Boston PD prevents local Pokemon TCG Tournament Massacre

DFXB9bW.jpg

Pokemon is all fun and games right? Until you piss off the wrong person that is.

Kevin Norton, 18, and James Stumbo, 27, both from Iowa, allegedly made violent threats on social media to attendants at the Pokémon World Championships, cops said. Security officials at the Hynes Convention Center, where the tournament is held, immediately began investigating, and the two men were stopped hours later trying to get into the event.

Detectives searched the suspects' car and found a 12-gauge shotgun, an AR-15 rifle, several hundred rounds of ammunition and a hunting knife, cops said.

The altercation began between two entrants on facebook.
Stumbo posted the threat Aug. 19 on a Facebook group called "Mayhem Pokémon Crew," with a photo of the shotgun and the rifle on the back of their car.

He captioned the photo: "Kevin Norton and I are ready for worlds Boston here we come!!!"

pokemon24n-1-web.jpg

When a group member wished them good luck, Norton replied, "With killing the competition?"

:arrow: SOURCE

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to just post this one piece to respond to all three of you quoting my post.

I absolutely agree with you that prevention is necessary. Prevention is key to public safety. But the death penalty by its nature is not a method of prevention. You know what is prevention? Arrest and imprisonment by a police force. And under US law it isn't hard to determine a reasonable cause to arrest someone-- in fact, that's exactly what happened in this situation. The death penalty is a form of punishment for murder and doesn't happen all of a sudden.

I'm really trying hard not to seem like "one of the bad guys" in this situation. I just really think that rather thank ending someone's life there are better options like therapy with imprisonment, or lifetime imprisonment even. As a form of prevention wouldn't you agree that throwing someone in jail where they can do no harm and determining their punishment later is sufficient? I'm legitimately interested in your opinions-- I'm just going with what the US law has taught people thus far.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to just post this one piece to respond to all three of you quoting my post.

I absolutely agree with you that prevention is necessary. Prevention is key to public safety. But the death penalty by its nature is not a method of prevention. You know what is prevention? Arrest and imprisonment by a police force. And under US law it isn't hard to determine a reasonable cause to arrest someone-- in fact, that's exactly what happened in this situation. The death penalty is a form of punishment for murder and doesn't happen all of a sudden.

I'm really trying hard not to seem like "one of the bad guys" in this situation. I just really think that rather thank ending someone's life there are better options like therapy with imprisonment, or lifetime imprisonment even. As a form of prevention wouldn't you agree that throwing someone in jail where they can do no harm and determining their punishment later is sufficient? I'm legitimately interested in your opinions-- I'm just going with what the US law has taught people thus far.
No idea how US law works, but I know for a fact in Canada "life" sentences, rarely ever go past 30 years, even news sites have reported on it. And people like that just end up being a waste of taxpayer dollars. Can't really continue discussing this as I know nothing about USA law.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really trying hard not to seem like "one of the bad guys" in this situation.
No one said you were. :) Anyways, I do agree with your third paragraph though regarding alternatives for punishment after a prison sentence. Condemning someone with a death penalty right off the bat does seem harsh and unreasonable and so further discussion for punishment is needed.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Aaaaaaaand this is why we can never have nice things. Thank goodness the police managed to stop these stupid assholes before shit happens. Mad props to them.

Reactions: Foxi4

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, far as we know, these guys did it for the reason:

"Pokemon's for nerds" basically. They felt like they were doin' it for the 'greater good' of mankind. Or some retarded jazz like that.

I don't know what sorta history these two have (IE: how much video games they play, how much they stroke their car's exhaust pipe, etc), but cash bets they're the sort of cliche Car rubbing assholes who feel threatened that having fun can actually not be 'nerdish'. They're a result of the current horrid generations of parents (1 generation apart, mind you!) whom have not given their children the proper medical care they needed, or the proper discipline. They're a result of the internet's horrid leniency towards such thoughts and social networks being full of people who SUPPORT such lines of thoughts.

I honestly hope they get the death sentence, and everyone who supported their comments or who didn't report the bloody bastards also gets sent to jail for association*.

Note 1: I am not a hardcore pokemon fan, but this is about as low as humanity can go nowadays: literally hosting slaughters (attempted ones rather) because of one's means of enjoying themselves.

Note 2 / *: yes, you can get sent to jail by viewing someone making such threats and not reporting them. It's called association. You know they have the means, you see them claim intent. And by not reporting to the police, you're aiding them by remaining silent, potentially risking the authorities being in the dark, and hence supporting their actions, even if you don't mean to. (Note: being threatened with your life ofc is an exception, but come on, in this case it's the net, that's barely an excuse).

Reactions: HNKii

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Note 1: I am not a hardcore pokemon fan, but this is about as low as humanity can go nowadays: literally hosting slaughters (attempted ones rather) because of one's means of enjoying themselves.
Yes. We're constantly reminded on the news about those pushing the boundaries of human capacity and its destructiveness. This situation is no different and it's dreadfully appalling.

Reactions: VinsCool
D

Deleted User

The sad thing is that, again, you can be sure that nothing willl be done to prevent people from buying guns and ammo that easily... How many mass shootings before someone actually do something ? Having a gun should not be a right but a duty. It's not a freaking toy ffs

Cool, the usual agenda pushing in the face of even the slightest bit of controversy involving guns. when you are born and raised by the guns of the patriots then you have a right to complain. otherwise give it up. our country was born by the gun, telling us to give up the wide availability in our country is like us telling you to give up your swords/bows, and just like a sword or a bow the danger comes from the person holding it, they would probably have done it anyway using a sword, or a bow, or hell they probably would have tried it using a freaking letter opener since they where obviously very intent on killing.

GUNS ARE PART OF WHO WE ARE AND WE WON'T GIVE IT UP, EVER.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, the usual agenda pushing in the face of even the slightest bit of controversy involving guns. when you are born and raised by the guns of the patriots then you have a right to complain. otherwise give it up. our country was born by the gun, telling us to give up the wide availability in our country is like us telling you to give up your swords/bows, and just like a sword or a bow the danger comes from the person holding it, they would probably have done it anyway using a sword, or a bow, or hell they probably would have tried it using a freaking letter opener since they where obviously very intent on killing.

poor analogy a sword and/or bow to a gun that sword is a lot heaver hunk of steel there and if untrained may take multi-swings even more effort, and compression bows aside (illegal in some states) i have never heard someone say that bow had a hairpin trigger
edit: or i dropped the letter opener and it just went off
i can go on but the point is guns are not something we need to kill you are correct there but at the same time do you really need to be able to just empty a clip instakill a crowd ("boom headsh0t". . ."lol")
p.s. to who it may concern
guns are for punks who are afraid of getting a good old-fashioned ass whoppin i mean are you at a warzone, surrounded by wild (dingos) "or insert other animal name here" bent on eating your (baby)"or insert other loved one here" no did not think so

Last edited by wormdood,

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't worry, I read the entire post.

But again, good guys too concerned over justifying things. I guess it's probably just my rebellious streak, but I really have no problem with... certain kinds of people... dealing with threats to society in ways that humans laws cannot provide.

If certain people want to hurt innocents, I certainly won't mind it if someone preemptively takes these certain people out of the picture. In ways that horrifies them the way we are horrified by their wanting to hurt innocents.

Let's just say that when the rules you enforce is too concerned with punishment instead of with prevention, then there's something wrong with the rules. With punishment, the deed is done - people hurt, lives lost. Not so with prevention. But I guess that's free will at its finest, eh? The right to make the choice - even if the choice you make ends up with lots of innocent lives lost. That's the kind of power we give the bad guys.

Ah, but I digress. Just think of this as an opinion piece.

As a fellow Filipino, I will have to disagree. Abuse can happen on both sides. It's easy to say that "suspicious" people should be dealt with immediately before they can do anthing. But what if that person is actually innocent? Without a proper trial, you can never really know. That's what Marcos has done to the Philippines from the late seventies to the early eighties. Some people can easily prove that it was "safer" on that time, but the relatives of people who has just been executed or "disappeared" without trial will say otherwise.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
No one said you were. :) Anyways, I do agree with your third paragraph though regarding alternatives for punishment after a prison sentence. Condemning someone with a death penalty right off the bat does seem harsh and unreasonable and so further discussion for punishment is needed.
If this attack went through... like, seriously, just count the number of potential innocent victims. That much ammunition can easily net them around 20 kills, mostly kids, and quite possibly a lot more than that. Just thinking about it scares the living shit out of me, and I'm a mofuckin asian living in South East Asia! It's either you turn them into a very harsh lesson to strike fear into others that might go down that path, or you will very likely have more crying mothers weeping for little children shot up by sick fuckers like these. Yeah, I'm starting to use swear words a lot because fuck these fuckers need to disappear, stat.

Fine, don't give it up. Just be responsible gun owners. And don't be a fucking threat to society. Don't go around toting loaded firearms, especially to unarmed citizens, just because you don't agree on something and feel the need to exert your "authority".
But come to think of it, if you have to have a loaded gun on your person to feel safe in your area, to belong in your area, then there's something VERY VERY WRONG with your area. That area is a WARZONE, regardless of whether or not people are actually shooting each other up or not.

As a fellow Filipino, I will have to disagree. Abuse can happen on both sides. It's easy to say that "suspicious" people should be dealt with immediately before they can do anthing. But what if that person is actually innocent? Without a proper trial, you can never really know. That's what Marcos has done to the Philippines from the late seventies to the early eighties. Some people can easily prove that it was "safer" on that time, but the relatives of people who has just been executed or "disappeared" without trial will say otherwise.
Abductions are far, far too different from cases like these where we have irrefutable evidence of preparation and threats declared through language. That's what happened during the Marcos era. Accusations with no basis, no evidence, just a finger pointed your way and you're off to never never land, never never to appear ever again.

This one's loads different. Caught red-handed, pare, they might as well pull their pants down as it stands. But as I said a few posts back, I don't mind giving them a chance to prove us wrong, that they aren't sick fuckers who were about to go on a murder spree. I don't mind that. But things must be quick, and decisive. We don't have to lose our humanity to violence, but when there is threat of violence, we must be able to deal with that threat in such a way that prevents any more threats of that nature from happening in the future. I.E., be so brutal as to scare the living shit out of sick fuckers. Citizens need not fear, unless they do something really stupid. But stupid things can be dealt with in relatively non-violent ways. But there are special cases like these which I think needs to be cauterized.

I'm so glad I'm not in a position to be a monster that scares all the other monsters away, lol. But somebody needs to take that position, and satin pare, I wish it's Duterte.

Last edited by ferofax,
Reactions: HaloEffect17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay