Awe moments in games

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Inspired stolen by a Neogaf thread and it's probably been done here before (but we can start fresh!), post what games (preferably screenshots (and spoilers)) have made you go 'oh fuck'.

I'll start with what I posted on Neogaf and will post more for when I can think of anything else
Everything from the final boss onwards went too fast to take it all in. The music made it even more better
BNMdl.jpg

http://youtu.be/LgH7giie73A

Z2QfG.jpg

http://youtu.be/J33pcn5e08g
Go!

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably my first "oh shit" moment in my gaming life...fighting the final boss in Jackal for the NES. I thought the game was over and then 1:15 happened...
[youtube]idXy9yI8n5U[/youtube]

Then, over a decade later...

Street Fighter III...Gill
you thing you have him beat and then 3:12 happens...
[youtube]REqTXKFXgTo[/youtube]

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Persona 3 Portable
The entirety of the final month in the game, and the final battles against Strega and Nyx. Shit was awesome.

The World Ends With You
The battles against Sho and Beat and the other Reapers, alongside the final battle where Joshua reveals himself as Composer.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
The battle against Peace Walker and Zeke, shit was so fucking epic.

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and 358/2 Days
BBS: Ventus final boss. That Vanitas battle was godly.
358/2 Days: The battle against Riku, so fucking emotional ;O;

Pokemon Soul Silver/Crystal/White
The first time i encountered Red in Crystal and had my team obliterated, and my rematch against him on Soul Silver where i finally beat him. One of the best moments in Pokemon alongside the entire final battle in White (N and Ghetsis).

God Eater Burst
The final Hannibal battle, where Rin(IIRC?) reveals himself as Lindow's god eater and the battle itself, so fucking awesome.

Final Fantasy IX
The entire final sequence, Deathgaze, Trance Kuja and Necron. Fueled by the music this is one of my favorite gaming moments, EVER. Especially since it was my first RPG ever.

Dissidia Duodecim
Feral Chaos. Nothing else needs to be said.

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
The moment where Junpei gets Ace into his trap, Snake taking Ace down with him and the final sudoku puzzle. SO, FUCKING, EPIC.

All i can think of ATM. Most of em have pretty big spoilers so beware.

D

Deleted_171835

[title:Portal 2 (major spoiler)]Wait, why is my gun pointed at the moon? Oh my god, this is not happening.
SRNYU.png

HOLY SHIT, I'M ON THE MOON. (All sorts of emotions are flowing through me)
hVwbh.png

I'm crying now. ;_____;
NUy6v.png

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Valkyria Chronicles.
Any time Selvaria enters the battlefield really. However the most memorable scene for "Holy SHIT" are these two.

[youtube]juCH3QKyR1c[/youtube]

[youtube]VZ_Fr2m7HGc[/youtube]

Selvaria redefines "going out with a bang."

Edited in game title.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally when I play games like Oblivion (Fallout etc.), I'm more awe inspired by the scenery than large imposing enemies.

Though the first time I fired the Experimental MIRV, or threw a Holy Hand Grenade were OH FUCK! moments.

EX. MIRV:

[youtube]E-079ko59LQ[/youtube]

Holy Hand grenade

[youtube]7tZUFKe-uYw[/youtube]

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
Personally when I play games like Oblivion (Fallout etc.), I'm more awe inspired by the scenery than large imposing enemies.

Though the first time I fired the Experimental MIRV, or threw a Holy Hand Grenade were OH FUCK! moments.

EX. MIRV:

[youtube]E-079ko59LQ[/youtube]
thats nothing you should get your hands on the tactical nuclear warhead launcher

[youtube]7qjyNEBt2ao[/youtube]

basically they took the bomb from megaton and modded it into the fat man

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's probably not what you meant... but the trailer(s) for Ni No Kuni: Another World were awe-inspiring for me.

[youtube]AilUYs52DXY[/youtube]

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Only one i can think of is from back in 1997, and the feeling experienced when you left Midgar and found a world to explore....

Fin%20de%20l'autoroute.PNG

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing THIS for the first time...my jaw dropped. And you know yours did too.

429417-mass-effect-2-xbox-360-screenshot-looking-out-over-illium.jpg

Lemme tell you, ANYONE who had ANYTHING to do with making that game is a fuckin' stud. Every single one of them.

Watching a friend of mine rack up an 84 million point combo on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was pretty fuckin' impressive too. He was using Darth Maul just for extra cool points.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most Formidable Lord said:
[title:Portal 2 (major spoiler)]Wait, why is my gun pointed at the moon? Oh my god, this is not happening.
SRNYU.png

HOLY SHIT, I'M ON THE MOON. (All sorts of emotions are flowing through me)
hVwbh.png

I'm crying now. ;_____;
NUy6v.png

This.

Also...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JUNA-kapnY[/youtube]

EDIT: This is from The Darkness.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Seeing THIS for the first time...my jaw dropped. And you know yours did too.

Honestly, mine didn't. My jaw dropped at about everything else though. If you could see all that AND explore all that then I would've been awestruck (Oblivion, even though I'm not a fan, Fallout 3, and Just Cause 2 all awestruck me with the amount of open world there is). I'm not criticizing Mass Effect for it since I would not have expected or wanted it, but I wasn't particularly awestruck by the graphics or environments, even if they were original and unique.

The ending to Mass Effect (the original) left me awestruck, however, which is impressive since I knew there was a sequel (Half Life 2 didn't have the same effect because I knew there was sequels, plus I saw the intro to Episode 1). Mass Effect 2 didn't blow me away as much, but I definitely agree it's a better game.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
You know, it's cool you're all posting and all but

Please include the name of the game either before the spoiler or in the spoiler title.

And if you're posting a just picture, please include a name, everybody doesn't know every single game out there (like I didn't know about the Mass Effect one)

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have quite a few.

Gears of War 3

In Act IV, I must say that that my jaw dropped when it hit the sea. Not a spoiler since it has been seen in trailers, but the amount of colour and how it looked made my jaw drop.

Mass Effect 1

Same as Guild. I was in awe of the scene when Sovereign died. Simply amazing.

Bastion

This is easily my favourite game in recent memory, and the moment in question is when the music for Zia's theme kicks in. I just stood there for 10 minutes listening.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona 4
When Adachi is found to be the killer and reveals his plans
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkfHHWFfQ1A[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEhwZXxLRE[/youtube]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff