Gaming Can You COPY Save Data From Wii To Wii U?

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.RobotsAndComputers.com
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, I was unable to post this from Firefox 55.0.2 under Ubuntu 16.04LTS - it wouldn't allow me to enter text here - but anyway... I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer so please forgive me if this has been answered before.

I know that you can TRANSFER save game data from a Wii to a Wii U, but I have a modified Wii on which I loaded a legal copy of Skylanders Trap Team. That came with a code for a free download of that game on the Wii U. Quality sucks with an HDMI converter on a 135" screen, so I want to play the game on the Wii U without having to start over. I don't want to TRANSFER anything and I for sure don't want to transfer EVERYTHING. Is there no way that I can just copy the save data from that one game over to the Wii U?

BOBdotEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that you can TRANSFER save game data from a Wii to a Wii U, but I have a modified Wii on which I loaded a legal copy of Skylanders Trap Team. That came with a code for a free download of that game on the Wii U
..... so I want to play the game on the Wii U without having to start over. I don't want to TRANSFER anything and I for sure don't want to transfer EVERYTHING. Is there no way that I can just copy the save data from that one game over to the Wii U?

Edit:
Sorry, I I did not realize you were asking about transferring wii save data to the wiiu version of a game on a separate system.
I'm not sure if that game has a 'import save' feature,
If it does, then you can simply follow my original post.
If not, unfortunately you're out of luck

(original post)
(original post)
Yeah, I've been there:
Had a family ii back in the day, multiple people used it,
Many purchases, save file, and mii's, all belonging to various family members,
Years later that system's on it's last leg (dying disk drive) and I have my own wiiu,
And the only option Nintendo gives me is to transfer ALL the data...
Homebrew saves the day!
If the wii is modded, and the vwii on the wiiu is modded, then simply use something like SaveManagerGX

Many games let you copy save files to an SD card from the system menu, but most games with online play block coping saves, so you'd want to use homebrew.

Edit: Alternatively, If you don't want to mod your wiiu at all, and Skylanders does not allow copying saves, you could always use priiloader, to remove the copy protection on save files, you'll be able to copy them to the vwii, but they'll be copy protected once installed on that system.

Either way, keep in mind, that you'll have to play the game at least once on the wiiu to initialize the save data. Then you'll be able to import your old save via homebrew or the system menu.

Last edited by BOBdotEXE, , Reason: fixed

Home_Rowed

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now, the problem is that there's no way to transfer a Wii game save into an Wii U game save, unless Skylanders Trap Team itself has a save import feature.

Yeah you can get your Wii version save onto the vWii of the Wii U, but then it's just stuck in that Wii Mode.

rebeltaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.RobotsAndComputers.com
XP
Country
United States
OoooKaaaayyyy... So yeah... that was all very confusing! lol... I haven't modded a system since I did this Wii like five or ten years ago and I have the memory of Dory from Finding Nemo. I guess I need to read up on modding the Wii U as well as terminology such as vwii. I assume Virtual Wii, but I need to see what's what and where's Waldo in all of this. I don't guess I would mind playing the game in Wii mode on the Wii U. With the Wii U having native HDMI output, it'd have to be better than the output of the Wii through a converter.

I appreciate the replies, guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1