Hardware Are we ever going to get a real 512gb MicroSD card? (And no that Microdia one doesn't exsist)

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
There is a reason Secure Digital killed off the MiniSD.

I was coming to that point... I wonder if in today's world they'd have felt the need to go down to MicroSD. Remember they were introduced in the days of ever decreasing phone sizes, before the smart phone took off in any meaningful way. I know PCB real estate is always valuable regardless of what size you're building to, but miniSD and microSD are just as thin as each other, and in today's world of tablets, phablets and generally rather large phones would the SD Association really feel the need to go that much smaller?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice pic! Using that logic though why not just go with regular SD cards then? or SSD? Hell, tack on that new Optane card to the back of the Switch yeah!

I was coming to that point... I wonder if in today's world they'd have felt the need to go down to MicroSD. Remember they were introduced in the days of ever decreasing phone sizes, before the smart phone took off in any meaningful way. I know PCB real estate is always valuable regardless of what size you're building to, but miniSD and microSD are just as thin as each other, and in today's world of tablets, phablets and generally rather large phones would the SD Association really feel the need to go that much smaller?

I believe they killed it off due to a lack of support from hardware developers leading into poor sales of the cards themselves. MiniSD is less of a jump in physical size than MicroSD, which made MicroSD more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers- the difference in size is a lot more tangible. MiniSD never caught on with hardware developers or consumers- and so it didn't sell, so they stopped making them. If you were a manufacturer of something, would you continue to manufacture it in mass quantities for only mediocre sales? Probably not.

With storage mediums, it's not about what the chip manufacturers want at the end of the day- it's about what people want, and what their hardware supports.
If industry had suddenly started making all their hardware with MiniSD slots, it'd probably still be around today. Same for every other dead memory card type.
SD and MicroSD are really the only two that people have accepted, and are now widely used today.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
NAND chips are made up of NAND gate transistors. Moore's Law is not dead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/01/05/ces-2017-moores-law-not-dead-says-intel-boss/
A year ago they made a transistor that was a single atom. Intel wasn't the one to create it. Just because their products can get smaller, that doesn't mean Moore's law isn't dead.

My point was Moore's law has nothing to do with them usually being powers of two. There is nothing holding them to that constraint. It's not even really powers of two, since companies use decimal instead of binary to save money. It's marketing.

PS: You're being kind of a dick to everyone in this thread.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyhow to answer the original question in this thread- the answer is almost definitely- but I'm not too sure for how long it will be that data's physical space required will continue to shrink, however. I can't imagine it getting too much smaller over the course of the next 10-15 years.

Eventually the constant exponential improvements to this technology are going to start bumping heads with actual physical laws in the universe, I believe when that happens we'll see a stagnation on SD Card sizes- with it becoming cheaper and cheaper to produce the cards as manufacturing gets better and better at making them, driving competition, etc.

At the end of the current SD cards as a medium, as a result of physical space being a factor, standard SD cards will be capable of larger numbers when it comes to space, with MicroSD staying about half as small as the largest standard SD.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And Moore's law has nothing to do with them usually being powers of two.
Come again? The definition of Moore's Law is the exponential rise of transistor density every 2 years (used to be every year).

There is nothing holding them to that constraint.
No, but it doesn't make sense to retool the dies every month just for a few more GB.

PS: You're being kind of a dick to everyone in this thread.
You are absolutely correct sir. I don't have patience for ignorance and people arguing things that don't make sense and have no factual data to back it up.

Also I may have assbergers. /s

Sorry everyone. /s

I guess only time will tell if we get one or not.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Come again? The definition of Moore's Law is the exponential rise of transistor density every 2 years (used to be every year).
Just because a law has the word "two" in it doesn't mean it's related. As I pointed out, they aren't even doing powers of two.

No, but it doesn't make sense to retool the dies every month just for a few more GB.
Who said anything about that?

You are absolutely correct sir. I don't have patience for ignorance and people arguing things that don't make sense and have no factual data to back it up.

Sorry everyone.

I guess only time will tell.
Except you're the one who's ignorant. You didn't even realize Moore's Law died a year ago, but you're acting like an expert. I'm guessing you're a teenager.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you people seriously arguing the exact same point with each other? MicroSD cards have a smaller capacity than SD cards because they are physically smaller. Now drop it or I'll lock the thread.

Nice pic! Using that logic though why not just go with regular SD cards then? or SSD? Hell, tack on that new Optane card to the back of the Switch yeah!

My point, to make it absolutely clear, is that if Nintendo had used a full-sized SD card slot there would be no problem. However with MicroSD cards I believe it's possible that we may find ourselves limited in storage space if we intend to go all digital. I'm concerned that either future density miniaturization will be done on a new standard that replaces microSDXC (and thus would be incompatible with the Switch) or that by the time we actually see a smaller size the Switch would be obsolete and a new console will be out.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My point, to make it absolutely clear, is that if Nintendo had used a full-sized SD card slot there would be no problem. However with MicroSD cards I believe it's possible that we may find ourselves limited in storage space if we intend to go all digital. I'm concerned that either future density miniaturization will be done on a new standard that replaces microSDXC (and thus would be incompatible with the Switch) or that by the time we actually see a smaller size the Switch would be obsolete and a new console will be out.
I wish they went with SD also. You can always swap out for another card though, you will never really "run out of space" depending how deep your wallet is. Just think of it as a game cart that has more than 1 game on it and it's meant to be easily swapped out now, unlike the NN3DSXL where you have to unscrew the bottom cover.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If industry had suddenly started making all their hardware with MiniSD slots, it'd probably still be around today. Same for every other dead memory card type.
SD and MicroSD are really the only two that people have accepted, and are now widely used today.

This is entirely my point, though. The industry didn't want it because they were moving towards smaller and smaller phones at the time. That trend reversed when smartphones and tablets came onto the scene.

I recon we'd have a different situation in today's world is all

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Just to make it clear. Moore's Law is not dead, but is dying as long as we don't take quantum computing into this discussion. Also it declares that all 2 years the transistors per chip on a waver doubles. Not 1 year not 3 not half, 2 end.

Aaaaand it has nothing to-do with storage on the flash chips of the sd card.

For the main question, will it be possible? Yes, with a better way of saving the data we get more data on the same space

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to make it clear. Moore's Law is not dead, but is dying as long as we don't take quantum computing into this discussion. Also it declares that all 2 years the transistors per chip on a waver doubles. Not 1 year not 3 not half, 2 end.

Aaaaand it has nothing to-do with storage on the flash chips of the sd card.

For the main question, will it be possible? Yes, with a better way of saving the data we get more data on the same space
I just. I just can't. This thread is getting ridiculous again. Think whatever you wish. If you want to think that NAND flash storage is not made up of floating gate transistors then go ahead. If you want to think that the color purple is actually orange then go ahead. I choose to believe in reality and the laws of physics that govern said reality.

I'll just leave these here.

https://itblog.sandisk.com/does-storage-break-moores-law/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://www.ece.umd.edu/~blj/CS-590.26/nand-presentation-2010.pdf

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
I just. I just can't. This thread is getting ridiculous again. Think whatever you wish. If you want to think that NAND flash storage is not made up of floating gate transistors then go ahead. If you want to think that the color purple is actually orange then go ahead. I choose to believe in reality and the laws of physics that govern said reality.

I'll just leave these here.

https://itblog.sandisk.com/does-storage-break-moores-law/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://www.ece.umd.edu/~blj/CS-590.26/nand-presentation-2010.pdf
never said they are not made wth transistors, since everything is using transistors... you really need to learn reading.
But the law itself is only used for processing chips. Not flash chips.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Moore's law is about transistors that can be fit in a die. And it died a year ago.

The number of transistors that can fit on a die is a pretty good indication of memory density & Moore's law isn't dead. http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/intel-ces-2017-moore-law/

The problem is lack of competition and buyer apathy. People either make do with smaller microsd cards, or buy phones that don't even use them.

But the law itself is only used for processing chips. Not flash chips.

Cutting edge development happens first in cpu's because of commercial reasons, the technology flows down eventually. I'd expect gpu's & ssd's to follow moore's law because there is demand for better products.

Last edited by smf,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
256gb micro SD cards really haven't been on the market THAT long. I'd imagine yes there will be a point that 512gb cards will be a thing, but you should be ready to sink upwards of 200 dollars for it, and give it another year or so (at least) before it's a thing, seeing that they haven't even been announced yet.

Last edited by dubbz82,

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat