Hacking Best media for backups

morbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well based on your experience what's the best brand and media type to burn wii backups. I have done this with sony dvd+r for now (because is the media i had available) but i constantly hear the sound of the wii's drive pushing itself reading the disk. So i wanted to change to a better media brand that's easier for the drive to read. Any suggestions?

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
Verbatims all the way mate, work like a dream for me
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I only buy Verbatim, but it's not the brand that's important, it's the manufacturer. If you got some good DVD-Rs from one brand, that does not mean automatically you always get good DVD-Rs from that brand, but i think the chance is a good one with Verbatim to get good DVD-Rs.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memorex dvd-r with CMC, MAG, AM3 manufacture id work no problems and there pretty cheap too the cool colors 15 packs and plain silver disk 20 packs are that id the 5 packs tend to be RITEKF1 and they don't burn to good for me lots of DRE.

goober22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recent thread with answers here:
[url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=120...p;#entry1607905]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=120...p;#entry1607905[/url]

Posts merged

wolffangalchemist said:
Memorex dvd-r with CMC, MAG, AM3 manufacture id work no problems and there pretty cheap too the cool colors 15 packs and plain silver disk 20 packs are that id the 5 packs tend to be RITEKF1 and they don't burn to good for me lots of DRE.

I really don't mean to offend you Wolf but those are some of the worst discs out there. (Memorex, CMC, MAG). Of course YMMV and if they work for you, great. But, there are posts everywhere about their poor quality. I used to use Pro-disc discs but so many people were having issues I quit using them "just-in-case". It's only a few cents more to get a quality disc like TY, Sony, Verbatim.

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i use sony -dvd-rs and they work great but because somebody fucked up my usb ports, i ahve to use a usb hub that makes all my games come out with reallllllly long loading times.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
palitavengadora said:
morbo, i use SONY -R and i haven't problem, i heard some Wii don't like +R discs, try purchase only -R
Me too, i got 50 Sony-R's at Target for $10 US. Steer clear of DVD+R's, you CAN use them if you change booktypes, but they're just as expensive and are just a knockoff standard anyway... (Kind of ironic that I use Sony -R's
laugh.gif
)

QUOTE(wolffangalchemist @ Dec 4 2008, 10:47 PM) Memorex dvd-r with CMC, MAG, AM3 manufacture id work no problems and there pretty cheap too the cool colors 15 packs and plain silver disk 20 packs are that id the 5 packs tend to be RITEKF1 and they don't burn to good for me lots of DRE.

If you get lots of DRE's with ANY media, you might as well invest in a better burner instead of 'better' media. With a good burner, you can burn pretty much any media with any speed and get good copies. I've never had a bad burn, and used to use some Discs that just said 'Great Quality' on them. They were terrible and wouldn't even work in our DVD player when burnt with the family Emachines, but on my computer they were fine with anything, even backups, because I had a better drive. Most people have problems because their drive doesn't do well with certain media, so why not just invest in something that does?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
QUOTE said:
wolffangalchemist said:

I really don't mean to offend you Wolf but those are some of the worst discs out there. (Memorex, CMC, MAG). Of course YMMV and if they work for you, great. But, there are posts everywhere about their poor quality. I used to use Pro-disc discs but so many people were having issues I quit using them "just-in-case". It's only a few cents more to get a quality disc like TY, Sony, Verbatim.

there 2nd class, there are worst than that, I had a 25 pack and they only worked if burnt at half speed (8X), now I'm using Sony DVD+R accucore and I can burn at 16X, with none wasted so far..!!
smile.gif

Made in Taiwan: Sony
Disc ID: SONY-D21-00
Book Type: DVD+R

here is "Da List"

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work at Best Buy, so I get Dynex dirt cheap. Burnt ACCF X4 w/ imgBurn and works like a charm. Then burnt Sonic, same thing, free games + Cheap discs = one happy gammer.
rolleyes.gif
But like Slowking said:...

Slowking said:
Depends on your burner and your Wii.

So buy a 5 pack of any brand, test it, if it works, stick w/ it.

Edit:I never tried higher speeds, X4 worked, so I didn't try any other, besides it only takes about 30min, faster than going to the store and then coming back.

planetpatrol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HP DVD-R

Got em dirt cheap at Staples, literally the cheapest thing they had and I cant attribute a single coaster to them.

-first post! thanks to everyone contributing to the wii scene here, respected and appreciated!

DST3mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memorex-DVDR works like a charm for me, haven't gotten a bad burn ever with it and for 2 Verbatim I buy I could get an extra 50 memorex DvD-R, they constantly burn with a dvdinfo pro of 96+ too(I got much lower burns on my DVD burner since it sucked), I noticed that after I burned them with the better drive I got shorter loading times at the castlevania character select screen.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dmonkey21 said:
If you get lots of DRE's with ANY media, you might as well invest in a better burner instead of 'better' media. With a good burner, you can burn pretty much any media with any speed and get good copies. I've never had a bad burn, and used to use some Discs that just said 'Great Quality' on them. They were terrible and wouldn't even work in our DVD player when burnt with the family Emachines, but on my computer they were fine with anything, even backups, because I had a better drive. Most people have problems because their drive doesn't do well with certain media, so why not just invest in something that does?
my burner is new it's a HP dvd1040i multi drive with lightscribe and the RITEKF1's where the first disk that gave me a bad burn.
i'm not buying another one this one isn't even 3 months old yet still needs breaking in good.

QUOTE(goober22 @ Dec 4 2008, 11:04 PM) I really don't mean to offend you Wolf but those are some of the worst discs out there. (Memorex, CMC, MAG). Of course YMMV and if they work for you, great. But, there are posts everywhere about their poor quality. I used to use Pro-disc discs but so many people were having issues I quit using them "just-in-case". It's only a few cents more to get a quality disc like TY, Sony, Verbatim.
meh i take no offence but cmc aren't too bad not as high a quality as verbatim or TY but you can get ALOT more disk so quantity fixes any problem disk as there are more to use if a bad burn.
lets see 100 pack of memorex is $15 at the lowest price (big lots gotta love bulk stores even seen and got verbatim disk there) when a 50 pack of Verbatim is $20 or more depending on the store.
i'll use them till i see major "problems" with them so far still no bad burns.

also if you guys think cmc is BAD try burning anything on a JVC disk if nothing else you will get LULZ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1