Hardware Call to arms..

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the current state of Do-It-Yourself electronics repair around here -- I would like to round up a few people.

Matty, FXDX, and anyone else who KNOWS what they are doing in the hardware realm. Meaning you know how to solder, you know how to read a meter or an LCR. Know the difference between the value of a component in circuit or out, can possibly calculate the values using math, or a meter. Maybe even someone who can troubleshoot. People here need help, someone to guide, someone / somewhere to ask questions BEFORE THEY START.

I see most of the action relative to the Switch currently, and I am seeing insanity.

Some of more dangerous examples:

If the USB chip in the Switch failed, at the rate people here claim in does, there should be a device manufacturer recall.
Same with the charging chip.

99% of time, before you pull a BGA, you should try re-seating it. (also you should KNOW reflow before attempting)

Consumer electronics are Class 2, like the Switch, use unleaded Solder.. When the product is dropped, the solder joints crack, break connection.

Many dont understand many of the components on the board -- I see the words "shorted to ground" a lot. But when trying to determine how to help someone, and they tell me one side of a ceramic cap is shorted to ground.... well I hope so, they all should be. Ceramic caps go between power and ground, to remove sino noise and prevent accidental high states from ac noise.

component ID -- Ive see so many mislabel parts, and its so dangerous, and the reason for so many bricks. There are no tiny fuses, I would imagine zero, on the nintendo switch. Its a small device using digital communication, those lines of communication require a certain impedance for the signal/timing to be precise. So they use "linkers" that are 1 ohm or .5ohm, so knocking one off the board soldering (it happens, but ask if you should be soldering) does NOT mean "I'll just use a jumper"

Heat is the enemy -- if you CANT solder the spot you are touching in less than a ONE..TWO..THREE.. count touching iron to item to be soldered.. then you need to preheat, no you need to do more -- understand ramp up temps for components, learn about heat wicking.
*******NOTE: they do sell very nice trace repair kits, cheap even. But at this level, and many others, you need a microscope and someone who know what they are doing..

blah blah blah.. right? Well Im offering my services to help teach others. I would like some others to offer as well -- maybe we can get an across the board hardware forum/channel that covers modding devices. I know I am not limited to the Switch - Xboxs, PSx, hand helds, cable, satellite, cellular -- i mean if you can open it up and modify it all all -- Im all for it, and would help you do it (as time permits). Just one person cant do all of it, or at least dedicate all their time and patience to this, but WE need to. I love that so many want to tinker -- warms my heart. You scare the fuck outta me with some of the thoughts you express when trying to work on electronics though.

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offering knowledge, I have no interest in chasing people down and explaining that they about to destroy their hardware -- Im offering to group others who know what they are doing and offer advice, council, as to what they are doing, because 90% have no idea..

shorter version easier to understand?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
offering knowledge, I have no interest in chasing people down and explaining that they about to destroy their hardware -- Im offering to group others who know what they are doing and offer advice, council, as to what they are doing, because 90% have no idea..

shorter version easier to understand?
Alright, but again, why not just help in the forums? Most people don't really go to seek out help in random threads unless they are stickied and even then they are still likely to miss that thread. I am not going to discourage you from trying to make a team, but something I've learned over my years is that teams of helpful/knowledgeable tend to find and group together by noticing each other in shared active threads. Just looking at the 3DS scene, many of the thread tends to have @Quantumcat, @TurdPooCharger, and myself, because we naturally gather together to help users out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1