Hacking black screen on the first time of useing my flashcart?

bomboy2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
i started flashing my n2dsxl (11.4 with r4i) with the 3ds.guide , i reached step II and i inserted my flashcard with ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi.nds and started it but it just showed a white screen and then completly went black, what should i do?

DNA64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is something I wish they made clear in the guide. Some flashcards come without any system files on them, so they just wont work.

All you need to do to fix this is download and install the firmware for your card. In my case I had an R4i Gold 3DS and I used this file http://filetrip.net/dl?FhXOBrY7vI
Then just copy "_rpg" and "_DS_MENU.DAT" to the root folder of your micro sd card, insert it back into the flashcart and continue following the guide.

Reactions: bomboy2121

bomboy2121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
This is something I wish they made clear in the guide. Some flashcards come without any system files on them, so they just wont work.

All you need to do to fix this is download and install the firmware for your card. In my case I had an R4i Gold 3DS and I used this file http://filetrip.net/dl?FhXOBrY7vI
Then just copy "_rpg" and "_DS_MENU.DAT" to the root folder of your micro sd card, insert it back into the flashcart and continue following the guide.
thank you very much :D worked on the first try.
it is indeed something that should be added to the guide for the simple reason that they premote the r4 so much and mention it as well in there.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thank you very much :D worked on the first try.
it is indeed something that should be added to the guide for the simple reason that they premote the r4 so much and mention it as well in there.
It IS there, you just decided not to read it.... Quoted from the guide, "Ensure your flashcart is able to launch correctly before starting. Be sure to have any required kernel or firmware files copied to your flashcart’s SD card. Consult your specific flashcart’s instructions for more information"

Reactions: Hunter

DNA64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It IS there, you just decided not to read it.... Quoted from the guide, "Ensure your flashcart is able to launch correctly before starting. Be sure to have any required kernel or firmware files copied to your flashcart’s SD card. Consult your specific flashcart’s instructions for more information"

Yes, it's there, but it's not clear enough in my opinion and clearly people are having issues.

Think of it like a flow chart..

Ensure your flashcart is able to launch correctly before starting.
Does it work?
Yes > You're lucky.
NO > Be sure to have any required kernel or firmware files copied to your flashcart’s SD card. Consult your specific flashcart’s instructions for more information
> Flashcart has no instructions or instructions not clear
> Sorry You're screwed.

It should read more like this..

Before continuing ensure your flashcart has a kernel installed by inserting the flashcart into your DS and launching it from the newly appeared icon on your screen. If your flashcart boots into a menu system then your card already has a kernel and you can continue following the guide. If you get a white or black screen your flashcart doesn't have a kernel, and you'll need to download the correct kernel for your flashcart. Check the manufactures site or the re-sellers site for more information and to download the correct kernel for your card. Many of these cards no longer receive updates, so don't worry if you see the last kernel download is from 2013, just download it and extract the contents to the MircoSD Card you'll be using in the flashcart. Make sure to copy "_rpg" and "_DS_MENU.DAT" to the root folder of your micro sd card, insert it back into the flashcart and continue following the guide.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's there, but it's not clear enough in my opinion and clearly people are having issues.

Think of it like a flow chart..

Ensure your flashcart is able to launch correctly before starting.
Does it work?
Yes > You're lucky.
NO > Be sure to have any required kernel or firmware files copied to your flashcart’s SD card. Consult your specific flashcart’s instructions for more information
> Flashcart has no instructions or instructions not clear
> Sorry You're screwed.

It should read more like this..

Before continuing ensure your flashcart has a kernel installed by inserting the flashcart into your DS and launching it from the newly appeared icon on your screen. If your flashcart boots into a menu system then your card already has a kernel and you can continue following the guide. If you get a white or black screen your flashcart doesn't have a kernel, and you'll need to download the correct kernel for your flashcart. Check the manufactures site or the re-sellers site for more information and to download the correct kernel for your card. Many of these cards no longer receive updates, so don't worry if you see the last kernel download is from 2013, just download it and extract the contents to the MircoSD Card you'll be using in the flashcart. Make sure to copy "_rpg" and "_DS_MENU.DAT" to the root folder of your micro sd card, insert it back into the flashcart and continue following the guide.
Okay but think of it like this, if you're following directions for something you've never done before it would be best to read EVERY word on the page; not just what you think is important. It shouldn't have to be in 48pt bolded red text for you guys to read through it. It's right there on the page you used to get the programs, if you passed it over than you should probably be more meticulous. Especially when dealing with sensitive programs that can 100% brick your console I don't understand why you guys don't read it all, or twice for that matter.

EDIT: It couldn't read like that because different cards require different files retrieved from different places. It's YOUR responsibility as the consumer to find out how to use the product. Don't blame the guide because you bought a flashcard and didn't realize it needed something on it to run......

Last edited by Majickhat55,

DNA64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay but think of it like this, if you're following directions for something you've never done before it would be best to read EVERY word on the page; not just what you think is important. It shouldn't have to be in 48pt bolded red text for you guys to read through it. It's right there on the page you used to get the programs, if you passed it over than you should probably be more meticulous. Especially when dealing with sensitive programs that can 100% brick your console I don't understand why you guys don't read it all, or twice for that matter.

EDIT: It couldn't read like that because different cards require different files retrieved from different places. It's YOUR responsibility as the consumer to find out how to use the product. Don't blame the guide because you bought a flashcard and didn't realize it needed something on it to run......

Oh I read it many times, thank you. And I'm not someone that needs to worry about bricking a system, never have after 100's, but others less experienced should!
It's just that I've purchased dozens of these cards and never had one come without a kernel, so it was a first time experience for me, and I've been involved in modding the DS since the original on launch day! I still have my PassME.

And that was more of an example as obviously not every card will use those file/folder names.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel that the guide could just link to cart kernels and whatnot since it's just a matter of dragging and dropping files, and I know that it can be difficult to find working files for a lot of carts. When I got my AK2i it took me a little while to figure out that I needed AKAIO and where to find the latest version because documentation is rather dated and all over the place.

Reactions: DNA64

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto