Homebrew Banner Brick Questions

ecw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a ton of reading, I might be more confused now than before. lol. I am trying to figure out how a banner brick happens. From what I read, it is due to a bad "banner" ie;wrong size, etc, and then corrupts the system menu.

My questions:

1)When does the banner brick happen? When rebooting the Wii after installing the bad wad? Or can it happen anytime after?

2)If it can happen later, is it preventable by running from the SD in the new 4.0 feature?

3)Is there a way to tell if the Wad is safe/correct BEFORE I install it?

Thanks!!

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The wii will crash when loading the system menu if there is a bad banner.
If a wad has been installed correctly, it will not cause a brick later.

ecw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
The wii will crash when loading the system menu if there is a bad banner.
If a wad has been installed correctly, it will not cause a brick later.

Thanks for the info kedest! I fell better now. I was always paranoid when installing wads for this very reason. So if all the wads I have already installed work fine (I now moved them to the SD card) after several reboots, I guess I those wads were ok?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
They're ok then. If there had been something wrong with them, you would have noticed it right after the first reboot.
When installing wads, you should always have preloader installed. It can help you to recover from a banner brick.

ecw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
They're ok then. If there had been something wrong with them, you would have noticed it right after the first reboot.
When installing wads, you should always have preloader installed. It can help you to recover from a banner brick.

Thanks for the advice on preloader. I was going to give it a try. Can it brick your Wii if not done correctly? (Sorry haven't researched it much yet) I also was to thrilled to hear about the April Fools joke from Preloader. That might scare some people away. Is there a guide you recommend?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The installation is pretty simple, just run the dol file. I'm running preloader 0.28 on firmware 3.2. That's all working fine, never had any problems.
Version 0.29 is out now and is compatible with firmware 4.0. Look for user experiences in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144468
Just make sure that the hacks in the hack.ini file are for your own region.

If you install preloader today, you will probably see the april fools joke. It will show a fake 'now repairing files' message

ecw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks great and I appreciate your time! I will start my "reading" now. lol Thanks again!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1