.

I get having a shitfest with Nintendo is entertaining at times, and believe me I'm my one to play defense here, as I strongly side that Sega would be a great purchaser of te company so I can enjoy their games on all platforms. But do we really have to nitpick so hard that Nintendo would bring the games down so much?

They obviously knew resident evil was a fan favorite and secured it as a game for their handheld before it went multi platform so they know fans love the games. They obviously know fans have a glorious love of Megaman hence his inclusion in Smash bros, and if anything with Capcom under Nintendo and Nintendo's strong love of games for a younger audience that aren't just horror and boobs galore, Megaman could see a glorious return under them.

Not to mention the great success Monster Hunter has had on BOTH Sony and Nintendo consoles, securing MH is securing decent sales. Add in the above, and it would be a very nice acquisition. Nintendo isn't going to Kill Capcom. I feel like they could really help some dead Capcom titles flourish, and push further other franchises that already exist.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Nintendo did this right it could actually work ( not that I believe they will buy CAPCOM ). Think about it : they could keep some franchises exclusive , like Monster Hunter , Ace Attorney, revived MegaMan - that would attract the fans to their platforms BUT i think some of the franchises should stay multiplatform , and Nintendo should just make sure the games are of sufficient quality , f.e Street Fighter, Devil May Cry or Resident Evil. This way Nintendo could have games they want exclusive on their consoles and at the same time have a source of additional income from multiplatform releases. Multiplatform for some of those games that would also be released on Nintendo consoles would make multiplayer experience better, as there's a lot of players to play with. And let's not forget that there's indeed wider mature audience on MS & Sony's platforms - bigger install base for mature games.
I don't have anything against CAPCOM being bought by for instance SEGA - some of CAPCOM's games really should stay multiplatform.
Of course it's not going to happen, but one may dream...

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah.....here's hoping that a console manufacturer doesn't buy them. I'm all for bringing back Mega Man, and I think a Retro made Mega Man would be great (or a Japan Studio's made Monster Hunter, for that matter), but that doesn't mean that it'll happen if Capcom is bought by Nintendo or Sony, respectively. Not only that, but titles like Street Fighter and the V.S series staying locked to a single console? That'd suck hard core. Here's to hoping that, if they do get bought, they get purchased by a neutral third party.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So...

Resident Evil: Oculus Edition? :yay:

First person resident evil....

*has flashbacks to gun survivor*

Is this because I reminded you of zip drives the other month?

securing Monster Hunter is securing decent sales.
Maybe in Japan.

As for Resident Evil avoiding the censor's pen I dare say one instance does not a pattern make, not to mention extremes (as much as RE counts as extreme anyway) might not be the best case study. I am with the others on the "did it hurt the game?" front mind you, though some of the SNES/NES era stuff seems pretty quaint nowadays

Reactions: chavosaur

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
....you did it again! :angry:

We appear to be at a junction then. On the one hand we can say we both caused some measure of hurt and carry on with life, on the other we can go nuclear.

Granted at some level I actually liked Gun Survivor, in some ways the PS1 was probably my NES despite my owning a NES when current.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We appear to be at a junction then. On the one hand we can say we both caused some measure of hurt and carry on with life, on the other we can go nuclear.
WZXQJCy.jpg

Magneto-optical Drive. Now hit me with your best shot, buster! ;O;
Granted at some level I actually liked Gun Survivor, in some ways the PS1 was probably my NES despite my owning a NES when current.
Survivor was... pretty funny. They tried to make it "scary" like Resident Evil, but ended up with something more along the humorous lines of The House of the Dead - unintentionally, of course. Never had the time to play the PS2 games though - I'll have to give them a crack as I've heard they're better than the PS1 original. :)

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a buyout by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft would be bad. Sony would take away some of the support that nintendo so desperately needs from some of capcoms games, microsoft has no handheld and their lack of focus on the Japanese game market would mean then end of numerous franchises, And nintendo could potentially end some franchises that didn't match their target demographic or change them. If one of the three had to buy them I'd personally prefer Sony or Nintendo, but I think a strong third party company would be the best option since then the titles could stay matched with the platforms they currently are available on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC