Best Arcade Football Game?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy watching football, but to play I'd prefer an arcade one where players could throw the ball and run than stopping a little too often.

Cyberball for the Genesis comes to mind as a fun arcade football game.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My over all favorite is probably NFL Blitz & my favorite version is 2003. It just might not be the arcade style you are looking for
I looked up 'arcade football' on YouTube and that game showed up. It's friggin' awesome.

Thanks for your recommendation, I'll be playing it.

Reactions: DillyDilly

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm... Is this about American football,or about the sports that's also known in the rest of the world as soccer? :unsure:

In the latter camp, I've got fond memories of Capcom soccer shootout on the snes (especially the indoor variant). And of course that mario strikers game, though i haven't played it much.
Oh, and 'behold the kickmen' on Steam,though that's more for the parody value (kind of ironic that it plays better than most modern games regardless).

I don't haven't played any American football. Heard good things of neo geo games, but i can't even name names.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm... Is this about American football,or about the sports that's also known in the rest of the world as soccer? :unsure:

In the latter camp, I've got fond memories of Capcom soccer shootout on the snes (especially the indoor variant). And of course that mario strikers game, though i haven't played it much.
Oh, and 'behold the kickmen' on Steam,though that's more for the parody value (kind of ironic that it plays better than most modern games regardless).

I don't haven't played any American football. Heard good things of neo geo games, but i can't even name names.
A Soccer game by Capcom? That's interesting. Thanks.

Konami has ruined their PES franchise so EA has effectively no real competition any more. I'd not bet on Capcom making a new Soccer game since they're so focused with SF, but it would be good if they did.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just play Madden? It's exactly the same concept as Cyberball. You pick a play, then attempt to carry it out. That's kinda all there is to it. You run or you pass. You can also set Madden to Arcade, Simulation, or Competitive. Arcade mode can be fun with lots of fumbles, pulling off huge plays, less rules, etc. Arcade mode along with turning the difficulty level down will absolutely give you an arcade football feeling. Just no breaking bones or body slamming people. Haha. Edit: I forgot that Madden 21 and 22 also have "The Yard" which is a faster action, 6 vs 6, arcade type mode. There's also Madden NFL Arcade from 2009. My son and I had a lot of fun with that one. It's 5 vs 5, no clock, no penalties, etc.

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A Soccer game by Capcom? That's interesting. Thanks.
It certainly is. I remember trying to find out again as a rom and couldn't find it, even though the name was clearly on the cartridge (which i actually had as a kid). But not only is that 'Capcom' s' part of the name, it 's also known under a different name in NTSC region (you might want to Google it if needed). It uses fictional names, but is certainly a fun game that lets you tackle and ram into players when you don't have the ball. That even made' regular 'soccer a fun experience, as when caught by the referee you can see your player perform good action in slow motion while the referee(probably randomly) decides whether to give a card or not.
(couch pvp meant we both screamed at the referee or' told him' it was a fair move :P)

Indoor doesn't stop for anything, so it's not too uncommon to have a few players knockout on the field of they got hit too often. :P

... Damn now I want to play it again. :P

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It certainly is. I remember trying to find out again as a rom and couldn't find it, even though the name was clearly on the cartridge (which i actually had as a kid). But not only is that 'Capcom' s' part of the name, it 's also known under a different name in NTSC region (you might want to Google it if needed). It uses fictional names, but is certainly a fun game that lets you tackle and ram into players when you don't have the ball. That even made' regular 'soccer a fun experience, as when caught by the referee you can see your player perform good action in slow motion while the referee(probably randomly) decides whether to give a card or not.
(couch pvp meant we both screamed at the referee or' told him' it was a fair move :P)

Indoor doesn't stop for anything, so it's not too uncommon to have a few players knockout on the field of they got hit too often. :P

... Damn now I want to play it again. :P
I tend to play put of date sports games because they offer better gameplay than the newer yearly release.

It might interest you to know Captain Tsubasa (PS4) plays a lot like PES so if Bandai would keep that franchise or game alive for years to come, people who like footie games wouldn't be stuck to FIFA only. Well, unless Konami would undo everything and went back to PES.

Reactions: Taleweaver

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only American Football game I ever played was the Amiga port of the original Madden. But I'm gonna go ahead and recommend Speedball 2 anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow