Gaming Can someone clarify the controversial issue with Mass Effect: Andromeda's face presets?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is complaining about the faces in the game. I noticed the movement animation of the bodies themselves to be a bit odd but the faces themselves seem as generic as any other modern game.

What is the issue that is so problematic with the faces? I'm trying my best to see it for myself.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I think for a AAA title, people expect better animations and styling than what's being previewed.
Compare the animations seen here to Witcher 3's and I think you'll start to understand. Not sure the clips are in the final product.

On a side note, even the faces in the original look better to me lol

Last edited by raystriker,

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think for a AAA title, people expect better animations and styling than what's being previewed.
Compare the animations seen here to Witcher 3's and I think you'll start to understand. Not sure the clips are in the final product.

On a side note, even the faces in the original look better to me lol

I cant view that video. Do you have a youtube link instead?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Just look at all the comparison images everyone else has been throwing around. Most of the faces just look bad, worse than the first Mass Effect game that's 10 years older than this which is not really "ok". I think they just overdid the "extremely realistic facial expressions" thing they tried to do which made the model's look "bulkier" in certain areas in the face.

Personally, though, I don't really care that much. I don't excessively stare at the faces of any character in a game unless it's somehow super relevant. Just like how you don't excessively stare at real people's faces in real life.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This video really helped me see what its all about. The faces are all stiff and unrealistic, they just show no expression and something about the eyes seem off too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This is what the eyes reminded me of after seeing the video. Anyone remember this movie?

http://cjonline.com/sites/default/files/photos/new072911wkd1marsattacks3.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This one had passed me by as well.

I wonder if this the uncanny valley at work. I could well believe they did put the serious effort into this. Certainly from what I see above I would hate to animate that scene, let alone a whole game and definitely not as some kind of procedural/canned affair, but the end result, especially when coupled with some less than stellar audio work (actors seemed fine, don't know if they recorded it on a headset mic and mixed it on my 90's cheap hifi tape dubber though) and not so hot textures, really left something to be desired. The pumped features could well be a wallace and gromit ploy but they neglected to add the charm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: