Hacking Can a Wii U rip GameCube games?

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt the Wii U can read the burst cutting area of a GameCube disc, so it will just reject it. Not to mention that GameCube discs are read differently than a standard DVD as a copy protection measure, so depending on the hardware the Wii U may be physically incapable of reading a GameCube disc even if you somehow managed to make it stay in there.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i am pretty sure there is devolution on the wii U, and you need the original disc to verify that you own it (just one time)
if the wii u can't read gamecube discs, how the fuck devolution works?

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am pretty sure there is devolution on the wii U, and you need the original disc to verify that you own it (just one time)
if the wii u can't read gamecube discs, how the fuck devolution works?

I didn't say it couldn't I said I didn't know if it was possible.

That being said, most people use devolution by using a Wii to verify the game on the HDD then plugging the HDD in to the Wii U.

I personally have never heard of being able to put a GameCube game in a Wii U. Nintendo uses the BCA to verify the disk type, so it probably would accepts a GameCube game as a valid disk there is no logical reason why it should.

I personally just stick to my Wii for hacking stuff. My vWii is soft modded but my daughter already wiped my HDD once so I just don't use it.

Last edited by mediabob,

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
blah blah blah
What the heck?
1. GameCube dumps are not very easy to get hold of (relatively). And remember than internet connections in the US are notoriously bad.
2. What if the disc hasn't been dumped?
3. Have you never heard of redumping?

And on topic:
I'm pretty sure the author/s of redump would have added GCN dumping on vWii if they could.

Last edited by Hiccup,

mediabob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
??? If it is unreleased how are you going to be ripping it from a retail gcn disc? Please re-read the thread.

Yep I completely agree. Still does not necessitate ripping a physical disc.

I ripped all my physical disks because I only use my HDD for stuff I own and downloading them is a PITA. Most site host them on premium download site fill of malware and crap or make you jump through hoops to get them then they cap the speed unless your pay or limit your download size.

It's quicker for me to just rip my disc. They are right there so why not it takes almost as much time to rip it as it does to download it.

Reactions: Hiccup

knm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you can try to use Trinux (https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-tri-core-linux.351024/), a 3 core linux, for Wii U vWii, Imgburn and/or wbfs manager for linux (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WBFS_Managers), And then take a USB External DVD to read and rip GameCube games (both backup and original) instead of run GameCube games on Wii U disc drive. And if you have Original/Retail GameCube game disc, you need external DVD with appropiate code on it, like LG GDR-8082N (http://www.amazon.com/External-LG-GDR-8082N-netbook-Laptop/dp/B001TPUXVQ). That's all I was thinking.

Last edited by knm,

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Also, FriiDump is the thing redump users use when dumping using PC, so it probably makes good dumps.

knm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, FriiDump is the thing redump users use when dumping using PC, so it probably makes good dumps.
Yeah, It would be a good idea to use Friidump on PC or Wii U vWii by using Trinux, which you don't have to move USB HDD or take SD from Wii U to PC or Laptop back and forth.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Gamecube games don't have any encryption, you can rip them directly to .iso format using CleanRip 2.0 on a Wii with an SD Card. And even then, it falls under fair-use because you own the physical copy.
jan 2016 thread :C

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu