Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crystal Clear and Prism are the two that jump to mind when I think Pokemon GBC ROM hacks. From memory, Crystal Clear makes Crystal into an open world adventure with a bunch of cool other changes, while Prism has like five regions with a load of new and custom stuff. Both great though.

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
According to my limited experience, the top 8bits Pokemon hackroms are Crystal Clear and Prism.

• Pokemon Crystal Clear is just Pokemon Crystal... with a non-lineal design, tons of extra content (new areas, challenges, easter eggs and QoL changes), character customization and following pokemon.
  • Pokemon Prism is a completely new region and story, with modernized mechanics (Abilities, Physical/Special split, fairy type...) plus some innovations (pokemon-only areas where you directly control a pokemon, lateral-scrolling areas, mining, gas and sound types...) and improvements (60fps, character customization and following pokemon)
The amount of content and work both teams put in a 8bit game is just astounding.

Edit: I remember more examples:
  • Polished Crystal and Red++, that are like Crystal and Red on vitamins respectively (specially the first one).
  • There are some attempts of recreating and completing the beta versions of Pokemon G/S, which had a different region (based on the whole Japan) and tone. The project is named Gold and Silver 97: Reforged
  • Pokemon Brown, a hack of Red by the creators of Pokemon Prism. Although I hadn't played it, I've read it's good.

Last edited by Desconocido90,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Hey boi, keep your nuts out of chat. Unless you want them to get roasted. :ninja: