Borderlands 2 now the biggest launch of 2012

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade has been called several times "Best RPG of this Gen" so it deserve a spot.

I totally forgot about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning & Dragon's Dogma which were really awesome too but IDK if they'll make it.

The point is that this year has not so many big hit games comig or already released compared to other years like on 2011.

For Xenoblade, I played an hour of it and got bored. I really wouldn't call it the "best RPG of this gen" especially compared to having a stellar line up of western ones like Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, etc.

I'd say Dragon's Dogma because it used a lot of mechanics and it felt very bold. People complain about Capcom all the time and games like this really take some heat off of them. It's a new IP in a time when everyone is just continuing their old IPs, it has a rather bold vision, and it chronicles a history of modern Capcom gaming with other franchises. It's part Monster Hunter, part Elder Scrolls, part Devil May Cry, part Resident Evil, part Dark Souls, part Shadow of the Colossus. It's not a perfect game by any means but it's bold, daring, and just really damn fun.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that this will encourage more companies to give new IPs a shot. Some may fail, but unless you take the chance, you'll never hit the jackpot.

...More likely we're going to see a tidal wave of Borderlands rip offs very soon.

This seems like it would take a bit more effort to clone than most games.

I'd like to think so, but you never know.

"Hey Bob, go to design about that shooter game we've got in the works. Tell them to add something called "stats" and "loots". Funny robots seem to be in, too. Tell 'em to have it in the can by May."

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Xenoblade has been called several times "Best RPG of this Gen" so it deserve a spot.

I totally forgot about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning & Dragon's Dogma which were really awesome too but IDK if they'll make it.

The point is that this year has not so many big hit games comig or already released compared to other years like on 2011.

For Xenoblade, I played an hour of it and got bored. I really wouldn't call it the "best RPG of this gen" especially compared to having a stellar line up of western ones like Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, etc.

Which came from Canada :3

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Totally forgot about Halo 4
Of course it will get a nomination

It's gonna be tough. I mean. A lot of people think it's going to suck because.. well.. you finished the fight in Halo 3, and it's sorta been the same ever since with a few minor tweaks like Armor Locks, jet packs and what not. But hey, still more innovation than CoD. So if that can get nominated, I guess Halo 4 can too.

By who? They'd be horribly horribly wrong, considering all the amazing RPGs that have come out this gen.

...How can they be wrong? It's no different than saying the other people who think other RPG's are better are wrong because Xenoblades came out.

Honestly, the only thing I think that could be Xenoblades for best RPG this gen is Lost Odyssey.

Elaugaufein

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, the only thing I think that could be Xenoblades for best RPG this gen is Lost Odyssey.

I wouldn't usually consider Lost Odyssey to be in competition with Xenoblade myself. There's a decent difference between those who play action RPGs and turn-based RPGs even though there's lots of overlap its usually not deep, I play a lot of turn-based games myself and only pick up ARPGs that I've heard really good things about or the story interests me. I like party/tactical management too much to really love ARPGs and I'm pretty sure that people on the other side of the spectrum like the real time feedback and often better graphics (ARPGs let you use a FPS style view which isn't really compatible with things like full-party tactical movement control) to really be fans of turn-based RPGs).

Lost Odyssey is relatively high up my list but I wouldn't call it the best. Xenoblade doesn't make my top ten.

I'm kind of glad in that companies have worked out they can (relatively cheaply) make good-quality turn-based games for consoles and phones and make a decent margin out turn-based fans, though it does continue to present turn-based stuff as a technological limit as opposed to a design constraint.

*This is probably at its heart a large part of the incredibly mixed reception that FFXII & FFXIII got. Turn-based fans felt sort of betrayed, Action RPGers really got into it so the audience inverted. ARPGs tend to win the money dance since they have a much bigger "will-take-a-look" style audience than turn-based games, since they have the FPS and Fighting game crowd, so I wouldn't be surprised if they proved more profitable anyway.

xephos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you also taking into consideration how many people pirated the game rather than bought it, or are you only doing it based upon how much money they've made?

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told once that Borderlands didn't live up to the hype, but I haven't tried it yet for myself so I can't say anything about the quality of the game. I'm still looking forward to Resident Evil 6 though. I hope the success of Borderlands doesn't make Capcom decide to push Resident Evil (further) back into the action genre...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I was told once that Borderlands didn't live up to the hype, but I haven't tried it yet for myself so I can't say anything about the quality of the game. I'm still looking forward to Resident Evil 6 though. I hope the success of Borderlands doesn't make Capcom decide to push Resident Evil (further) back into the action genre...
Were they expecting it to fellate them upon install or something?

D

Deleted_171835

Playing 1 hour of a 70+ hour game (especially an RPG) does not allow you to form a proper opinion on it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa