Hardware Best Processor to put into Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this computer is currently my grandmas computer and i use it a lot when I am at her house. It currently has a Pentium P6200 in it. I have seen people that have put in a i7-640m into this type of machine, while that will improve performance in some aspects it really wont enhance graphic capabilities at all. The socket in use here is PGA988.
This is a very similar socket that Both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUS use. In fact that are compatible it comes down to the BIOS that the specific computer has. When Looking at the change log for the BIOS for this laptop. Look at Version 2.20.
BIOS Changelog.PNG

It says that L750/L755 BIOS was combined with that version. If you check the specs of the L750/L755 series they use a Sandy Bridge Processor. It would be Ideal to put a Ivy Bridge in there for more performance and graphical capability. (Im not holding my breath) Im not too sure exactly what falls under this BIOS and what doesn't. So if anyone has any helpful tips or ideas that would be great! This computer already has a 250gb SSD in it.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Find out what Bios version you are on and see if you can update before attempting to buy the cpu, the two cpu matches the socket.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A newer laptop. Even with a big processor upgrade, first gen Core computers cost more to run in dramatically higher energy consumption than they are worth & are awful in terms of performance.

Machines with Second Gen core are effectively free at this point. Fourth gen is cheap as well.

The socket itself does not matter, that machine is not compatible with 2nd gen Core or newer.

Last edited by blahblah,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on the latest 2.80 BIOS

You should be able to use CPU within the same socket type, so the i7-640m should work fine, you just have to uninstall the processor and restart the computer if it doesn't show up. You can use park control if you ran into how many available core/thread available problem.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to use CPU within the same socket type, so the i7-640m should work fine, you just have to uninstall the processor and restart the computer if it doesn't show up. You can use park control if you ran into how many available core/thread available problem.
i believe alway the way up to ivy bridge 35W processors are compatable with this socket. the computer wont boot with a 45W TDP CPU

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A newer laptop. Even with a big processor upgrade, first gen Core computers cost more to run in dramatically higher energy consumption than they are worth & are awful in terms of performance.

Machines with Second Gen core are effectively free at this point. Fourth gen is cheap as well.

The socket itself does not matter, that machine is not compatible with 2nd gen Core or newer.
How come then? care to exlapin?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/HzRGkeVySqE?si=RpzYP5tJsOViNLRj