Hacking WIP Been working on a little something.

Are you interested in a modchip that doesn't require jigs, button presses or NAND corruption?

• Yes!

Votes: 104 82.5%
  • No!

Votes: 22 17.5%

• Total voters

aut0mat3d

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks, appreciate it!
btw: thought about having a "real Tristate" behaviour for Pin10?
This will only need a Diode in Serial to Pin 10 to avoid Detection of the Pullup Resistors of the uC..

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plz if you have knowledge, could you plz consider bypassing nand and redirecting it to a modchip with M-SD adapter to have a safe emunand M-SD with every data always there and leaving Switch M-SD port to keep changing M-SD with different games to run, but always having all saves and data on the same emunand only M-SD inside the chip.

I want this feature so badly as I think 1TB will not even be that much of size to have and M-SD are too expensive here so I plan to keep buying some over the years when they appear in promotion...

As having a gazillion number of M-SDs and having to have a emunand on all of them is a big waste of space and if I wanted all the emunands to have the same data in all of them I would have to keep backing them up and updating all emunands which is a big hassle...

And I also want emunand CFW over Nand CFW, though we are very safe on switch because removing nand chip enters RCM and we can flash a backup ;)

Last edited by guily6669,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking a microSD slot adapter board would be interesting. Considering that the eMMC is basically just a straight up breakout board (and the SD card spec is a superset of eMMC) there should be very little to prevent substituting a bog-standard microSD card for the eMMC module. The major difference is that actual eMMC chips are made to handle faster/more writes than microSD is, and there might be some issues with writable page sizes.

People could have a 400gb NX console that way.

As for how to disconnect from the port after injecting, there are highspeed switch ICs designed or this. They are about the size of a large surface mount capacitor. (they are intended for mechanical assembly onto the pcb.) Integration into a modchip pcb design would be trivial. The issue is how to disable the physical port without cutting circuit traces on the NX mainboard, then bridge through one of these switching ICs so that the physical port can be programatically disabled. (which would allow the dock to remain on the port; the port's data lines would be redirected via the switch chip to the modchip, which would do the injection, then switch it back.)

Goseph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Thanks, appreciate it!
btw: thought about having a "real Tristate" behaviour for Pin10?
This will only need a Diode in Serial to Pin 10 to avoid Detection of the Pullup Resistors of the uC..
Thats a great idea. I will modify the design and add the diode and a jumper for bypassing it for experimentation purposes. Another method to achieve this could be to toggle the pin as a high impedance input after RCM is booted, that way it would be practically invisible to the switch, even without the diode.

Last edited by Goseph,
Reactions: peteruk and Frexxos

Goseph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I look forward to seeing it progress. Where can you find a reset signal?
I added the R pad for compatibility with software for rebugs modchip, haven't really looked for a reset signal. Current plan is to read from an always on power supply like the ram supply, that should be a pretty good way to ensure that the chip only runs on power on and not when you wake it up from sleep.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I added the R pad for compatibility with software for rebugs modchip, haven't really looked for a reset signal. Current plan is to read from an always on power supply like the ram supply, that should be a pretty good way to ensure that the chip only runs on power on and not when you wake it up from sleep.
Cool sounds good, but what about reboot?

aut0mat3d

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Probably only tapping the Reset Line on the Switch Mobo would be enough (if accessable) - Flag NSW Reset Low>High - Go for VID/PID > Payload

Goseph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Probably only tapping the Reset Line on the Switch Mobo would be enough (if accessable) - Flag NSW Reset Low>High - Go for VID/PID > Payload
Yeah, that's also what I've decided on. I was just a dofus and didn't read the reswitched hardware documentation properly, I found it odd that no reset TP was discovered, until i took the time to read it properly :glare:

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, off the wall question, but are you against streaming your progress? Ktemin does something like this and it's insanely interesting to watch the progress live.

Goseph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Kate from the Reswitched team has made a general repository to collect various mod chip designs. When you progress enough, you may consider doing a pull request to add your design to the repo.

https://github.com/reswitched/rcm-modchips
I like that idea. Having all the information in one place makes it so much easier for the end user.

link270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey if you need any testers or assistance let me know. I’ve got pretty decent soldering experience and a background in programming. I can obviously send proof if needed.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Goseph

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hey if you need any testers or assistance let me know. I’ve got pretty decent soldering experience and a background in programming. I can obviously send proof if needed.
That might be useful, I will contact you if I need programming assistance. Not my biggest strength :)

And some updates. I will soon be finished with my exams this will allow a lot more time for this project.
I'm adding a 16MB SPI flash - very large payloads!
I've also considered adding bluetooth, which would enable configuration and payload uploads from your phone at any time. Maybe even firmware update!
And I'm still waiting for a proper tri wing screwdriver i ordered, already stripped more screws than I'm comfortable admitting.
I will release the hardware as soon as it's done, and then I will get to work on the software.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might be useful, I will contact you if I need programming assistance. Not my biggest strength :)

And some updates. I will soon be finished with my exams this will allow a lot more time for this project.
I'm adding a 16MB SPI flash - very large payloads!
I've also considered adding bluetooth, which would enable configuration and payload uploads from your phone at any time. Maybe even firmware update!
And I'm still waiting for a proper tri wing screwdriver i ordered, already stripped more screws than I'm comfortable admitting.
I will release the hardware as soon as it's done, and then I will get to work on the software.

Hey, how is this mod coming along?
This is currently the only implementation that impresses me the most, because it takes care of setting the console into RCM for you. Afaik no other modchip does that.
It would be awesome if this gets finished.

One thing that should be done imo, is to write a payload for all these mods that chainloads another (preferbly the CFW) payload from the microSD card, maybe even with a menu where you can select different payloads.
I like the trinklet M0 approach where you can press the back of the case to update the payload, but afaik your prefered payload needs to be written INTO the trinket M0 specific code which will cause a clusterf*** of payload version where nobody knows the source etc.
That's why I think a simple loader payload that chainloads all the payloads you want from the SD card is the best solution, because the CFW devs will update their payloads one million times in the future, this way we won't have to rely on the devs of these modchips to create all these payloads for us for each specific modchip.

Last edited by FR0ZN,
Reactions: aut0mat3d

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM