Gaming Bioshock: Upgrade PC or buy a Xbox 360?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I ended up getting PC version of Bioshock instead of 360+Bioshock.
I seriously hate playing FPS on pad anyway, so.

Your PC can't run? I doubt it, it may not be 1280x1024 with max details but looks totally runnable to me.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
cheaper for a 360 in the long run! but the experience might be better on the PC.

I played the demo on my PC and ran great!

System:
WinXP SP2
AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.64GHz
A8N-32SLI Dlx
2GB DDR400 Mushkin
2x 7800GT's in SLI 500core/600mem 1.5volt mod
320gig Seagate 7200.10 Sata 2.0
21" CRT monitor
750watts woth of power!

It never dipped below 30 and had average framerate of 45fps @ 1280x1024 all settings except DX10

Off Topic Completely: Fanboy, people always said the PS3 is so much more expensive but its cheaper in the long run. You always pay for live, you'll have to pay for the Wireless thing, you'll have to pay 100+ dollars to get the 120GB harddrive if you have a core or premium, etc.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The PC version has a shocking activation system, you only get 5 activations and apprently different users count as an activation.

There is a rumour that this will be changed allowing activation on 2 machines, but what is a machine classed as. If I have to re-install windows does that class as a change in machine?

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PC version has a shocking activation system, you only get 5 activations and apprently different users count as an activation.

There is a rumour that this will be changed allowing activation on 2 machines, but what is a machine classed as. If I have to re-install windows does that class as a change in machine?

i said something about that earier, its up to 5 installs per machine for 5 machines. The 5x5 method

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
um this game sucks don't bother dude... if you want a sure bet, get an xbox360 and the game on it... otherwise you're just throwing a bunch of money into the fireplace and lighting it with butane.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this game sucks? care to expand on that amptor? let me guess you love metroid?

I see nothing wrong with the 5x5 install things...you get 5 different installs per computer and you can install it on 5 computers. Not bad at all.

They are also releasing a program that credits you with an install whenever you uninstall the game - also the securerom shit is only for when the game is new. once the game has been out a while they'll release a patch that removes ALL copy protection...it's only for the begining stages of the release.

If this keeps you from installing the game, your loss. It's an awesome game like EVERY single review has said.

I'm sick of people bitching about the copy protection, it got so blown out of proportion by the whiney internet people that couldn't play the game for some reason or another. Almost every game on PC has copy protection these days.

If you msg the lead designer on the forums he will reply to your PM's personally and help fix whatever problems you're having with it...even if it isn't the game doing it and is a hardware issue.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I see nothing wrong with the 5x5 install things...you get 5 different installs per computer and you can install it on 5 computers. Not bad at all.

They are also releasing a program that credits you with an install whenever you uninstall the game - also the securerom shit is only for when the game is new. once the game has been out a while they'll release a patch that removes ALL copy protection...it's only for the begining stages of the release.

If this keeps you from installing the game, your loss. It's an awesome game like EVERY single review has said.

I'm sick of people bitching about the copy protection, it got so blown out of proportion by the whiney internet people that couldn't play the game for some reason or another. Almost every game on PC has copy protection these days.

If you msg the lead designer on the forums he will reply to your PM's personally and help fix whatever problems you're having with it...even if it isn't the game doing it and is a hardware issue.

Its gonna be atleast 2 years before they probably remove copy protection and give the game away for free on the net but has ad's on it, just like they are doing to prince of persia and far-cry.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Its gonna be atleast 2 years before they probably remove copy protection and give the game away for free on the net but has ad's on it, just like they are doing to prince of persia and far-cry.

The game has been cracked now so just download it like I did lol
tongue.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say buy it so developers keep making good games. If you really can't live with the copy protection buy it then pirate it so the people that made it get the money they deserve.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say buy it so developers keep making good games. If you really can't live with the copy protection buy it then pirate it so the people that made it get the money they deserve.

Get off ur soapbox and get with the times man. Bioshock has sold over 3million copies already....at 50-70 bucks a pop, they have all the money they need. That made it easier for me to pirate lol
cool.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
haha I'm far from being on a soapbox...I've just seen so many good games fail with sales, it's a bit sad
frown.gif

Do what you like but I think if any game at the moment it worth a buy..it's bioshock and metroid.

The copy protection is only there in the first place because of pirates. I can hardly understand why people bitch when they pirate the game...we have to put up with the copy protection crap because of you.

robi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Notes:

* I know my PC barely hit the minimum requirements, but after search google for bioshock and a my cpu or graphics card people have reported poor results.

* I would have stuck with my socket 939 motherboard but I would have been stuck with my old processor. Plus, 939 is dead, you can't get the latest and greatest with it. When I build computers, I try to leave in room for expandability. I'm using the same Antec case that I got with my Athlon XP 3200+, This will be the third iteration. Also, my younger sister is stuck with a 900Mhz Gateway POS PC that's giving her a lot of problems. I thought it would be nice to give her the old Athlon 64 motherboad/cpu/and older DDR memory with it (since I needed to buy DDR2).

* I'm not against piracy. I've done it with my PC, MAC, Dreamcast, Xbox, DS, and Wii. I've even already downloaded BioShock on my linux server at home (Uni's bandwidth is throttled like hell). But this time I decided to buy it along with my Newegg purchase. Sometimes the convince of less hassle is worth it. Yes, I'm against all the SecureRom shit and hopefully there will be a way to remove just that. However, these are the guys that brought us System Shock 2 (Bioshock being the spiritual sequel). I started pirating before Napster and Bittorrent existed so I know what's available, the biggest reason I did it at the time was because I was in middle school and couldn't afford it.

* The number of installs doesn't bother me since I'm going to install it once, on my new PC. I doubt my PC will crash 5 times, forcing me to reinstall everything, before I'm finished with Bioshock. If it does, well I guess I have bigger fish to fry. Also, their developers do seem to be very responsive.

Anyways, I just felt like I had to add that in.

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm against all the SecureRom shit and hopefully there will be a way to remove just that.

lol there already is a way
smile.gif
damn hackers work fast, and for this game it's a first on having to downlo9ad two seprate cracks just to get rid of that shitty online crap. Yeah the games worth buying of course, but i didn't have the money at the time so i just found it online.

P.S you don't really need a new pc to run that game, and to my surprise i played it last nite on medium setting with a nearly perfect frame rate all of the time. Athlon 64 3000+,1 gig ram, gforce 6800 here
grog.gif

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My cpu is a bit slower than yours the only difference is that i have a geforce 6800 shouldn't matter though, so with just about all the new games coming out soon for pc should run without buying a new one just as long as you take into effect your not uploading anything while your playing anything
cool.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To my surprise, it played very well with a constant ~40-50 fps on my aging A64 4200+/7950GT (which has now been upgraded to a Q6600/8800GTX) with everything set to high.

I'm not sure which platform you'd want to play it on to be honest. The PC version plays OK and is definitely superior to the 360 version as far as controllability goes (what did you expect?) but has some nasty quirks. Overall sensitivity was clearly set with crappy console gamepads in mind rather than PC controls which is why it'll be crazy high even at low settings for people with good mouses (high resolution, optical ones). Also, getting AA working is annoyingly hard (which isn't 2K's fault to be fair; rather, it's the fault of the piece of shit that is Unreal Engine 3).

QUOTE said:
with pc you got crysis, with 360 you got RRoD
Thanks for the laugh. Ironically - even though it comes off as a straw man - it's true. Consoles have no build quality to speak of.

robi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
Thanks for the laugh. Ironically - even though it comes off as a straw man - it's true. Consoles have no build quality to speak of.

*Xbox 360. I can't think of another console with so many issues. Even the first xbox was stable (for me at least)

Avoiding having to deal with a "RRoD" was also a big factor to stick with a PC. Plus if I were to mod it I doubt I could send it to microsoft
tongue.gif

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

*Xbox 360. I can't think of another console with so many issues. Even the first xbox was stable (for me at least)

Avoiding having to deal with a "RRoD" was also a big factor to stick with a PC. Plus if I were to mod it I doubt I could send it to microsoft
tongue.gif

I found the RRoD was very easy to fix. Anyone used to upgrading PC components shouldn't see it as much of an issue.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

tongue.gif

I found the RRoD was very easy to fix. Anyone used to upgrading PC components shouldn't see it as much of an issue.
It voids your warranty. So if you screw up, you got a 400$ paperweight.

However, its nearly impossible to screw up upgrading a PC, and your warranty is still intact.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

It voids your warranty. So if you screw up, you got a 400$ paperweight.

However, its nearly impossible to screw up upgrading a PC, and your warranty is still intact.

The warranty issue is true, unless you want a modded 360 (then it's a moot point). I still think most pc owners on here would be able to do the x-clamp fix without damaging their console, though.

squinty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bioshock was a big letdown in my opinion. The hype was too much for this game that didn't deliver. Ask someone who already has it, or play it for a while on their system. It has some unique ideas, but the game was a letdown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them