Homebrew Be careful before/after you register for the Nintendo Developer Portal!

Sticky?

• Yes

Votes: 165 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 19.1%

• Total voters

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm not understanding here is what exactly the appeal is to using the SDK in the first place? Why risk using any of the official SDK when we already have a toolchain? about the only thing that I can see of benefit might be unity, but it's my understanding that even that isn't all it's cracked up to be anyways...

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got visual studio 2016 enterprise for free. Why dont you get it that way and then buy it later. That way you can start making your game
I am guessing you meant Visual Studio 2015. Enterprise edition is not available for me in this region, and so is Professional. I don't know how you obtain it, but it's not available for me either way.

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe you're right, if you are able to ignore tons of IntelliSense errors. It will annoy you very much, and you can't be able to filter out which error is legitimately warranted.
Honestly, everything compiles fine and the only warning I got was because of an env var not being set correctly

D

Deleted User

What I'm not understanding here is what exactly the appeal is to using the SDK in the first place? Why risk using any of the official SDK when we already have a toolchain? about the only thing that I can see of benefit might be unity, but it's my understanding that even that isn't all it's cracked up to be anyways...
I can think of these being way more user-friendly. You most of the time don't have to deal with command prompts and PATHs. Install and you can compile.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing you meant Visual Studio 2015. Enterprise edition is not available for me in this region, and so is Professional. I don't know how you obtain it, but it's not available for me either way.

Yeah its 2015. I was thinking if different enterprise programing suit

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They have official extensive support from the Nintendo Software Development Support Group (just like Unity3D employees working with developers on bugs/issues/etc.). If you have issues, go to the Developer Portal Forums, and post your question. 24/7, you will have someone answering your inquiries, and you will get 100% answers on it. That's one major benefit that I see is important when you want to get answers accurately and fast.

Reactions: Deleted User

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
I haven't checked into it yet, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if part of the signature of the compiled files uniquely identified the person who built it.
All zip's are directly downloadable after the registration. There is nothing whats get recompiled for you. Also the License File informations i got a view into don't have any exclusive informations about you.
Only thing i'm not sure about, is the unity key, maybe all get the same, maybe not. That would be the only thing which could be unique for everyone.

For the Topic itself... mostly i read flaming about the ND~no one cares~. You dont have agree to something to break the law. Yes leaking the files is bad, everyone about this is right.. but to say you get sued, raped, killed, nintendon't or or or.. nope.. not more then using a cracked application.

I think everyone know what they do, if the download / use the tools. This is nothing special to fear about.
What will the worst case they can do? Shut it down? BUHU many got the files, some tools wouldn't work anymore (Unity => Key Change / Block) and? Find all people by there IP Address? Destroy there own name by sueing kids / young adults for a fault they maybe made?

Honestly, everything compiles fine and the only warning I got was because of an env var not being set correctly
Also Unity? Didn't get it to work,getting a licensing compile error and the documentation sucks..

D

Deleted User

Also Unity? Didn't get it to work,getting a licensing compile error and the documentation sucks..
Unity is working fine. I don't know why people are getting all these license errors on it. Create a thread on the forum. They are good at solving problems.

Reactions: DarkIrata

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
So um... about that reverse engineering clause. Does that mean ROM Hacking is of the table to those that signed the NDA, because I've seen certain users do things with the SDK and ROM Hacking.

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So um... about that reverse engineering clause. Does that mean ROM Hacking is of the table to those that signed the NDA, because I've seen certain users do things with the SDK and ROM Hacking.
That's not covered by the reverse engineering part. But it's covered from another statement, that says that the tools can be used only to develop software for Nintendo platforms and every other use needs written approval from Nintendo

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not covered by the reverse engineering part. But it's covered from another statement, that says that the tools can be used only to develop software for Nintendo platforms and every other use needs written approval from Nintendo
This should be added to the OP as it is another way for folks to shoot themselves in the foot.

(Also, OP, the writeup from ketal doesn't load properly in the OP, It doesn't fully expand and there is no expand button. Might want to remove the spoiler tags from the quote.)

Owarai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For clarification (because I'm confused): if you sign the nda, you can also develop for your own ho ebrew as long as the sdk and knowledge from the sdk wasn't used?

Owarai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, what would be the limitations? I'm actually curious to see what the sdk has to offer, but I also want to release homebrew for fun.

Edit: nvmd. I think you meant that I would be limited to what I do, and wouldn't be able to contribute. Gotcha!

Last edited by Owarai,

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
People need to learn accountability and responsibility for their own actions. I have no doubt there are many who will blindly enter this binding legal agreement and break it out of ignorance and immaturity, then pay for their willing negligence. It is people who are oblivious to and who do not care about the rules and run headfirst into things that they selfishly think will benefit them that will get into trouble. I have no doubt that a lot of people will come a cropper because of this and if they do quite frankly it will be well deserved.

You cant go around signing up for things out of entitlement and doing whatever it is you feel like kiddos, you have to have some respect and foresight for the rules and the way the world works.

Kingy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People need to learn accountability and responsibility for their own actions. I have no doubt there are many who will blindly enter this binding legal agreement and break it out of ignorance and immaturity, then pay for their willing negligence. It is people who are oblivious to and who do not care about the rules and run headfirst into things that they selfishly think will benefit them that will get into trouble. I have no doubt that a lot of people will come a cropper because of this and if they do quite frankly it will be well deserved.

You cant go around signing up for things out of entitlement and doing whatever it is you feel like kiddos, you have to have some respect and foresight for the rules and the way the world works.
Thanks p1ngpong for this post, I agree.
Alright, what would be the limitations? I'm actually curious to see what the sdk has to offer, but I also want to release homebrew for fun.

Edit: nvmd. I think you meant that I would be limited to what I do, and wouldn't be able to contribute. Gotcha!
You can develop homebrew still.

Last edited by Kingy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tell Florida citizens meth is a ac unit in the mouth