Hacking Backup Loader vs Softmii?

LxTrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the differences between the two? Which works better? Which is easier to install? Which is less prone to a brick? Which one works with morre games?

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no difference because they both use the same DIP version. The compatibly is exactly the same. Softmii (CIOSCORP) is just more convenient for people to play backups because it boots off the disc channel. In my opinion, the backup loader has less chance of a brick, but Softmii still should not brick you Wii. Overall, you should go with Softmii because it is a noob friendly tutorial.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace that info is just wrong, as far as compatibility is concerned... Softmii does have higher compatibility than gamma. Gamma is around 95% Softmii is around 99%. the reason for the difference is that games are not forced to use an ios they weren't designed around. The softmii pack allows all games to use their original IOS, this is why games like HOD2+3 are working flawlessly under softmii but only half work with gamma. Brick risk is even between the two in all honesty if you properly follow instructions. they both use wads to install. Softmii however comes with preloader, which basically saves you from any future brick unless you install a new system menu or update.

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can use preloader with backup launcher, too and don't have to think about uninstall-methods with backup-launcher.

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but if you have preloader installed the gamma rebooter fails. so that wont solve disc channel loading, and then you still have that 4% of games that don't load that could
wink.gif

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're right. But it's much more secure to avoid brick (especially for beginners).
lecture.gif

You've read the thread about the funny guy who uninstalled every wad from "cioscorp" with wad-manager.
wink2.gif

People have to ask... "What do I want to do?" And if you just want to play some backups, you're going right with BLgamma.

That's it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A backup loader only requires 1 cIOS installed to your Wii and doesn't overwrite anything, while Softmii overwrites every IOS on the Wii even the most important one for 3.2 firmware IOS30(for 3.4 it would be IOS50). Softmii has a higher compatibility than a backup loader, but the brick risk with softmii is at least 10 times higher. Not because of the installation, it's because of people not knowing what this is and doing really stupid things. You can do stupid things with only a backup launcher too, but these are general stupid things, in softmii noobs have more chances to do stupid things.

About the compatibility, if you would install the cioscorp 0.5(cioscorp without IOS30), only Sam&Max, FarCry and maybe 2 other games would not be working in Gamma and SoftChip.

PS: Since when has the backup launcher a wad installation? The official version, the 002 fix version and SoftChip are all released as .dol(or only source for compiling the .dol).

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As for avoiding a brick the risk is identical to gamma as both require the use of wads. ARC has been tested over 18000 times without issue. and preloader is step two, also tested over 18,000 times without issue (the 18,000 times figure is because softmii has been installed over that many times already). so uhm yeah brick risk non existent unless you do something stupid like that guy, who should have known better as its been said 1000 times NEVER delete any IOS, always overwrite. Human stupidity can fuck up a backup loader install as easy as anything else. Just because you prefer gamma doesn't mean you should encourage others not to use other things.

Wiipower been awhile since i messed with gamma, i forgot that it can be installed with just .dol's but they still write to the system nand. Like we both said, no accounting for human stupidity.

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
digitydogs said:
As for avoiding a brick the risk is identical to gamma as both require the use of wads. ARC has been tested over 18000 times without issue. and preloader is step two, also tested over 18,000 times without issue (the 18,000 times figure is because softmii has been installed over that many times already). so uhm yeah brick risk non existent unless you do something stupid like that guy, who should have known better as its been said 1000 times NEVER delete any IOS, always overwrite. Human stupidity can fuck up a backup loader install as easy as anything else. Just because you prefer gamma doesn't mean you should encourage others not to use other things.

Sorry, but you're writing absolutely unobjective.

Do you really want to tell me, that Backup Launcher and "SoftMii" have the same risk to handle with?
Both: Installation and uinstallation??

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If something goes wrong during the installation of the cIOS for Gamma, the worst thing which could happen is a unusable IOS at IOS249(which can easly be uninstalled). If you consider softmii brick safe that is true, it's safe for you because you either know what to do and what not, or you just follow the instructons exactly. Some noobs don't read the correct(original) guides, but guides from other pages, you know how they look, do you? Some noobs don't follow the instructions exactly, and skip some steps, "because it seems they are not necessary". And certanly most noobs forget the section "Things that will brick your Wii after installation", directly after the installation.

FOR GAMMA YOU DON'T NEED WADS! I HAVE NO WADS INSTALLED, AND BOTH GAMMA AND SOFTCHIP WORK GREAT!

moosh01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D-Jay said:
digitydogs said:

Sorry, but you're writing absolutely unobjective.

Do you really want to tell me, that Backup Launcher and "SoftMii" have the same risk to handle with?
Both: Installation and uinstallation??
You are making a big deal over nothing D-Jay. Of coarse there are risks but people just have to be smart about it.

digitydogs

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You are making a big deal over nothing D-Jay. Of coarse there are risks but people just have to be smart about it.
exactly. maybe i should have stated it this way:
IF you follow the instructions properly the brick risk is .00000001% with either method. There everyone happy? lol

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh i have another group of noobs, a "funny" one. Some noobs don't know what a brick is, and the only important thing (while skipping steps in guides) is that the Wii doesn't become as useful as a stone, that's why they don't care about "if you (don't) do xxx, your Wii will be bricked".

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
moosh01 said:
No, I don't.

QUOTE(Vague Rant @ Feb 3 2009, 08:41 AM) D-Jay's point isn't "There are risks," it's "digitydogs is making SoftMii sound equally as safe as Backup Launcher," which is an entirely valid point.
You're right! And because of that, some people don't like the way, SoftMii goes...
Justifiably.

LxTrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahem as soon as people started trying to bash ahem ^^^^^ they lost my interest so if its not relevant and you are biased to your now what seems like a loyalty or fandom I rather not hear your opinion, thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu