Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II will use the same controversial phone requirement system as Overwatch 2

new_era-mw2.jpg

Overwatch 2 found itself in the midst of controversy--not just because of the multiple DDoS attacks it suffered on launch--when it decided to force players to use a phone number to verify their account. The game uses a 2-factor authentication system called SMS Protect, which in theory is designed to prevent disruptive behavior, but in doing so also limits what types of phone numbers are accepted: prepaid phone plans and VOIP numbers are blocked. This led to a lot of outcry from fans, to the point that Blizzard had to partially walk back some of the restrictions, though it still requires having an aged Battle.net account.

Now, with all the ensuing drama regarding the SMS Protect restrictions, Activision Blizzard is going right ahead and implementing it yet again, in the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. A new FAQ page for Battle.net details that in order to access Modern Warfare II at all, you'll need a phone number, and once more, VOIP services and WhatsApp will not work, while prepaid phone numbers "may not work".

:arrow: Source

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s like this requirement could also be considered as a DRM since if you don’t enter a phone number, it locks you out from playing the entire game, including the single player campaign.

Reactions: krakenx

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
gaming of the future:
please enter your phone number to proceed..
we have sent you an SMS to this number with a code. please enter this code to commence loading the game. :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really don't want us to buy their games.

Mission accomplished.

Granted I never was going to buy these games, but if/when other publishers see it working and start to follow suit on games I do want to buy, that's not going to be a good thing.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, how can they identify whether a phone number is prepaid or not? That's not information the service provider gives if some one or entity requests info on the phone number. Hell, I work at a place under one of the service providers in my country, and we can't even tell if a number from another provider is prepaid or not - and we deal primarily with phones and porting numbers over!

Reactions: felix.200

destructor1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, it stays as easy as it always has been. Don´t buy s**t from this f*cking b*llshit garbage "company".
Simple as that. It´s only a freakin´game. No one needs this. And especially not from ActiBlizzShit.
Keep the boycott alive. This IS the only way to put pressure o these f*ckers. We don´t buy the crap they throw on the market, the marketvalue of this comp goes down the frickin´ drain. Just as they f*cking deserve.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it stays as easy as it always has been. Don´t buy s**t from this f*cking b*llshit garbage "company".
Simple as that. It´s only a freakin´game. No one needs this. And especially not from ActiBlizzShit.
Keep the boycott alive. This IS the only way to put pressure o these f*ckers. We don´t buy the crap they throw on the market, the marketvalue of this comp goes down the frickin´ drain. Just as they f*cking deserve.
I'm with you, and I am almost expecting their shareholders are going to start diminishing (if they haven't already), stocks lowering, and profits dropping and player base decreasing within the next 10 years, if not sooner.

But I can't get behind your inconsistent censoring of your swear word formats. This website allows them, anyways.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern Warfare II? Yet another remake? :O
Obviously, i'm way out of the loop when it comes to COD and their releases..

Last edited by CoolMe,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just like 2fa, keeps my account safe, don’t agree with the prepay discrimination though.
This seems more like a worse 2FA, as it’s extremely limiting and the method used is picked for you.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
dO yOu GuYs NoT hAvE pHoNeS

...God, do I miss the DS Lite and PlayStation 2 era; there was no "connect your phone number" requirement, there were practically no loot boxes or fake currencies to hide how much you're actually spending, and there was a ton more AA games being greenlit and sold.
And to think that this is what today's kids are seeing as 'normal' and all they've ever known; utterly sickening.

Reactions: felix.200

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And none of the actual game files will be on the disc.

It'll be fucking warzone again and you have to sit and download all the game packs in order to play the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.