broke my usb drive

BlackZero500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there. I just managed to kill my usb drive. well kill is an overstatement as matter of fact i can still use it. but i bend a contact as i put it in and had to disassemble the thing and rip of the metal casing of the plug itself so its now bare contacts and plastic. it works but its kinda whacky i have to keep it in a distinct position to make it work. now i saw there are smd usb 3.0 plugs available at most electronic stores. so i figured i could just solder on a new one and glue it all back into the original casing. My question is, is that safe? what would you do exept buy a new one. I will buy a new one thats not the problem but i kinda want to know if i can rescue that thing. just want to hear or rather read your opinions and useful hints and tipps so i can make it work nicely

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you mean a standard USB 3.0 HDD. The ones that have a 2.5" Sata disk inside a USB enclosure?
I think it is best if you just get a new enclosure and attach the disk to it.
It is cheap (around €9 or 10), it is fool-proof, it is lazy-friendly.
It is not worth the time to save the case really.

You can find one of those on eBay.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

BlackZero500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean an usb 3.0 stick. it didnt work anymore so i looked what was wrong a pin in the plug was bend so i had to rip open the metal around the plug.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill