Best way to solder the button cell batteries on a GB Pokemon cart?

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I backed up my Pokemon saves a few months ago before their batteries died and they finally bit the dust. My Gold's clock had been running slow so I knew its time was coming. Anyways, I'm having some trouble trying to solder new button cell batteries into Gold and Red. They were obviously machine welded originally but I don't have a spot welder or anything and the shiny surface does not want to have solder stick to it, and even lightly sanding it didn't help that much. Any suggestions besides using electrical tape to hold it in?

Sidenote, the internal battery in my Red is nearly as old as I am. Just a few months younger (October '96.) That's an impressive lifespan.

Last edited by LeifEricson,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Easiest way is to cut the batterie out with a sharp knife and just put a new one in and fix it with some tape. I did that to my crystal, silver and emerald edition and it works fine. If you want i can link you a youtube video how to do it.
And yes the battery of the red version wont get empty that easy. Pokemon G/S/C have a clock which always run while pokemon red only need the battery to save afaik.

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can buy a pack of gb save batteries on ebay that are easy to solder on the cartridge. The batteries allready have the clips soldered on them, so you only need to replace the whole battery unit.
Ps. Never solder on batteries, they can explode.

otenko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe, it would be easier for you to solder a battery holder on your cart, so you just have to pop up the battery to change it like the Everdrives. I was thinking about doing this for my Boktai games.

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using the tape method for changing the batteries in my GB, GBC and GBA and I've only ever broken one and that just due to how old the game was it was ポケットモンスター 青 or just Pokemon Blue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, wire is definitely more practical IMO. Hell these days you can charge a laptop over...