Hacking Best 3DS Flashcart?

Orel1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'll be buying a 3DS soon and I was wondering what would be the best flashcart to buy and the least likely to be blocked, also GBA playablity is important and SNES playbality is kinda important, so I was thinking about the Supercard DSTWO with a 8GB Micro SD, is there a better option?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty much the only option. The 3DS has no slot-2 so you cannot run GBA natively, emulation is the only option. Of those carts with a GBA emulator, the DSTwo has the best and is the only recommended cart that can do GBA emulation. Same sort of deal with SNES, the DSTwo's the best.

If you're getting a 3DS for emulation, though, I'd recommend something else (like a PSP). "The best" is relative, GBA and SNES emulation is still slightly laggy and imperfect even on the DSTwo (and is worse on lesser carts). The DS is a highly underpowered machine, and while the DSTwo has it's own processor to offset that issue, it's still got limits and isn't enough for the best gameplay.

Reactions: 1 person

Orel1996

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Thanks for the comments :) I currently have a PSP and a DS (got the PSP from a friend), but figured that if I get a 3DS I might as well get all the entratainment I can out of it, and not carry around 3 devices. I'll be taking the Supercard DSTWO then as I thought, thanks :)

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be buying a 3DS soon and I was wondering what would be the best flashcart to buy and the least likely to be blocked, also GBA playablity is important and SNES playbality is kinda important, so I was thinking about the Supercard DSTWO with a 8GB Micro SD, is there a better option?

If you want GBA and SNES emulation on the 3DS (and I mean decently playable), then you are going to have to wait until we have flash carts that can run in 3DS mode since the only ones we have right now only run in DS mode which can only take advantage of DS level resources (simpler terms, low power mode)

xXMortalKombatXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's pretty much the only option. The 3DS has no slot-2 so you cannot run GBA natively, emulation is the only option. Of those carts with a GBA emulator, the DSTwo has the best and is the only recommended cart that can do GBA emulation. Same sort of deal with SNES, the DSTwo's the best.

If you're getting a 3DS for emulation, though, I'd recommend something else (like a PSP). "The best" is relative, GBA and SNES emulation is still slightly laggy and imperfect even on the DSTwo (and is worse on lesser carts). The DS is a highly underpowered machine, and while the DSTwo has it's own processor to offset that issue, it's still got limits and isn't enough for the best gameplay.

just a question, if the 3ds has the DS mode then it should be able to natively support GBA games on the sandboxed DS right? but it has no slot-2 so someone with full acess to the 3DS (wich is only nintendo for now) can write a homebrew to acess this feature and play GBA roms at full speed, am i right?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

just a question, if the 3ds has the DS mode then it should be able to natively support GBA games on the sandboxed DS right? but it has no slot-2 so someone with full acess to the 3DS (wich is only nintendo for now) can write a homebrew to acess this feature and play GBA roms at full speed, am i right?
No, GBA-mode cannot use the DS cart slot (since it's not part of the GBA, it's not activated in GBA mode). That's why you need a DS with a GBA slot and a GBA-slot flash cart. When you pick a game on your DS cart, it sends the game to the GBA slot and then boots it, since GBA mode can't access the data in the DS cart slot it runs it from the GBA-cart slot.

Since there's no GBA-cart slot on the DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, or 3DS XL, it can't be run like that.

nutsnbolts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I look at it. The 3DS had the capacity to emulate and play GBA and the like...games. Buying the DSTWO will put in the position for a better experience in comparison to the other carts.

With that said honestly playing DS games is the limit I'm willing to tolerate playability on the device. It's no comparison to a home brewed PSP but definitely either the DSTwo or AK2i carts will do the jobs it was intended to do. If you want to push the limit then g with the DSTwo but you will probably not bother in the future because it won't be the best experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg