Gaming Backwards compatibility is a "must"

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a degree in computer engineering. I know a thing or two about how this stuff works.
oh shit ended. you dont even need a computer engineering degree, its basic logic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

... Look. I want you, right now, to pull out your phone and try to run Cemu on it. COMPLETELY disregarding the power differential between a computer and your phone, it can't run it because it's x86 code emulating PPC code that's not meant to run on an ARM processor. Now bring that power differential back in and you'll find that even if you could run it, it would go at 5fps, if that. THAT'S what we're looking at here
What are you on? As long as i believe nintendo can do anything! *sobs* dont ruin my dreams man! :cry:

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,
Reactions: Mana's_Path

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
NIN already said they aint gonna stop the ds line soon, so most likely the next NIN HANDHELD (real handheld, not hybrid), will be a ds series. the switch is going to replace the wii u , even if NIN guys says otherwise.
So hard backward compatible is likely to be on the next ds ( for GB*, *DS ), but the switch is not going to be hard b/c with the gcn family( GCN,WII, WIIU). they would need to make a rom wrapper to emulate the old games to like the non-ds VC games for the DS series, and all VC games for the WIIU. you would need to have a dolphin level emu for any gcn based b/c.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NIN already said they aint gonna stop the ds line soon, so most likely the next NIN HANDHELD (real handheld, not hybrid), will be a ds series. the switch is going to replace the wii u , even if NIN guys says otherwise.
So hard backward compatible is likely to be on the next ds ( for GB*, *DS ), but the switch is not going to be hard b/c with the gcn family( GCN,WII, WIIU). they would need to make a rom wrapper to emulate the old games to like the non-ds VC games for the DS series, and all VC games for the WIIU. you would need to have a dolphin level emu for any gcn based b/c.
Evidence? Its just stupid for them to release a portable unless its massively cheaper, kind of like an entry level switch. ($120-145)

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Evidence? Its just stupid for them to release a portable unless its massively cheaper, kind of like an entry level switch. ($120-145)
there were a lot of game news sites earlier this week about NIN not stopping the 3ds anytime now like http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-29-nintendo-isnt-replacing-3ds-with-switch
moreover the switch is not going to be their main handheld, it will be their main home console, even with the hybrid gimmick. also most NIN home console were fundamentally different from the last, with new features that changed gameplay, but all handheld have the same bases, from the GB to the 3DS(even if the DS added a second screen, gameplay was more or less the same). when trends are good, keep it that way.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the SNES, N64 and GameCube all had backwards compatible peripherals, even though it was just for Gameboy games.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
there were a lot of game news sites earlier this week about NIN not stopping the 3ds anytime now like http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-29-nintendo-isnt-replacing-3ds-with-switch
moreover the switch is not going to be their main handheld, it will be their main home console, even with the hybrid gimmick. also most NIN home console were fundamentally different from the last, with new features that changed gameplay, but all handheld have the same bases, from the GB to the 3DS(even if the DS added a second screen, gameplay was more or less the same). when trends are good, keep it that way.
And we all know the DS was just a third pillar and never replaced the GBA.

Oh, wait...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually the SNES, N64 and GameCube all had backwards compatible peripherals, even though it was just for Gameboy games.
Sure you can ducttape a 3ds to an NS and play games there (as those peripherals were basically complete consoles that you plugged in to the other one)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly. The Gameboy series isn't exactly what I'd call a predecessor to the home consoles. Also, as far as I am aware, the N64 didn't actually have any such peripheral. The closest I can think of is the Transfer Pak that allowed it to read data off of a gameboy cartridge so it could use your pokemon data in Pokemon Stadium. Now you could play said game in Pokemon Stadium, but I understand that to be through an emulator built into Pokemon Stadium.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly. The Gameboy series isn't exactly what I'd call a predecessor to the home consoles. Also, as far as I am aware, the N64 didn't actually have any such peripheral. The closest I can think of is the Transfer Pak that allowed it to read data off of a gameboy cartridge so it could use your pokemon data in Pokemon Stadium. Now you could play said game in Pokemon Stadium, but I understand that to be through an emulator built into Pokemon Stadium.
Indeed, but as all said consoles came out after the GB and the original post is talking about cross platform backwards compatibility, I would say that the peripherals are what made them backwards compatible. As far as the N64 is concerned, even though it was not an official licensed product, it does have a BC cartridge for NES and SNES.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristar_64

Edit: Even the SNES had the Super8 cart to play NES games.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_(video_game_accessory)

Last edited by DarkWork0, , Reason: Add more info

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool but because the hardware's different Nintendo won't be able to offer native BC, they will however have VC 3DS and VC Wii U so you'll be able to buy them again if you want.

I'm fine with it. I keep my Nintendo consoles.

EDIT

Nintendo doesn't even sell the Wii U GamePads separately (maybe in US bot not Europe). If you want one, either buy off the eBay marketplace or buy a Wii U console bundle.

I'm planning on buying the Wind Waker HD Premium Wii U Bundle if retailers decide to sell for a reasonable price (somewhere around £99-150).
They don't sell them seperate here either. Its an issue with using two via the WiFi, the intention was to correct it with an update, but they were never pulled it off successfully. More than one works fine on a dev kit, hardwired however...

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't sell them seperate here either. Its an issue with using two via the WiFi, the intention was to correct it with an update, but they were never pulled it off successfully. More than one works fine on a dev kit, hardwired however...
I assumed they had lost interest in doing so when people weren't buying the console. Why sell an expensive peripheral for a console that's already not selling?

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
NIN have been known to release many peripherals that promote inter-platform gameplay, forcing you to buy both consoles to enjoy the game, or old controller support to make you upgrade and experience old play style with new games.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NIN have been known to release many peripherals that promote inter-platform gameplay, forcing you to buy both consoles to enjoy the game, or old controller support to make you upgrade and experience old play style with new games.
They've never done anything to force it, they just make it possible to do it should you decide to

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assumed they had lost interest in doing so when people weren't buying the console. Why sell an expensive peripheral for a console that's already not selling?

That could very well be part of it. After the they fell short of their sales goals by a big margin, they may have decided to no longer pursue it *shrugs*. I know that initially it was a problem getting two gamepads to communicate on one console wirelessly, but like I said, if you hardwire two of them into a dev kit, you can access and fully utilize them

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played Gamecube games on my Wii and Wii games on my Wii U. Backwards compatibility has never been a selling point to me and it never will be. If I could pay $50 less just to not have it included I would take it, to me it just holds back the system from being more than it can be for its current gen.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why not with coffee