can i run wii roms of a burned cd?

battlecatsahead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i want to play some wii games on usb loader gx, but i dont have a usb drive big enough, so i was wondering if there was a way for me to burn wii games to cd to run them on wii

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
i want to play some wii games on usb loader gx, but i dont have a usb drive big enough, so i was wondering if there was a way for me to burn wii games to cd to run them on wii
Not on burned CDs (due to poor space of 700 MB) but i think it is possible with burned DVD-Rs, but only if your Wii is model RVL-001, and using some homebrew mods. Maybe @XFlak or @jeannotte or others can help further with that.

Reactions: jeannotte

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With that games will only run at 3x as apposed to 6x for retail disc's causing loading and FMV shuddering problems so get a USB hdd as they run 6x or higher via usb

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

You can play burned / backup DVD-Rs with Wii Games
with

- NeoGamma for the Homebrew Channel or via a Channel Forwarder
- with USBLoader GX after mounting a DVD-R Game by clicking on the Disc Icon in the Main Screen.

BUT

You need a Wii with an Drive capeable of reading DVD-Rs.

- Maybe a Wii Modell with GameCube Controller Ports should do that
- Maybe a Wii with the Serial Number and the "fitting" Drive from this Database:
https://www.wiidrives.com/list
It is a 50 % Change....
So the Best Way to Test it is:

- Get an Wii Game ISO (around 4.25 GB in Size)
- Use good DVD-Rs like VERBATIM
- Use ImgBurn to burn the ISO File with a MAXIMUM Speed of 4x
- Try one of the Solutions above mentiones to play the Backup Disc

Good Luck.😉👌

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
for backup disk loading, just follow the regular softmod procedure, load up a usb-loader, and insert a backup disk, it will either work or it won't, if it doesn't work it's probably because the hardware is a newer model that isn't capable. You can get a better idea by generating a syscheck and looking at the drive date as well as confirming all your other mods are up to date and wouldn't be the source of a backup disc not loading when it otherwise should.

OP said he didn't have a large enough USB, and everyone is discussing backup disks, but where's the love for SD? Do you have an SD card that might work?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Fair enough, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention a better option exists! When I go to my mechanic and tell him I want XYZ, well what do I know, he's the expert! If ABC is better than XYZ, the experts should try to at least inform people there's a better way :)

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Fair enough, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention a better option exists! When I go to my mechanic and tell him I want XYZ, well what do I know, he's the expert! If ABC is better than XYZ, the experts should try to at least inform people there's a better way :)
..and then he needs an SD Card and a new App (WiiFLow)...
Yes,I know how Economy works, that's exactly why....

Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
you might be right, but for all know he doesn't know "USB" Loaders can also run games off of SD, and maybe he's got an SD card lying around. Some folks have more SD cards than HDD's because they're more into mobile stuff than PC stuff (not me, but I'm sure these types of ppl exist)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is what the dvd-r's are rated at writing

The speed that the wii can read dvdr is limited by the drive & there is nothing you can do about it.

I used a sandisk 16gb memory stick for a while.
Only partially true. True, since this topic is explicitly about softmod only. When bringing modchips into the topic, the full drive speed can be unlocked for DVD±R.
That said, I recommend using USB (or at least SD) loading in practice over wearing down the drive (if @battlecatsahead's drive is even compatible to standard DVDs). In the long run DVDs are gonna be more expensive than getting an external HDD (an older, used model will do).

One last thing: If a game can be enjoyed from DVD-R, depends solely on the game. A little longer loading time can be accepted in most cases. If the game stutters or gets problems with videos, the fun certainly goes downhill.
Wario Land for example makes the intro unwatchable at the lower drive speed, but can be played normally afterwards.
I was impressed to have no further problems with Metroid Other M from DVD+R DL (book type set to DVD-ROM) compared to the original disc (stuttering and permanent micro-pauses occur from the legit disc as well when moving between rooms – only USB loading gets rid of this).
Mario Galaxy has painful loading times when moving to a galaxy, but plays normally.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A little longer loading time can be accepted in most cases. If the game stutters or gets problems with videos, the fun certainly goes downhill.
Sure, it's certainly playable. Before usb loading became a thing (and even with shitty WBFS raw partition) I was all set to play Wii games off DVD-R. I still have a load of white cases left over (not sure what to do with them...)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think that in the long run, you're better off buying a USB drive than buying many DVD's.

With a 64GB USB you can get up to 21/25 good games.

USB's are cheaper nowadays.
I bought a cheap 2.5" sata caddy back in the day, I always seem to have spare 2.5" hard drives. I'm kinda surprised they lasted mind you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yikes