Hacking Can you put the rom files in the external harddrive?

deltax5

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to know if you can load the roms from the harddrive. I only got a 2gb sd Thats what I was told was the limit and a 1tb external to work with. . What emulators allow this and what can't. Thanks.

Last edited by deltax5,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you really talk about ROMs, the games for emulators, then yes, no problem using external HDD.
you can go a lot more than 1TB, some users have up to 4TB drives, which is really unnecessary in my opinion.
1TB is more than enough if you only want some emulator's ROMs.
all emulators are compatible with FAT32 partition, some are even compatible with NTFS. But I'd suggest using FAT32 to get the best compatibility with ALL existing homebrew.

If you talk about playing ISO (disc dump, not cartridge dump) files from USB, that's possible too. for wii games, gamecube games, and even PSX and other emulators.

Last edited by Cyan,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
. I only got a 2gb sd Thats what I was told was the limit
it was in the past.. in exploiting the console it is adviced to use a NON HC (2gb and less) card for best results.
you can use SD HC card, i use a 4gb one myself, but people had even put 32GB
however i am not sure if the wii is compatible with SDXC (64gb and above)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it was in the past.. in exploiting the console it is adviced to use a NON HC (2gb and less) card for best results.
you can use SD HC card, i use a 4gb one myself, but people had even put 32GB
however i am not sure if the wii is compatible with SDXC (64gb and above)
First, the reason for using a "2 GB or less" card is that not every IOS supports SDHC (4 and 8 GB non-HC cards work if they have less than 2 GB free), but with a fully updated 4.3 letterbomb (IOS80) being recommended and HBC standardizing on 58, it shouldn't be a problem with any modern homebrew

SDXC should work fine (if reformatted to FAT32), the difference from HC and XC is almost nonexisting unlike the one between normal and HC!

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, the reason for using a "2 GB or less" card is that not every IOS supports SDHC (4 and 8 GB non-HC cards work if they have less than 2 GB free), but with a fully updated 4.3 letterbomb (IOS80) being recommended and HBC standardizing on 58, it shouldn't be a problem with any modern homebrew

SDXC should work fine (if reformatted to FAT32), the difference from HC and XC is almost nonexisting unlike the one between normal and HC!

Yes after modding SDXC cards worked for me without issue. I'm using a PNY 256GB https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF90EZM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Also, while it might be overkill, I'm using an 8TB WD HDD. If you go that route this post of mine from a while ago will save you some time and hassle:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1132#post-6662953

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it pisses me off