Gaming Backwards compatibility is a "must"

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because this is new and hasnt been even released nor has the spec to make these observations and be 100% correct
So why is it suddenly verboten to make an educated guess based on existing nVidia Tegra hardware and ARM architecture?

It isn't exactly a stretch to say Switch won't be able to emulate Wii U games due to the massive CPU overhead of emulating three PowerPC cores. Now, whether or not Nintendo will recompile their first-party Wii U titles for ARM and re-release them is another question. (and it seems likely given the "Mario Kart 8+" footage)

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok ill use this example again xbox one BC program didnt need new hardware i had mine since DAY 1 and didnt need to pay extra
Don't be naive.
You know we are paying extra in many ways, our money going directly into the salary of the engineers working on the x360 emulator. (Either you realize or you are dumb)

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why is it suddenly verboten to make an educated guess based on existing nVidia Tegra hardware and ARM architecture?

It isn't exactly a stretch to say Switch won't be able to emulate Wii U games due to the massive CPU overhead of emulating three PowerPC cores. Now, whether or not Nintendo will recompile their first-party Wii U titles for ARM and re-release them is another question. (and it seems likely given the "Mario Kart 8+" footage)

Man i think yall need to read the prior pages because i mainly spoke on NES SENS N64 emulation and touched on wii ds and wii uemulation stating an update will probably be needed 1st.

The only way you pay extra for xbox one BC is xbox live the system price didnt go up and its actually cheap at this point, regardless you gonna pay the engineers anyway thru the live cost or system cost or whatever like thats nothing new son

Last edited by MarzDaindigo,

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Man i think yall need to read the prior pages because i mainly spoke on NES SENS N64 emulation and touched on wii ds and wii uemulation stating an update will probably be needed 1st.

The only way you pay extra for xbox one BC is xbox live the system price didnt go up and its actually cheap at this point
Proper Wii U backwards compatibility, both native and emulated, is downright impossible on what we're expecting the Switch to be, as well as many devices that could outpower it

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Proper Wii U backwards compatibility, both native and emulated, is downright impossible on what we're expecting the Switch to be, as well as many devices that could outpower it

So youre expecting it not to run wii ds wii u that sounds a lot better than a flat out no because of a git feeling. And knowing the "history of nintendo devices"

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So youre expecting it not to run wii ds wii u that sounds a lot better than a flat out no because of a git feeling. And knowing the "history of nintendo devices"
No, just Wii U. Wii would probably be possible, but difficult, while DS should be simple.

It's not a simple matter of not knowing how Nintendo works, but rather, that it's just plain impossible to emulate complex hardware without the required specs

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
The only way you pay extra for xbox one BC is xbox live the system price didnt go up and its actually cheap at this point, regardless you gonna pay the engineers anyway thru the live cost or system cost or whatever like thats nothing new son
On the Playstation 2 you got a DVD player and Playstation 1 for free, how you ask???

The PS2 was also marketed as a DVD player to boost sales and was the cheapest DVD player of that time.
It also could play PS1 titles natively because the PS1 processor was included in the machine, but wasn't an extra, it was recycled to work as the IO controller of the PS2, some other hardware didn't changed at all or was a simple upgrade (controller interface, memory card controller and stuff like that). Clever hardware design.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Playstation 2 you got a DVD player and Playstation 1 for free, how you ask???

The PS2 was also marketed as a DVD player to boost sales and was the cheapest DVD player of that time.
It also could play PS1 titles natively because the PS1 processor was included in the machine, but wasn't an extra, it was recycled to work as the IO controller of the PS2, some other hardware didn't changed at all or was a simple upgrade (controller interface, memory card controller and stuff like that). Clever hardware design.

The PS2 was sold at a loss, so some features could be considered as free. Nintendo hardware is never sold at a loss. All features are built into the price. You are making yourself look dumb. What next, claim that restaurants give you free hamburger buns?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all mf dont disrespect me youre 1 year older than me so grow the fuck up. My point is if you aint working on the switch's interal circuitry then you cant say what it can or cant do until its released so just because you have a "degree" dont mean shit lol you can still be wrong bruh
My apologies for interpreting you to be younger based on your posts. You're ignorant beyond your years. Is that better?

Just because you do not understand how things work, does not mean that others who have spent years studying the subject do not.
Ok ill use this example again xbox one BC program didnt need new hardware i had mine since DAY 1 and didnt need to pay extra
The Xbox one does not have backwards compatibility. Have you noticed how even if you have the original disc you still need a large download? That's because the game itself has been ported. That's also why not every game is available; they haven't all been ported yet. Heck, I even discussed this when they first announced their supposed backwards compatibility. https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-on...contains-21-games-so-far.391296/#post-5544330

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
The PS2 was sold at a loss, so some features could be considered as free. Nintendo hardware is never sold at a loss. All features are built into the price. You are making yourself look dumb. What next, claim that restaurants give you free hamburger buns?
You are just enhancing my point. I said you got features for free on the PS2 and you are saying that is true.
Also many products are sold at a loss first, is called marketing strategy, they eventually regain the money by selling big volumes of the product.

Now think about who is the dumb here.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are just enhancing my point. I said you got features for free on the PS2 and you are saying that is true.
Also many products are sold at a loss first, is called marketing strategy, they eventually regain the money by selling big volumes of the product.

Now think about who is the dumb here.

No, you are still dumb. Nintendo products are not sold at a lose. The Switch will not be sold at a loss. Wii U emulation will not be possible, games will be ported, and they will make you pay for the ports, though may offer a nominal discount if you already have a copy. No, they don't make it up on volume. That's dumb. A loss in larger numbers is just a bigger loss. They make it up in game and accessory sales.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
No, you are still dumb. Nintendo products are not sold at a lose. The Switch will not be sold at a loss. Wii U emulation will not be possible, games will be ported, and they will make you pay for the ports, though may offer a nominal discount if you already have a copy. No, they don't make it up on volume. That's dumb. A loss in larger numbers is just a bigger loss. They make it up in game and accessory sales.
I'm no business expert (and I'm also terrible explaining) but about our PS2 discution see this and this, tha pretty much sums up what I was thinking. Also hardware production lowers with time so you'll make gains in the long run.

On the Nintendo thing, I never mentioned or said anything about Nintendo selling at a loss or much less, you are putting that as an excuse that has nothing to do about what I was talking about, but just to be educated I'll respond to your argument.
Taking in account Nintendo situation right now and the above business models (and how they help you catch costumers more specifically) we can say that the Nintendo Switch should be sold at a loss (yes, I know Kimishima said that they'll not sell at a loss) to attract costumers and then make up selling lots of copies of games (which in any case is pretty common in the industry and is what makes gaming companies make the most money, not hardware sales).

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So youre expecting it not to run wii ds wii u that sounds a lot better than a flat out no because of a git feeling.
It should be able to run Wii through emulation and should in theory have no problem running DS (again, through emulation). Other than that, though, that is literally what I've been saying this whole time

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
you guys should also consider the play style of the switch and how it can be adapted to play vc games. the *ds family had the dual screens, and most game utilized both screens extensively, like for the main gameplay( zelda PH and zelda ST), or game manipulation( avalon code), or just basic stats(most of the rest). the wii games were primarily controlled by motion controls based of position detection, with a few game relying on gyro. wii u game had more classic controls with most games being playable without relying on the gamepad screen, but some games need the 2nd screen for stats and maps. taking the switch, it was shown that the 2 mode were mutually exclusive, both cant work together, either it is in portable mode or docked mode, not extended mode like the wiiu. *ds control emulation could be easy in portable mode, since it will be more like the smartfone ds emulation, but in docked mode, i personally would not find it good to map directional controls to the touch, as some games need accurate sketching( okamiden) or swiping. for wii , they would need some extra gimick for docked mode, though in portable mode, they could use the touchscreen. the patents show that there is an IR emitter on the device, but NIN has not confirmed it. Wiiu id just not feasible as there is no dual play on the switch, the device needs to be docked to play on the tv. of screen mode in some games may work, but game with no off-screen feature would have problems to deal with.

tl:dr; just read it.

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be able to run Wii through emulation and should in theory have no problem running DS (again, through emulation). Other than that, though, that is literally what I've been saying this whole time

Ok......but check it, when did i EVER say that wii u emulation was a sure thing? I clearly spoke on nes snes n64 adamantly so idk WHY youre making it seem like im campaigning for wii u emu i never full stood behind the shit cuz i do know (despite ol boys opinion) about nintendo systems i might not have a degree for the shit but ive played Nins since i was 5 so i have a rough knowledge base of them. So ill say it AGAIN for the mentally impaired NES SNES AND N64 SHOULD BE POSSIBLE OUT THE BOX WITHOUT ANY UPDATES BUT WII DS AND WII U MAY WORK WITH AN UPDATE THAT ENABLES THE FUNCTION. Damn yall gettin titty twisted over some shit yall not even gettin money for tho.......relax

@grossaffe
Look lil dude you can have your degree but either way you referred to me as a "kid" like that gave you power which was wack as hell so provide an original astute observation and dont ride coat tails of someone i originated the conversation with. Im very intelligent so dont try and make me look dumb because you can imitate a high and mighty internet douche with no life. I stated my opinion in a respectful manner which if i was wrong then fine but you wanna name call? Yeaaaaa its pretty obvious whos more mature here. ANYWAY like i said if youre not spittin facts my way or working for Nin directly and just wanna go back and forth speculating about some shit you aren't even building lol then be my guess son.

Last edited by MarzDaindigo,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can see DS too, since you can just hold the console vertically and I'm sure they will be away to point at the TV.
No.

There won't be official DS support because they want to keep the DS series alive.

And holding the console vertically wouldn't really work because the Joy-Cons would be on the top/bottom.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
No.

There won't be official DS support because they want to keep the DS series alive.

And holding the console vertically wouldn't really work because the Joy-Cons would be on the top/bottom.

No, they don't.

They didn't keep the GB series alive after the DS, which supposedly wasn't going to replace it, came around.

All that talk about the Switch not replacing the Wii nor DS lines is pure PR bullshit.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
No.

We don't know and have no way to know yet, the presentation video is just a rough idea of what the Switch is.
It could be possible like this:
vlprmXx.jpg
But again, we have no way to know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: